• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

ZenTraveler

Given my Audio Techica headphones have an impedance of 48 ohms I'm now doubting the suitability of this amp to drive them correctly
I too have v2 with 10 ohm output impedance. After comparing few cans including Audio-Technica 35 ohm cans and Tin T2 16 ohm iem on DX3 with another 1 ohm output impedance amp, I can't hear any difference between the 2 amps. I wouldn't worry about 10 ohm output impedance especially if using with headphone.

Reference Audio Analyzer site have plenty of headphones measurements and one of the test is when using different output impedance amp. This is for MSR7, 35 ohm headphone:
Annotatio.jpg

The difference in db were too small to be noticeable.
Other headphones:

Sennheiser HD 600, 300 ohm
Annotatio2.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT 990, 600 ohm
Annotatio2.jpg

Even for iem, not all are susceptible to 10 ohm output impedance. KZ models seems to be more susceptible than Tin models. Maybe due to BA driver.
KZ ZST, 10 ohm
Annotatio4.jpg

Tin T2, 16 ohm
Annotatio5.jpg

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I too have v2 with 10 ohm output impedance. After comparing few cans including Audio-Technica 35 ohm cans and Tin T2 16 ohm iem on DX3 with another 1 ohm output impedance amp, I can't hear any difference between the 2 amps. I wouldn't worry about 10 ohm output impedance especially if using with headphone.

Thanks! I think I saw solderdude mention somewhere, that the output impedance wasn't something to worry about, but even that didn't squelch my anxiety. This post has finally put it to rest. The DX3 is back at the top of my short list for a desktop setup :D

alekksander

after looking at the dx3 manual i'm pretty confused. thought i get this one but… what's the procedure to quickly switch from line out to hp? is it possible without enabling dac's volume control? the manual states it's not – is this right?

Rickydenim

How does this perform in line out mode? Any issues? Thinking of putting one of these in my lounge set-up going into my integrated amp.

ZenTraveler

after looking at the dx3 manual i'm pretty confused. thought i get this one but… what's the procedure to quickly switch from line out to hp? is it possible without enabling dac's volume control? the manual states it's not – is this right?
Click on Line Out / HP button on remote. Or double click to cycle between the 2 and also output both Line Out and HP at the same time.

How does this perform in line out mode? Any issues? Thinking of putting one of these in my lounge set-up going into my integrated amp.
I also have it connected to my active speaker, sound quality wise no issue. There's only the popping sound on active speaker if DX3 were turned off first before turn off the speaker. I'm not sure if it's DX3 issue or characteristic of active speaker. I also have another active speaker connected to my TV which also will make the popping sound if the TV were turned off first. I don't know if integrated amp will also make the popping sound.

sjeesjie

I just ordered a DX3Pro after reading the first couple of pages of this thread. Now I read that the V2 has a plop sound when switching off... I was planning to hook it up to a power amp so I hope it’s not that bad but still I’m a bit worried

mnemonix

Thanks! I think I saw solderdude mention somewhere, that the output impedance wasn't something to worry about, but even that didn't squelch my anxiety. This post has finally put it to rest. The DX3 is back at the top of my short list for a desktop setup :D

Well having received mine I can say the form factor is perfect, the build and appearance in person is great and the functionality and feature set exactly what I needed, including the bluetooth input, line out options, switchable gain and remote .

Obviously, it also appears to drive my 48 ohm Audio Technicas ok, but without the ability to directly A/B them from an alternative lower impedance amp I have no way of knowing whether the sound is suffering as a result of the 10 ohm impedance of the DX3 - I've said elsewhere I have the auditory memory of a goldfish and any claims of 'fluffy bass and repressed highs' (or whatever) would be ridiculous in this context, however that's not the point and I'm still somewhat annoyed that the specification is both sub par and not what I believed I was buying.

Last edited:

Rickydenim

Agree on the 10ohm output change however I've been playing my ATM50 and Elgia which are 35/38ohm and can't find any difference in comparison to my other head amps. If the unit is more stable as a result then its fine with me!

So far mine has been working great. Great sound and very good value!

Still tinkering with LDAC BT from my Note 10+. So far it seems to lower the volume, not sure of any improvement otherwise

alekksander

Click on Line Out / HP button on remote. Or double click to cycle between the 2 and also output both Line Out and HP at the same time.
that is without volume control? i think headphone output is always controllable with the gauge. is it possible to go from third position to first one without remote or removing power cable?

sjeesjie

that is without volume control? i think headphone output is always controllable with the gauge. is it possible to go from third position to first one without remote or removing power cable?
Yes without the remote you just cycle through the three modi. The sub-modi for line out are only accessible by remote or unplugging the power.

sjeesjie

I just ordered a DX3Pro after reading the first couple of pages of this thread. Now I read that the V2 has a plop sound when switching off... I was planning to hook it up to a power amp so I hope it’s not that bad but still I’m a bit worried
Well now I have used it for half a day, all my worries are gone! What a great piece of kit!

As I was worried about the line out modus accidentally switching to full power, I just threw the remote back into the box. Not a problem at all for me at least. All menu items are accessible without it. The remote would be the only way to accidentally mess it up.

ZenTraveler

that is without volume control? [
Yes, if without remote you need to double press the volume button to cycle between DAC > DAC+HP > HP.

is it possible to go from third position to first one without remote or removing power cable?
You mean when in pure DAC mode (can't adjust volume) to HP mode? Without cycle through Pre-AMP mode? Yes, that's the only option for v2.
On v2 Topping have change that only DAC or Pre-Amp mode will be the only 1 mode for Line Out. They have moved the option to change either DAC or Pre-AMP mode to only available when connect power cable while holding the volume button. This is to avoid the problem to us that use DX3 volume knob to control the volume but accidentally enter pure DAC mode and have the speaker blasting full volume.

Well now I have used it for half a day, all my worries are gone! What a great piece of kit!

As I was worried about the line out modus accidentally switching to full power, I just threw the remote back into the box. Not a problem at all for me at least. All menu items are accessible without it. The remote would be the only way to accidentally mess it up.
For v2 remote can't change to pure DAC anymore so don't worry about using it. :)
Have you hooked it to your power amp? Does it have the pop sound?

sjeesjie

Have you hooked it to your power amp? Does it have the pop sound?
Yes I hooked it up and unfortunately the blast/pop is there when you power it off. Also, when it's powered off, there's a constand humm noise. That's really really unfortunate because otherwise it's a very good sounding dac! I tested with bluetooth, that already sounded great, detailed and crisp. But after that I hooked it up with my raspi running Volumio and that was a real revelation. Great soundstage and all. Love it! I hope there can be done something about the pop and humm, but I guess it's a hardware problem?

ZenTraveler

Yes I hooked it up and unfortunately the blast/pop is there when you power it off. Also, when it's powered off, there's a constand humm noise
I don't have the humm noise. Maybe is grounding issue.
I read the pop sound is very common for DAC and powered amp/speaker. The suggestion is make it a habit to turn off the closest to speaker first, in this case the amp, then only DAC . When turning the system on, things should go opposite. Turn on the DAC first, and then only turn on the amp.

sjeesjie

Weird, is it possible to have grounding issues with components that don't use grounding? :) (The DX3 has a wall wart after all)

The DAC has auto-power off. That's configured as default. If you connect it to a power amp, you should make sure that's turned off then!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My plan is to use both the auto-power off function on the DX3 Pro, and the ISS function on a pair of Genelecs. Should be interesting to see if I get some pops from that combo.

alekksander

My plan is to use both the auto-power off function on the DX3 Pro, and the ISS function on a pair of Genelecs. Should be interesting to see if I get some pops from that combo.
i'm aiming for the same setup. was thinking that if dac gets auto off after 15minutes and it pops, then another 45 is needed for genelecs iss ≈ 60minutes to have both devices in sleep. quite a long time. ⅓ of that sum could be more practical, but, well…

Last edited:

sjeesjie

Does anyone use it with a topping P50?

I noticed that the case of the DX3 is leaking current when I connect a USB. So maybe the P50 helps because of proper grounding?

EarlZ

Today I disconnected my Mackie BigKnob passive since I am getting a loud static noise when adjusting the volume and I believe this is a known issue due to the low quality potentiometer they are using and I am now using RCA to RCA to send audio to my speaker and I get a very loud pop when I turn off the DX3 Pro, I have also changed it into pre-amp mode so I can continue to do volume control, So either its the big knob passive suppressing that pop or the pop happens only on pre-amp mode ?

ZenTraveler

Today I disconnected my Mackie BigKnob passive since I am getting a loud static noise when adjusting the volume and I believe this is a known issue due to the low quality potentiometer they are using and I am now using RCA to RCA to send audio to my speaker and I get a very loud pop when I turn off the DX3 Pro, I have also changed it into pre-amp mode so I can continue to do volume control, So either its the big knob passive suppressing that pop or the pop happens only on pre-amp mode ?
Try change to direct mode if it can eliminate the pop sound.
I also have the pop sound and using pre amp mode. Never tried direct mode.

Top Bottom