• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

TiborG

I'm reading your posts carefully and can't figure what's your point here.
It is simple. DX3 Pro V1 seamlessly plays all PCM frequencies from 44.1 to 192 kHz via optical TOSLINK. Nothing more, nothing less. If the source (PC card, DAP, TV SPDIF output - anything) can handle these frequencies.

TLDRonin

Forgive my lack of knowledge on dac/amps and their various connections, I tried finding the answer myself but have no idea how to find it

I ordered a tube pre amp that I assumed I could use with my DX3Pro but was told that it wouldn't work. From what I understand, the chain would be Computer(source)-> DAC -> Tube Pre Amp -> Amp -> headphones with the issue being the DAC-> pre amp since the DX3 pro doesn't have an RCA in. Could I use something like an RCA to Coax / Optical adapter to fix this or is it impossible to add this pre amp to the DX3Pro?

Veri

Master Contributor
Forgive my lack of knowledge on dac/amps and their various connections, I tried finding the answer myself but have no idea how to find it

I ordered a tube pre amp that I assumed I could use with my DX3Pro but was told that it wouldn't work. From what I understand, the chain would be Computer(source)-> DAC -> Tube Pre Amp -> Amp -> headphones with the issue being the DAC-> pre amp since the DX3 pro doesn't have an RCA in. Could I use something like an RCA to Coax / Optical adapter to fix this or is it impossible to add this pre amp to the DX3Pro?
Impossible DX3 does not allow any analog input "back in". In any case a tube pre (like a cheap Chinese one) is not a good addition, it will not add anything besides saturation and distortion :/ not a fan and would not recommend, shame on those youtubers recommending just this.

Adding a pre just to add a pre, is really not an "audiophile" high-fidelity thing to do but rather an "audiophool" thing, sorry to say..

Kykr1k

I own beyerdynamic dt770 80omh. Are there some better dac\amp combo than DX3pro and would dx3pro good like dac with external amp like Heresy or atom?

Tks

Major Contributor
Your first assumption doesn't make sense, he never stated anything related with frequency limits. He was confused about relay clicks while switching sample rates.

...and DX3 Pro can't decode 88 and 176KHz files on optical output.

Check your source device. I got fooled into thinking my RME DAC couldn't do it either until I saw my motherboard doesn't support 176kHz output through optical.

pacman

Check your source device. I got fooled into thinking my RME DAC couldn't do it either until I saw my motherboard doesn't support 176kHz output through optical.
That's the case, my motherboard is an ancient P67 with Realtek ALC889.

hrbngr

I just booted up my Win10 PC this afternoon and I now have no sound at all from my DX3 pro. I was initially running w/native win10 driver, but i went ahead and installed 4.82 and swapped USB cables. Display is lit, USB light is solid, not blinking, but no audio from headphones. Output device in control panel now says DX3pro vs USB(originally). Bought this last fall and had only used sparingly up to this point, also upgraded AC adapter w/one of the recommendations way earlier in this thread.

Most of the trouble had seemed to be channel missing, hiss, but I don't remember anything about no sound at all. Appreciate any tips/advice.

*edit* going to buy a separate amp to try in DAC mode as well as going back to original AC adapter and a different usb cable.

Last edited:

bloodpearl

Am using the Dx3 pro in dac only mode;

Topping DX3 pro dac vs d90 worth the upgrade? Currently using the SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 - Amp
thx

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Topping DX3 pro dac vs d90 worth the upgrade? Currently using the SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 - Amp
thx

Unless you have a need of the XLR outputs (and there are far cheaper DACs that can give you that) , from a sound perspective there should not be an audible difference/ improvement. But twice the input voltage so would be louder for any given point on the Sp200 volume knob than the DX3. But level matched, decent DACs shouldnt give sonic improvements one to another.

General response here to this question would be change DACs for function/ cosmetic reason, not for "sound".

Veri

Master Contributor

thx
Would not use D90 with SP200, everything will be way too loud way too quickly.

gorman

This would be great in order for me to abandon the stacked configuration dac+amp... but the 3.5 headphone output it's a big no for me. I don't want to deal with an adapter. Surprising choice for a "pro" product, don't you think=

Veri

Master Contributor
This would be great in order for me to abandon the stacked configuration dac+amp... but the 3.5 headphone output it's a big no for me. I don't want to deal with an adapter. Surprising choice for a "pro" product, don't you think=
While I get where you're coming from, using a cable-like adapter rather than those bulky awful plugs, it's really not too bothersome.

gorman

While I get where you're coming from, using a cable-like adapter rather than those bulky awful plugs, it's really not too bothersome.
Uhmmm yeah, but already HD800 has got a huge plug. Is there any other good DAC+Amp combo that has both 6.3mm plug and direct AC connection (like DX7 Pro)?
Edit: I know these seem like petty requirements... on the other hand as good products are by now firmly in the realm of inaudibility for defects (plus my being 50 not helping my hearing acumen), it's little comforts that I seek.

Veri

Master Contributor
Uhmmm yeah, but already HD800 has got a huge plug. Is there any other good DAC+Amp combo that has both 6.3mm plug and direct AC connection (like DX7 Pro)?
Edit: I know these seem like petty requirements... on the other hand as good products are by now firmly in the realm of inaudibility for defects (plus my being 50 not helping my hearing acumen), it's little comforts that I seek.
Sabaj D5?

alekksander

Hi guys, long time lurker here!

I recently bought an SMSL SU-8 but I'm thinking about returning it in favour of a Topping DX3 Pro, since it's more convenient than adding a JDS Labs Atom to my desk for my headphones (saves space and money).

I have some doubts though: I don't use headphones too often, is it worth it to sacrifice the balanced connection to my JBL 305P MkII?

Also, since the V2 it's the one sold on Amazon now, would its 10 ohms impedance affect negatively my listening experience with my Sony MDR-7506s (63 ohms) and possibly some IEMs?

So in the end my question is: considering that I don't want to think too much about upgrading in the (near) future, should I invest more money (and space) and buy an Atom or should I be ok with just the DX3 Pro? What's your advice?

hi. did You end up buying dx3 pro v2? i'm having „same” (V6) pair of headphones + active monitors as well and i wonder how satisfied are You.

mnemonix

Well, I just bought one and am frankly rather annoyed to discover that the headphone amp I bought is not the headphone amp reviewed here. Nowhere does the review note that the headphone op amp had been changed and the output impedance raised from 1 to 10 ohms giving it a performance more comparable with a motherboard headphone socket than a standalone audiophile product. Given my Audio Techica headphones have an impedance of 48 ohms I'm now doubting the suitability of this amp to drive them correctly.

Maybe make it clear in the review or just retire it altogther since it's no longer relevant to the product Topping is selling as a DX3 pro?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It's noted as 'EDIT 3' in the review.

I'm also a bit annoyed, but at Topping, not this review. Mostly I'm annoyed because I can't find a suitable alternative to this product :(

EDIT: Please disregard this post. I am no longer annoyed :cool:

Last edited:

mnemonix

I stand corrected, but saying "...different output IC and an inline resistor. How much these impact measurements, I don't know" is far from a clear warning and even comes across as a little disingenuous now that I read it. How about instead: "Since Topping increased the output impedance of the DX3 by a factor of 10 - I CAN NO LONGER RECOMMEND IT. No measurement is even needed.

I'm with you on the dificulty of finding a suitable alternative though.

Top Bottom