• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

dwa

Hey to all , I’m looking for almost new desktop dac/amp
Now i found this and see some people problems and scared for buy !!
What is problems?
i need someone help , what is V2 ,1905xxxx or 1904xxxx or.... ???!!! What is a good version ?
Can i buy it ? or another brand is better than this at same price (k5 pro)
What headphones do you have?

jani80k

Hey to all , I’m looking for almost new desktop dac/amp
Now i found this and see some people problems and scared for buy !!
What is problems?
i need someone help , what is V2 ,1905xxxx or 1904xxxx or.... ???!!! What is a good version ?
Can i buy it ? or another brand is better than this at same price (k5 pro)
V1 had some issues which were fixed with V2. But V2 has a worse headphone output. So really... if you just want to use it for headphone, get a V1. If you want to use it for speakers or as a DAC with an external AMP, get a V2.
If you want my honest opinion: don't get either (unless you are getting a cheap price for a used device) and spend some extra money on a SMSL M500 (It has even better test results than DX3 Pro when the hype started).

V1 had some issues which were fixed with V2. But V2 has a worse headphone output. So really... if you just want to use it for headphone, get a V1. If you want to use it for speakers or as a DAC with an external AMP, get a V2.
If you want my honest opinion: don't get either (unless you are getting a cheap price for a used device) and spend some extra money on a SMSL M500 (It has even better test results than DX3 Pro when the hype started).
Woow!!! What a bad amp ! thanks dude for info , what is your opinion about fiio k5 pro ? Or anything desktop dac amp under 200

Last edited:

dwa

You realize that DAC in K5 Pro is on similar level to middle-class motherboard?

dwa

Another thing. I don't understand why people has so bad opinions on V2. As far as I know only output impedance is worse (around 10ohms). So if you really have low impedance headphones it may not be for you. On the other hand if you plan to buy some more expensive headphones M500 makes sense. Buying $400 dac/Amp just for one $200 headphones is an overkill imo.

Another thing. I don't understand why people has so bad opinions on V2. As far as I know only output impedance is worse (around 10ohms). So if you really have low impedance headphones it may not be for you. On the other hand if you plan to buy some more expensive headphones M500 makes sense. Buying $400 dac/Amp just for one $200 headphones is an overkill imo.
fist thank you for your time !
i was buy 599 3years a go for 250$ i know have low impedance headphone but i wanna some day upgrade it and 0 ohm output is very bad for me !
now im looking m500 for now to see what happen !!!
why peoples are bad with k5 pro this is very nice amp , i dont know why people not like it ??

jani80k

A good dac/amp is equally important as good headphones. I was running my Sennheiser 58x (150 USD) with my SMSL M500 (400USD) and it made total sense. It sounded better than on the DX3 Pro (220 USD). There is no rule that says your dac/amp cannot cost more than your headphones. It's about getting good signal quality to your headphones. Even my TIN T2 (50USD) improved on the SMSL M500 vs the DX3 Pro.
If you don't use the white in ears that came with an iphone 6 you will hear a difference if you use a good dac/amp even on much cheaper headphones.
People here don't "have a problem" with the DX3 Pro. It's just a fact that the V2 has a badly implemented headphone output. If it would have been like this on the V1 it would have never been recommended by Amir, let alone become his daily driver for use with his IEMs.

dwa

As I can agree that M500 is clearly better device than DX3 Pro, I cannot agree with some other claims. Don't not why M500 sounded better for you. It has similar power, maybe little less than DX3 pro with 150ohm load. Output impedance of 10ohm is to low to make a difference with HD58x. Maybe it's just placebo maybe your DX3 was broken - who knows. Low output impedance is much more important with portable devices in my opinion...

About Amir's recommendation - DX7s got recommendation (10ohm OI), DX7pro got recommendation (expensive, 6.2ohm OI). DX3 Pro V2 as affordable dac/Amp combo (around $160 on Drop) would probably get it also...

Amir has any IEMs who would have guessed? ;-)

Good thing is you like you M500, that's most important and that what counts.

guy's im looking for ifi nano black lable ,have very good feedback from owner and sites reviews . what is your opinion ??????

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As I can agree that M500 is clearly better device than DX3 Pro, I cannot agree with some other claims. Don't not why M500 sounded better for you. It has similar power, maybe little less than DX3 pro with 150ohm load. Output impedance of 10ohm is to low to make a difference with HD58x. Maybe it's just placebo maybe your DX3 was broken - who knows. Low output impedance is much more important with portable devices in my opinion...

About Amir's recommendation - DX7s got recommendation (10ohm OI), DX7pro got recommendation (expensive, 6.2ohm OI). DX3 Pro V2 as affordable dac/Amp combo (around $160 on Drop) would probably get it also...

Amir has any IEMs who would have guessed? ;-)

Good thing is you like you M500, that's most important and that what counts.

I have the Dx3 pro and the M500, and I can't hear any difference between them...fwiw.

Top Bottom