• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
You are very lucky. There are lots of reports that DX3 Pro is a faulty device that can stop working after a few months of use
I think he meant software/driver/functionality. Not the issue with some units shorting (which V2 should fix).

letsgoo

I think he meant software/driver/functionality. Not the issue with some units shorting (which V2 should fix).
Hm... so the seller(Shenzhen Audio) says, V2 has the same clicking problem 'cause it is a constuction thing,
but Topping support says that problem is not anymore on V2. Whom should I believe?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hm... so the seller(Shenzhen Audio) says, V2 has the same clicking problem 'cause it is a constuction thing,
but Topping support says that problem is not anymore on V2. Whom should I believe?
What clicking? The relay clicking was fixed very early on. However, sample rate change clicking might still occur. Depending on source, some users also report clicking on track change etc when using optical input, but this might be due to the source signal.

However, @Toku has had many Topping devices and says DX3 is the best in regards to pops/clicking. I would trust his experience and not worry.

letsgoo

What clicking? The relay clicking was fixed very early on. However, sample rate change clicking might still occur. Depending on source, some users also report clicking on track change etc when using optical input, but this might be due to the source signal.

However, @Toku has had many Topping devices and says DX3 is the best in regards to pops/clicking. I would trust his experience and not worry.

I mean that track change etc. thing. I actually own a dx7s now on the other pc and connected it to a external BT-Receiver. This does not click when I change my track etc. What I didn't test opt in of a pc.
Is there any workaround for pc-opt-dx3pro clicking thing? That is really weird.

Toku

Major Contributor
I mean that track change etc. thing. I actually own a dx7s now on the other pc and connected it to a external BT-Receiver. This does not click when I change my track etc. What I didn't test opt in of a pc.
Is there any workaround for pc-opt-dx3pro clicking thing? That is really weird.
There is certainly a lot of Relay operating sound when using OPT & COAX connections. However, this is a design method that Tooping has done to obtain stable and reliable operation. I don't think the operation sound of this relay is abnormal.
Technically, the switch circuit can be digitized. In Ver.2, it was converted into an electronic switch due to complaints from everyone. But what about sound quality?
I am expecting the measurement of Ver.2 by amirm to see how the electrical characteristics have changed.
I'm sorry, it's difficult for me to express in English.

Last edited:

uniscope

V2 owner here. Usually using it via USB to connect to an iMac.
Got two major problems:
1. The device keeps turning on even though I have turned it off. I turned off Bluetooth connection on my iPhone, and iMac is in sleep mode, but DX3Pro still 'wakes up' after a brief sleep (several minutes) for no reason. It wakes up sometimes with BT and sometimes with USB mode (this time it was USB). Am I doing something wrong?? I've got a BT keyboard (HHKB) that miiiiight be affecting something but I have no strong reason to believe so. Other than that I don't use BT for anything. They sent me a new device but the problem still persists. Maybe I should turn the auto-power-on/off feature off, but I would like it to be automatic...
2. I cannot change the volume linearly (well, technically logarithmically) in BT mode from PC nor from mobiles. I can change it, but the volume changes definitely not what I expect it to behave.
Here is a reference video:
how i expect volume to change from 0 to 1: 0 (mute), 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, ..., 0.9, 1
how it behaves: 0, 0.1, 1, 1, 1, 1, .... ,1, 1
This did not happen with the first product (I did not check but I think it was probably V2 because it lacked pure DAC mode).

Toku

Major Contributor
V2 owner here. Usually using it via USB to connect to an iMac.
Got two major problems:
1. The device keeps turning on even though I have turned it off. I turned off Bluetooth connection on my iPhone, and iMac is in sleep mode, but DX3Pro still 'wakes up' after a brief sleep (several minutes) for no reason. It wakes up sometimes with BT and sometimes with USB mode (this time it was USB). Am I doing something wrong?? I've got a BT keyboard (HHKB) that miiiiight be affecting something but I have no strong reason to believe so. Other than that I don't use BT for anything. They sent me a new device but the problem still persists. Maybe I should turn the auto-power-on/off feature off, but I would like it to be automatic...
2. I cannot change the volume linearly (well, technically logarithmically) in BT mode from PC nor from mobiles. I can change it, but the volume changes definitely not what I expect it to behave.
Here is a reference video:
how i expect volume to change from 0 to 1: 0 (mute), 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, ..., 0.9, 1
how it behaves: 0, 0.1, 1, 1, 1, 1, .... ,1, 1
This did not happen with the first product (I did not check but I think it was probably V2 because it lacked pure DAC mode).
DX3Pro cannot turn BT off in the settings.
So I think it will wake in response to radio waves from BT devices around DX3Pro.
I suggest removing the DX3Pro antenna and observing how the state changes.

Gray

You can turn bluetooth off in the v2 version, just check the manual ;)

I had this once, my v2 turned on and started playing music, not my music... turned out my neighbors made connection with it. (5m and 2 external walls)
But now I turned bluetooth off, everything seems normal again. :)

Toku

Major Contributor
You can turn bluetooth off in the v2 version, just check the manual ;)

I had this once, my v2 turned on and started playing music, not my music... turned out my neighbors made connection with it. (5m and 2 external walls)
But now I turned bluetooth off, everything seems normal again. :)
I think there was a setting that could turn BT on and off in my memory.
Unfortunately, there is no description to turn BT off in the DX3Pro manual that can be downloaded from HP now. Maybe this is a V1 manual.
It may be listed in the manual that comes with the product.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found a past post! #4,066
Please refer to this.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-204

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I emailed Topping that there was no manual for DX3Pro LDAC version on HP's SUPPORT, it was immediately updated.

http://www.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=86.html

Last edited:

uniscope

Yes, I'm aware of the feature and the problem probably goes away if I turned it off, but it still bugs me. I would like to use BT, I would like it to be auto-power-on/off, and I would like to change volume linearlly, because these are what I expected for this device when I purchased. I do like this device but I have to say it's poorly programmed and cannot recommend to anyone. Don't buy this (at least for now).

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes, I'm aware of the feature and the problem probably goes away if I turned it off, but it still bugs me. I would like to use BT, I would like it to be auto-power-on/off, and I would like to change volume linearlly, because these are what I expected for this device when I purchased. I do like this device but I have to say it's poorly programmed and cannot recommend to anyone. Don't buy this (at least for now).
There is no problem in the product just because the specifications of DX3Pro do not suit your taste.
I have purchased and evaluated many Topping and SMSL products so far. Among them, DX3Pro is one of the most stable devices, and I think it is a product that can be recommended to others with peace of mind.

uniscope

There is no problem in the product just because the specifications of DX3Pro do not suit your taste.
I have purchased and evaluated many Topping and SMSL products so far. Among them, DX3Pro is one of the most stable devices, and I think it is a product that can be recommended to others with peace of mind.
Could you watch the 20 sec video I uploaded above? If you call this behavior 'specifications', I have nothing extra to say. This 'feature' alone is enough for not recommending to anyone. I love the appearance. I love the sound. I (would have) love(d) the features. For me, this is just a poorly made cheap broken cute product that cannot deliver all the things they advertised. Returning this.

patient_ot

@uniscope I have not had any of the problems you are experiencing. I'm guessing something is wacky with your Mac or BT keyboard.

uniscope

Both of the problems (1 and 2) reproduce with iPhone XS, iPhone 8, and two different kind of android phones. Besides, problem 2 did not happen with the first product I received, which clearly shows that, at least for the latter problem, it's the receiver's defect.

I've had a topping dx3 pro v2 for a few weeks now. Subjectively I note a qualitative difference if I use the volume of the Topping or if I put the Topping in dac mode and use the volume from the smartphone in hardware volume mode. Changing the volume from the smartphone the sound from my speakers is better yet both should be managed by the dac. How is it possible? Maybe it's only my ears...

Toku

Major Contributor
Both of the problems (1 and 2) reproduce with iPhone XS, iPhone 8, and two different kind of android phones. Besides, problem 2 did not happen with the first product I received, which clearly shows that, at least for the latter problem, it's the receiver's defect.
The first problem is probably due to the USB operation mode of your PC and the transmission of radio waves from BT devices in the vicinity of DX3Pro. I think that BT radio waves are not completely turned off even if the BT connection is turned off.
The first thing you should do is turn off the DX3Pro's BT setting and see how the symptoms change.

Volume control of problem 2 is normal operation. Depending on the connection mode of your music player and DX3Pro, this will be the behavior. (Operation mode that does not allow volume adjustment)
Maybe you are misunderstanding about how DX3Pro works.
Only the front panel knob and remote control can adjust the volume of DX3Pro.
Adjusting the volume from a PC is just controlling the volume of the signal sent from the PC to the DX3Pro, not directly controlling the DX3Pro. The audio player you are using adjusts the volume.

Your text does not contain detailed usage information. So I am answering by imagining the usage environment.

uniscope

Problem 1: Could you elaborate what you mean by 'USB operation mode'? I don't see any settings regarding USB connection. I agree with your view that the major possible cause may be DX3Pro catching unwanted BT signal. Turning off DX3Pro's BT naturally 'fixes', or rather, 'kills' the problem. Now I cannot use BT (naturally). That does not count as a fix.
Problem 2: Could you please read what I wrote once again?
problem 2 did not happen with the first product I received
This did not happen in the first device I received. I could change the volume with my mobile. I returned the first device because of the Problem 1, not because of the problem 2. I received a new device. And the new device got the problem 2. I contacted the seller and the seller contacted the manufacturer. They confirmed that this behavior is not what they intended. So, my suggestion is that, if your device also behaves like this, you might want to consider it defect too. Your choice though. If you are happy with the issue there wouldn't be a problem... I personally would like to change volume with my mobile.

captainsmart

I’ve been using the DX3 Pro V2 for a few months now, USB to Mac but I haven’t experienced any of your issues.

maybe try to reset your DX3 also reset NVRAM on Mac?

Squidgy

Hello I am new to this forum. Maybe this question has already been answered, if so my apologies.

I am thinking of buying either the SMSL SU-8 or the Topping DX3 Pro for use as a preamp- I have a Marantz 1070 integrated amp which has pre-out and main-in jumpers in the back allowing me to bypass the Marantz preamp. My source will be principally high-res audio files on an iPhone running Vox connected to the USB in via the CCK. My question pertains to default volume setting and whether the units recall the last volume setting when powered on. If volume always resets to max (e.g. 0.0 dB) than there is the concern that the music will come blasting on unless I manually lower volume (with remote) before starting a track, which would be sort of a nuisance. I am also concerned that at 0.0 dB the DAC may overload the Marantz power amp inputs. Can anyone shed light on this issue? Thanks!

Top Bottom