• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Leito360

Are you talking about the Topping DX3 Pro LDAC Version 2 DAC/Amp with Bluetooth? It should have the same headphone out impedance of 1 ohm measured in the original post of this thread. So it would be fine with 32 Ohm phones.

Hello. Yes, that's the one i'm talking about, V2=LDAC version. But I can assure you that the put impedance is <10 Ohm, where did you get that the output impedance is 1 Ohm?
Here's the link of an image with the specs, posted in the DX3 Pro page of Aoshida store.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H213c4dc1449c46728b59a82d49333ea07.jpg

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello friends, I bought the Topping DX3 PRO LDAC. I have a question to ask. What do the various modes of the PCM filter set mean? What are the tone characteristics?View attachment 39881

The terms AKM uses are more confusing than helpful.

F-1 is the most traditional filter. Linear phase, no frequency response dip in the audible range.

F-2 is a linear phase filter, but allows some very modest high-frequency rolloff to reduce pre-ringing. Whether either of these is audible is a matter of debate; if neither is audible than it should be most similar to F-1.

F-3 is a minimum phase filter with no frequency response dip in the audible range. There is considerable phase shift at higher frequencies, which may affect imaging stability on speakers. There seems to be an anecdotal psychoacoustic effect where some people perceive minimum phase filters as slightly more rich or bassy, but there is little published research on this that I'm aware of.

F-4 is a minimum phase filter with a frequency response dip in the audible range. This is likely to reduce imaging solidity on speakers but might help some people if they feel music is too harsh.

F-5 is essentially no digital filter, and has a significant frequency response dip in the audible range. Of all the filters, this should be the most audible, but it's hard to argue that this is neutral sounding in a scientific sense.

F-6 is a goldilocks-style intermediate-phase filter, of the type Archimago writes about. It has only 8 degrees of phase shift at 18kHz, and also has no frequency response dip in the audible range. If you think you might be sensitive to pre-ringing (could be placebo) but don't want to sacrifice imaging on speakers, this is a good choice.

Ratatoskr

Hello. Yes, that's the one i'm talking about, V2=LDAC version. But I can assure you that the put impedance is <10 Ohm, where did you get that the output impedance is 1 Ohm?
Here's the link of an image with the specs, posted in the DX3 Pro page of Aoshida store.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H213c4dc1449c46728b59a82d49333ea07.jpg

Look at the first post in this thread. The headphone out impedance of the DX3 Pro was measured to be 1.0 Ohm. The DX3 Pro v2 should be the same. Buy a DX3 Pro instead of the v2 if you on the fence, or buy the v2 from Amazon and return it if you don't like it.

Leito360

Look at the first post in this thread. The headphone out impedance of the DX3 Pro was measured to be 1.0 Ohm. The DX3 Pro v2 should be the same. Buy a DX3 Pro instead of the v2 if you on the fence, or buy the v2 from Amazon and return it if you don't like it.
I read the review, but what i'm saying is that there have been several changes in the components of the DX3 Pro during its lifetime, so no one knows if the values are the same, especially on the V2.
Look: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/post-234066

Veri

Master Contributor
No the V2 is confirmed to have higher impedance output. Amir has not remeasured tho so hard to know for sure how high it is now.

gazzawazza

sorry mate you're wrong about the V2

This has been flagged a few times now.

The headphone output impedance on v2 is <10 ohms.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...ac-xmos-xu208-32bit-768khz-black-p-14048.html

http://www.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=43.html

This is why people are keen for Amir to test V2.

You're correct regarding v1 though

regards,

gary

Tucson

@Leito360: That is what I did. I purchased the DX3 Pro V2 from Amazon. I then returned it for all of my money back.

The DX3 Pro did not have enough power for my headphones. Using the gain increase helped, but the performance was still unsatisfactory. IMHO, if you need the gain for your headphones to function, return the unit. Otherwise, I would be very interested in your impressions of V2. It may work out for you. However, If you are looking for stellar performance, get the DX7 Pro.

FWIW

Last edited:

Leito360

@Leito360: That is what I did. I purchased the DX3 Pro V2 from Amazon. I then returned it for all of my money back.

The DX3 Pro did not have enough power for my headphones. Using the gain increase helped, but the performance was still unsatisfactory. IMHO, if you need the gain for your headphones to function, return the unit. Otherwise, I would be very interested in your impressions of V2. It may work out for you. However, If you are looking for stellar performance, get the DX7 Pro.

FWIW

Thanks for your answer. I decided to not buy the DX3 Pro, right now I'm looking for experiences with the MX3 (because its functionality and low output impedance), since i heard thatthe unit "lasts for a couple of months" and I want to know if that's true... if it's, it seems that i will do one of the following:
A) Buy a Schiit stack or a Mayflower ARC (Depends on which one sounds better, the Schiit can handle more powerful headphones, though).
B) Don't buy anything this year.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

letsgoo

Hey, I just recognized it clicks too often when I connect via Optical In.
On using USB-Mode, it was 'normal' but when I use it with my PC via Optical in, the relay clicks for every single pause of video/music and changing music. Is it normal?
Also playing music/YouTube on Android phone via Bluetooth has the same problem.

And is this clicking problem may be fixed on the V2?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
On using USB-Mode, it was 'normal' but when I use it with my PC via Optical in, the relay clicks for every single pause of video/music and changing music. Is it normal?

I think it's depending on the optical source. Mine has no issue regarding this also original v1. Maybe your source turns off the output when no music playing or sends different outputs and switch back to the sample rate of the music when you play the music. It clicks when you change sample rate.

letsgoo

I think it's depending on the optical source. Mine has no issue regarding this also original v1. Maybe your source turns off the output when no music playing or sends different outputs and switch back to the sample rate of the music when you play the music. It clicks when you change sample rate.

The Sample Rate doesn't change.
I connected it with a windows 10 pc and "fixed" the PCM value to 44.1.
Though on every sound cut, it clicks and clicks again. Android via Bluetooth also the same but there is at least 3 sec time so if you change music and the music starts in 3s, there is no clicking but a longer pause, yes.

Toku

Major Contributor

The relay click is normal.
My DX3Pro is V1, but with OPT & COAX connection it works like you.

letsgoo

The relay click is normal.
My DX3Pro is V1, but with OPT & COAX connection it works like you.
Thanks for the confirmation.
I now would like to know if it worths to buy v2 or not... :) anyone compared them?

Toku

Major Contributor
I have purchased Toppin D10, DX3Pro, D50, D50s, DX7s and SMSL SU-8, M500 so far, but DX3Pro is the most stable.

pcdinh

I have purchased Toppin D10, DX3Pro, D50, D50s, DX7s and SMSL SU-8, M500 so far, but DX3Pro is the most stable.

You are very lucky. There are lots of reports that DX3 Pro is a faulty device that can stop working after a few months of use

Top Bottom