• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

THW

Forum Donor
Testing dsd playback on the dx3 pro. Headphone is fidelio x2hr, tracks are “The Best of Satana”, playback software is foobar2000. Not very impressed. Music sounds very closed to the ear, clarity is nothing revelatory. Nothing compared to the binaural stuff from Dr Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Test. I don’t understand when people say a headphone has a wide soundstage, what kind of audio file do they listen to? If it is just simple 2-channel non-binaural file, even in high quality dsd, I feel the soundstage is very narrow. Only the binaural tracks can give me that sense of spaciousness.

yeah tbh i'm also of the opinion that soundstage perception has more to do with the recording than with the headphones themselves.

i might get flak for this but i personally wasn't that impressed with the HD 800's "soundstage". still thought my HD 600 is a much better buy.

as for DAC differences, they are mostly small which i agree. still, digital volume control, good amount of clean power, BT input, easy to carry around... still makes it worth buying for me. also, having that integrated DAC that actually performs quite well also means you don't have to worry about the DAC in any computer you plug it into.

Veri

Master Contributor
Testing dsd playback on the dx3 pro. Headphone is fidelio x2hr, tracks are “The Best of Satana”, playback software is foobar2000. Not very impressed. Music sounds very closed to the ear, clarity is nothing revelatory. Nothing compared to the binaural stuff from Dr Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Test. I don’t understand when people say a headphone has a wide soundstage, what kind of audio file do they listen to? If it is just simple 2-channel non-binaural file, even in high quality dsd, I feel the soundstage is very narrow. Only the binaural tracks can give me that sense of spaciousness.
DSD is 'Meh' :)

thomasjast

Soundstage perception is a measure of the headphone itself, not the recording and not the playback equipment. It’s how the pinna part of the ear interacts with the sound itself.

Well explained on this page: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/soundstage

deadchip12

So could someone tell me what changes I should made in the Topping control panel below
2421553B-C7CF-4939-B55E-743464006E90.png

Jimmy

Fidelio X2 or X2HR, they are mostly the same, are dark sounding headphones, and soundstage is good but not great. I enjoy them for what they are, but if you want better clarity and soundstage (at the expense of other qualities, there's no perfect headphone), you may be better off with AKG K7?? series or Sennheiser HD800.

The difference between electronics is there, but it's many times exagerated, good solid state DACs and headphone amps (with enough power) sound very much alike.

thomasjast

Been using DX3 for days now... it still works!

It's really grown on me, especially since you can use Windows volume control and just jack it up to 0.0dB on the knob to prevent the line-out OMG FULL VOLUME from being a thing since it's always maxed out already. It's basically set it and forget it, especially since it goes into standby when the computer goes off and wakes just as well.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Been using DX3 for days now... it still works!

It's really grown on me, especially since you can use Windows volume control and just jack it up to 0.0dB on the knob to prevent the line-out OMG FULL VOLUME from being a thing since it's always maxed out already. It's basically set it and forget it, especially since it goes into standby when the computer goes off and wakes just as well.
windows volume control is much less reliable imo. It can automatically go maximum sometimes. so be careful.

thomasjast

windows volume control is much less reliable imo. It can automatically go maximum sometimes. so be careful.

I use dedicated volume +/-/mute buttons on my keyboard and I've never seen this behaviour... and I use it constantly. There's a 500ms delay before it starts moving when you hold it down anyway, and my listening is usually in the 20-35 range for both speakers and headphones. Without the buttons, mouse or finger driven, yes... I've seen some scary stuff in Windows.

miiaow

Here are the major differences I see between the 1808 (original?) version and the 1905 version:

Code:
PCB version            1808_24DX3_V3.2(LYF)              190525_DX3Pro_V4.1(LYF)
Output impedance       0.08 Ohms                         <10 Ohms
Headphone out          2x1000mW @32 Ohms                 2x700mW @32 Ohms
Headphone out          2x125mW @300 Ohms                 2x125mW @300 Ohms
Headphone Amp          OPA2140                           TPA6120A2
DAC output impedance   ??                                100 Ohms

I've highlighted some obvious visual differences between the two boards:

differences.jpg

There are definitely more subtle differences that I can’t see.

The new version should possibly be reviewed as well, since that is the version people will get if they order it today (I’ve asked two different sellers on Aliexpress and they both say that they sell only the latest version, i.e. the 1905 version).

Sources:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956563439.html
http://www.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=39.html

Noob2313

Here are the major differences I see between the 1808 (original?) version and the 1905 version... I've highlighted some obvious visual differences between the two boards:

Wow, that looks like a lot of changes! Maybe this wasn't just a minor fix? More like a complete revision?

I guess that's a good thing??? It means that Topping is at least trying?

I received my upgraded (1905xxx) unit a few days ago. So far it's still working and sounding good, which is a lot better than my two original units, which both died within hours. But, there were some overheating problems out of the box. I'll post a more detailed report in a couple of days...

P.S. Jion, thanks for compiling that comparision. Including source links! :)

Last edited:

sajunky

Here are the major differences I see between the 1808 (original?) version and the 1905 version:

Code:
PCB version            1808_24DX3_V3.2(LYF)              190525_DX3Pro_V4.1(LYF)

View attachment 30779

From what is clear, there are missing two OMRON relays on the top (one next to RCA plugs and the other was a part of OPA2140 output protection). The last one had been replaced with the two polyswitch current limiting devices. They are blasting fast, but they can generate lot of distortion when start failing and their on-state resistance is not well defined. Not sure it was a good idea to put these things in the audio path.

Power supply for OPA2140 was made by a nice array of linear regulators (two per channel - total four), now it is made much simplified, maybe TPA6120 has its own regulators with a similar precision, I don't know.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My 1904 device still works fine, barely warm, no issues for almost 3 months at all.

Same for me. I'm guessing I have among the last of the 1904's, and so far so good.

auronthas

Code:

View attachment 30779

The new version should possibly be reviewed as well, since that is the version people will get if they order it today (I’ve asked two different sellers on Aliexpress and they both say that they sell only the latest version, i.e. the 1905 version).

Sources:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956563439.html
http://www.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=39.html
Thanks for the comparison. I opened mine yesterday, 1903xxx version, it is exactly the same as left photo. So far it works fine since June.

lator

Marketing department earning their living "revised and improved V2, benefiting in particular from new practical features and ensuring even better audio performance."

Marketing department earning their living "revised and improved V2, benefiting in particular from new practical features and ensuring even better audio performance."

I would say its worse now? Happy with my older version, still no issues and its been many weeks now. Wonder why they couldn't have just improved the quality control on the unit instead of changing the internals.

Top Bottom