• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think it makes a little bit more sense when you have the power supply on the bottom and aligning the front also with two other devices running from the power supply.

Lt_George

It doesn't look silly in the context of Topping DAC + amp system. EDIT: I'm curious about this now, assuming it will make measureable differences, will this actually make any audible difference in a system?

Topping linear power supply.jpg

Last edited:

Sinquito

Isn't the switching frequency of a power supply on the order of Megahertz or at least high enough to be out of the audible frequency band? Maybe my electronics teachers were wrong, but I think that a switching power supply is more desirable most of the times. Less expensive, more compact, more efficient, ... I think that the only advantage of a linear power supply is that is more robust and easier to implement.

sonci

They just sold a lot of these units and not everybody is going to upgrade the dac every year, so wisely if someone has to buy a linear psu for their dacs why not from them.
Of course it doesn't matter in SQ department but its wise marketing..

thomasjast

I finally got my DX3 in and... it only came with the Euro power plug. Ugh! It’s infuriating.

DouglasteR

Customs still holding mine.

It seems it will be another weekend looking thru the window.

Gray

Mine is also held by customs, could take another 12 days before delivery.

thomasjast

I got cleared customs without paying duties in Canada, which is a rare and wonderful treat. Still, I ain’t pushing my luck that this thing will actually work when I get power to it.

artburda

I just received a second DX3, serial nr. 1905. Finally, they solved the full line out issue when you make a second click on the line out button. It stays always in pre-amp mode, so no more risk of going full line out by accident :)

Gray

Received mine too, customs was on vacation I guess :D also 1905 version.

Just tested it for 30min, already got 2 times it went into standby mode without doing anything or configuring anything only headphone connected with no inputs or bluetooth-device connected. (I hope it was the auto-standby function which is/was on by default, if it is, it acts pretty fast 1-2min)

Since it's playing music everything seems great, now the testing begins :)

Gray

Yes, I can confirm it works as designed, it goes into standby mode in around a minute of disconnecting my bluetooth. When the auto standby is off, the device stays on when disconnecting bluetooth.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
P
It doesn't look silly in the context of Topping DAC + amp system. EDIT: I'm curious about this now, assuming it will make measureable differences, will this actually make any audible difference in a system?

View attachment 29974
Pretty combo.I hope @amirm can test the new power supply with his DX3Pro to see if it makes any difference.

thomasjast

I just received a second DX3, serial nr. 1905. Finally, they solved the full line out issue when you make a second click on the line out button. It stays always in pre-amp mode, so no more risk of going full line out by accident :)

Where did you get it from that it's so new?

thomasjast

I got it from shenzhenaudio. It was on sale last week, $175.99 inc. free shipping.

So the Line Out behaviour is new? Can you see if there’s been a firmware change? That’s a pretty big deal if it’s different and fixes what many have complained about.

cidel fastro

Hi so according to topping service they have been released the V2 with the following upgrades:
1. Bluetooth has been added to LDAC support and it is certified by Hi-Res Audio Wireless.
2, with the headphone protection circuit
3, most of the relay are changed to electronic switch, further reducing click noise
4. Replace the headphone amplifier with the TPA6120A2.
5, Internal power supply upgraded

The SN number of V2 is begin from 1905 or higher, and V2 have both Hi-Res Audio sticker and Hi-Res Audio Wireless sticker.

Would love to see how it compares to the original unit.

thomasjast

Hmm, that’s pretty sneaky to not have it be a new SKU when the specs would clearly be different.

Yuno

Very nice to hear, now if only I could get confirmation that self standby issue was solved that would be great.

Top Bottom