• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Noted but without knowing what this sub-system is doing, it’s hard to say everything is output as PCM?
Well, when no-DSD-volume flag is set, this whole subsystem is bypassed meaning it is not needed for DSD playback. So it reasons that the other path is for PCM and DSD to PCM conversion.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, when no-DSD-volume flag is set, this whole subsystem is bypassed meaning it is not needed for DSD playback.

Noted, here you have direct DSD (1 bit SDM) conversion to analogue.

So it reasons that the other path is for PCM and DSD to PCM conversion.

This is the jump I’m unsure about.

As per my ESS Sabre “black box” example above, while DSD is no longer strictly DSD (1 bit SDM) with digital volume control with the Sabre chip, the long standing theory/guess is it is not converted to PCM either.

I shared a link to interesting old discussion on CA Forum a page back which goes into this.

I don’t think we’ll know unless someone from AKM can confirm.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19381-ess-sabre-and-dsd-volume-control/

thomasjast

While I'm waiting for my DX3 to arrive, can anyone answer this question?:

Once it's connected over USB, does/can the Windows volume control do anything? I ask because my keyboard has volume control keys that trigger the native Windows functionality and I'd love to keep using it, big clicky DX3 knob or not.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One thing is that even though the current output is very high the total output power is quite low. If it's limited by power supply, then it makes all the sense. I'll try to drive both channel and test with 33 ohm load.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
UPDATE:
Two channel driven with 8 Ohm, same result. Same distortion figure 0.001x% for both channel. I haven't tried high gain to see the full potential of this amp stage. But it's already 450mW at 8 ohm.

Now it's very likely the limitations isn't the current output of this output stage but the power supply, either the external power supply or the internal regulator. I may need some calculation.

No it doesn't make sense. The efficiency should be much worse with 8ohm load. 450mw is not far from 570mw on number. I should have been drawing more power than amir. Still I am going to try high gain with 8 ohm and 36ohm/or 32ohm real headphone.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok. Some configuration was done wrong. Retested with high gain. Highest without clip -8.5db which is essentially 0.5db more than low gain max volume. Distortion is 0.006% which is higher than at low gain which is understandable.
Max power is 550mW. 8ohm load. Rough calculation.
So it may be the power limitation of the power supply.
So what it means, it can drive lower impedance load just as good. It's neither the voltage nor the current the caps the output power but the power delivery. Making it one of the best amp for 8 ohm headphones.

Update: it's also unlikely to be the external power supply. It could be the current is the limit tho. I just ran high gain with single channel it's the same clipping level as two channel driven.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
8ohm high gain(1).png

Ignore the low frequency noise, i have to unplug half of the input in order to test two channel driven.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Okay. Finally. Update on 32ohm (4x8ohm instead od 33ohm from amir).
780mW per channel two channel driven at -1db high gain. Distortion 0.0015%

Attachments

• 32ohm high gain -1db.png
    32ohm high gain -1db.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20190711_211113_Bokeh__01.jpg
    IMG_20190711_211113_Bokeh__01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Analysis:
As calculated the maximum output current with 32ohm is about 150mW which is considerably lower than that with 8ohm. Also the maximum output doesn't change whether it's single channel driven or both channel driven.
Conclusions so far. The current output capacity is much higher than we expected or we saw according to amir's data. Then I managed to get higher power with 32ohm than amir but considerably lower current than with 8 ohm. This indicates power delivery limit. However it doesn't change whether it's both channel driven or not. So external power supply won't make a difference. It's not the total power that's lacking.
Question remained: two channels basically behaves independently. I don't know if the supply rails are splitted for each channel. If that's the case that may be the regulator that hits its power limited. If shared supply, I have no idea.
Takeaway: At least my unit is more powerful at 32ohm and at 8ohm it can still output 500mW+ dual channel driven.

auronthas

Thanks for your hint and lead me to check for DX3Pro diagramatic, Coaxial and SPDIF input passing through AK 4118 which support 24-192kHz before AK 4493 . Let me think how to link Aries Mini USB DAC to DX3 Pro USB input.

Edit: There's USB DAC at Mini for USB connection, will give it a try on pure AK 4493 DAC 's sound generated.

View attachment 29222
Tested with DSD files with USB DAC into DX3 Pro just now, everything is fine now , nevertheless there's smallhiccup… forgot to change DSD Native to DSD DoP, loud hissing sound from speaker , oops luckily my test was in low volume.

auronthas

While I'm waiting for my DX3 to arrive, can anyone answer this question?:

Once it's connected over USB, does/can the Windows volume control do anything? I ask because my keyboard has volume control keys that trigger the native Windows functionality and I'd love to keep using it, big clicky DX3 knob or not.
I believe you can control the volume at both Window and DX3 unit. Try it later since you have purchased it :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
ASIO or WASAPI only bypasses the windows audio. Software control is still available on the player but depends on which one you use.

auronthas

Not on ASIO with "no volume" RCA output. I have to use the volume on the receiver. No software volume on window , player software or DX3
My bad, I am not using ASIO or WASAPI, but using Aries Mini, can control volume from their Lightning DS apps and Roon apps. I can control the volume (dB) on DX3 Pro at DAC Pre-Amp, headphone mode. Usually I fix the volume (-30dB) at DX3 Pro and using integrated amplifier remote control to control the sound volume , need to crank up volume a lot though.

KarikBR

I have a speaker that can connect via RCA OR 3.5mm jack (Logitech Z323 ). The 3.5mm jack is the normal mode that I use to connect it to my notebook, in the headphone output. Can I connect this speaker (it is powered with directly in the wall socket) by using the headphone out 3.5mm of the topping DX3 pro ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have a speaker that can connect via RCA OR 3.5mm jack (Logitech Z323 ). The 3.5mm jack is the normal mode that I use to connect it to my notebook, in the headphone output. Can I connect this speaker (it is powered with directly in the wall socket) by using the headphone out 3.5mm of the topping DX3 pro ?
Either.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can anyone kindly confirm the current output of the stock included AC-to-15Vdc power adapter?

And is it a 5.5 x 2.1 mm DC plug?

It doesn't come with a plug for my country and I don't want to use an international AC adapter, so will source a good SMPS.

Probably a Mean Well or IdealPower UK.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can anyone kindly confirm the current output of the stock included AC-to-15Vdc power adapter?

And is it a 5.5 x 2.1 mm DC plug?

It doesn't come with a plug for my country and I don't want to use an international AC adapter, so will source a good SMPS.

Probably a Mean Well or IdealPower UK.
The stock external power supply is good enough proven by single channel driven has same output of both channel driven.
And about the spec, 1A 15Vdc inner positive 2.1mm plug. You can pickup whatever that has the same polarity+same voltage+not less current.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The stock external power supply is good enough proven by single channel driven has same output of both channel driven.

Noted and thanks for the info. This isn't the reason I'm looking for another SMPS.

As above, it doesn't come with a plug for my country and I don't want to use an international AC adapter.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Noted and thanks for the info. This isn't the reason I'm looking for another SMPS.

As above, it doesn't come with a plug for my country and I don't want to use an international AC adapter.
Yeah that's why I added you can pickup whatever that meets the spec.

Top Bottom