• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have Beyer DT880 600ohms. I feel the DX3pro can drive my headphones to uncomfortably loud volumes on most of my music, and that's close to max volume in high gain mode. On quieter tracks, I'd love to have more room to go louder that the DX3 allows, but they still play loud enough for me to enjoy. I am looking to perhaps add an Atom to my setup for those times I want more power with those headphones, but am in no rush considering how loud it already plays.
Atom won't make much of difference in power. It's limited by supply rail. Surely it's not that the performance degrades with 600ohm load or anything. And more power for 600ohm won't make any difference in sound quality either.
If you want very high power into 600ohm, you either want a discrete design or a balanced output. The former can have much higher supply rail that allows much higher voltage swing hence needed for 600ohm load. The latter, will give 6db extra headroom , 2 times the level, 4 times the power.

EarlZ

I just saw a review of the DX3 Pro in youtube and there was some issue with the line-out and pre-amp switching when using the volume knob , I just want to clarify if the remote can switch from headphones to pre-amp mode with a single press, as I want to use the pre-amp mode for volume control.

I also wonder how this DAC performs in gaming, Id assume they are far superior in SQ as compared to the Sound Blaster Z

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The impedance of headphone that can be used with DX3Pro is 16 Ohm to 300 Ohm in standard.
600ohm is a more comfortable load for amplifiers. The distortion only will be lower with 600ohm at the same voltage. "Issue" is the power rating will be lower because it takes higher voltage for same power and the power rail is not high enough. It may not actually be an issue unless it literally runs out of volume.

I just saw a review of the DX3 Pro in youtube and there was some issue with the line-out and pre-amp switching when using the volume knob , I just want to clarify if the remote can switch from headphones to pre-amp mode with a single press, as I want to use the pre-amp mode for volume control.

I also wonder how this DAC performs in gaming, Id assume they are far superior in SQ as compared to the Sound Blaster Z

Was this Zeos review? Its so easy to change between headphone and pre-out, its one button on the remote for headphone out, and one button for pre-out, you press the pre-out button again and it goes to line-out. Zeos issue was that people could accidentally press the line-out button twice and go to full line-out with loud volumes playing. I've done it twice myself, but I don't do that anymore as you learn pretty quickly not to double press it!!, I don't think its a big issue. Perhaps what would have been an interesting feature was if they had put sperate volume channels for line out and headphone out, so that when you change between the two the DX3 remember different volumes for either output.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
idk why there is the need to implement max volume lineout. I don't even think mine does this. Let me try.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
MrSpeakers Aeon has 13-14 Ohm rating. Any ideas how DX3Pro would behave with Aeon?
Aeon is certainly a harder load to drive. But don't worry. Dx3pro can drive 8 ohm 100mw with ease at 0.003% thd.

lator

Is there any Aftermarket adapter or socket for that function?
I haven't found anything in this thread to solve the problem. Topping is working on a version 2 that would include the protective circuit.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I haven't found anything in this thread to solve the problem. Topping is working on a version 2 that would include the protective circuit.
Just tested again it can reach under 0.001% to 0.0009% with 8ohm load 125mw.
However if you are waiting for the version 2, i heard there will be a increase in output impedance. That will be a deal breaker.
BTW when I was testing I got a loose connection and the unit turned of itself. It certainly has over current protection. I don't see the need for version 2.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
dx3pro 8ohm 125mw 1khz new.png

I did a test with 8 ohm iem a months ago. It was 0.002% Now it's with 8 ohm resistor. Same both 125mw.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
450mw 8ohm.png

You know what 450mW into 8ohm. Still good.
Well, it contradicts with amir's test with 33ohm. This thing outputs more than 230ma right now. Idk why it clips that early with 33ohm load in amir's measurements.

EarlZ

Was this Zeos review? Its so easy to change between headphone and pre-out, its one button on the remote for headphone out, and one button for pre-out, you press the pre-out button again and it goes to line-out. Zeos issue was that people could accidentally press the line-out button twice and go to full line-out with loud volumes playing. I've done it twice myself, but I don't do that anymore as you learn pretty quickly not to double press it!!, I don't think its a big issue. Perhaps what would have been an interesting feature was if they had put sperate volume channels for line out and headphone out, so that when you change between the two the DX3 remember different volumes for either output.

Yes it was his review, thanks for the clarification.

auronthas

Hi, I encounter certain high resolution files formats of DSD64, DSD 128, FLAC 24-bit 352.8kHz play with no sound (blinking coaxial text) in DX3 Pro in all modes (headphone, DAC, Pre-Amp) . Digital source is fed from Aries Mini.

I have tried to reset the unit by turning volume knob few times , but problem persists. Please advise what's wrong.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which part makes you think DSD is converted to PCM?
It goes into the same subsystem as PCM. So it reasons that it converts to PCM there, changes volume and outputs as PCM.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, it contradicts with amir's test with 33ohm. This thing outputs more than 230ma right now. Idk why it clips that early with 33ohm load in amir's measurements.
Are you driving one channel or two?

auronthas

Test with USB input and report is you can. The headphone output is tied to the volume. Open it and inspect. It's a Chinese toy. Mine is fine. I like it. The "no Volume direct line output " sound great even with a lack of opened up sound stage. Can't have everything for $100.
Thanks for your hint and lead me to check for DX3Pro diagramatic, Coaxial and SPDIF input passing through AK 4118 which support 24-192kHz before AK 4493 . Let me think how to link Aries Mini USB DAC to DX3 Pro USB input.

Edit: There's USB DAC at Mini for USB connection, will give it a try on pure AK 4493 DAC 's sound generated.

DX3Pro Schematic.jpg

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
It goes into the same subsystem as PCM. So it reasons that it converts to PCM there, changes volume and outputs as PCM.

Noted but without knowing what this sub-system is doing, it’s hard to say everything is output as PCM?

This may be the “black box” that has been discussed with ESS Sabre chips for years. AKM chips may be similar.

One theory I’ve seen with ESS Sabre chips is that 1 bit SDM is converted to 5 or 6 bit SDM for digital volume control... not converted to PCM....

Last edited:
Top Bottom