• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
This thread is much too long and winding. It might be a good idea to put mods in a separate thread from the review. As for the initial version having problems, this even happens with expensive stuff as anyone who bought a Nikon D800 early in the game learned.

on sale for 3 more days: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/toppi...bluetooth-dac-headphone-amplifier-dsd512.html I found the link with a duck duck go search for Topping DX3 pro. It's hidden otherwise.

Letm

This thread is much too long and winding. It might be a good idea to put mods in a separate thread from the review. As for the initial version having problems, this even happens with expensive stuff as anyone who bought a Nikon D800 early in the game learned.

on sale for 3 more days: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/toppi...bluetooth-dac-headphone-amplifier-dsd512.html I found the link with a duck duck go search for Topping DX3 pro. It's hidden otherwise.
You can also buy the dx3 pro from aoshida, with the code FANS, for $180 :)
Oh, by the way, I love my dx3 pro. Using it with a pair of jbl lsr 305 mkII and with a beyerdinamic dt 770 :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-13-18-54-17.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-13-18-54-17.png
    327.4 KB · Views: 203

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
You can also buy the dx3 pro from aoshida, with the code FANS, for $180 :)
Oh, by the way, I love my dx3 pro. Using it with a pair of jbl lsr 305 mkII and with a beyerdinamic dt 770 :D

Well, for a $7 savings that's fine, but I already ordered. I will use it with HD6xx. Mostly, I listen to speakers, but the DX3 pro will fit on my night table. I listen to headphones in bed when I am too wiped out to sit up in front of my LS50's, or when we have guests.

letsgoo

Oh, the seller on Amazon.de just increased the price. I always have problem with Bluetooth Module when I buy a BT5.0 Receiver. There are many short disconnection or jump in the music. But the DX3Pro is the only without any problem even APT-X.
Does anyone have a idea why? Is there a "cheaper" Bluetooth Receiver which should be ok?

TiborG

Oh, the seller on Amazon.de just increased the price. I always have problem with Bluetooth Module when I buy a BT5.0 Receiver. There are many short disconnection or jump in the music. But the DX3Pro is the only without any problem even APT-X.
Does anyone have a idea why? Is there a "cheaper" Bluetooth Receiver which should be ok?
If the source of bluetooth stream is smatphone with Android, the reason is the effort of android to save battery. Newer Android has this saving hidden in the battery settings - every manufacturer on its own. As soon as I turned off the display, the smooth flow of sound started to stutter (I even streamed .dsf files via UAPP and no problem) My older but still vital Samsung Galaxy S6 only has a factory-approved SBC codec. But through the Magisk module for AptX, the AptX HD also has these features (installed LineageOS 15.1). The system automatically selects the highest available codec when pairing. Great for
DX3 Pro !! Only this energy saving for bluetooth needs to appear in the settings. Of course, root, Magisk, and AptX modules are mandatory
1.png2.png3.png

Last edited:

letsgoo

If the source of bluetooth stream is smatphone with Android, the reason is the effort of android to save battery. Newer Android has this saving hidden in the battery settings - every manufacturer on its own. As soon as I turned off the display, the smooth flow of sound started to stutter (I even streamed .dsf files via UAPP and no problem) My older but still vital Samsung Galaxy S6 only has a factory-approved SBC codec. But through the Magisk module for AptX, the AptX HD also has these features (installed LineageOS 15.1). The system automatically selects the highest available codec when pairing. Great for
DX3 Pro !! Only this energy saving for bluetooth needs to appear in the settings. Of course, root, Magisk, and AptX modules are mandatory
View attachment 27697View attachment 27698View attachment 27699

Btw. I just figured out that there is different CSR Chipset in it. DX3Pro has CSR8675 but the other ones has 8670. I also found a thread someone complaining about Bose QC35 with that Chipset... so I'd like to test a "normal" Bluetooth receiver with the newer chipset...

Last edited:

06S2k07Si

I just received my DX3Pro today from Drop.com... (my DX7s is coming a few days behind this one) before I even power it on I will be opening it up and inspecting the PC board for imperfections... once I do this in the next few days, I will post my results and anything else I find. I have already obtained everything for any necessary fixes... other than component failures. ...I'll be in touch...

Brian

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I just received my DX3Pro today from Drop.com... (my DX7s is coming a few days behind this one) before I even power it on I will be opening it up and inspecting the PC board for imperfections... once I do this in the next few days, I will post my results and anything else I find. I have already obtained everything for any necessary fixes... other than component failures. ...I'll be in touch...

Brian
waste of time opening it up,but have fun.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Btw. I just figured out that there is different CSR Chipset in it. DX3Pro has CSR3675 but the other ones has 3670. I also found a thread someone complaining about Bose QC35 with that Chipset... so I'd like to test a "normal" Bluetooth receiver with the newer chipset...
Um the dx3pro uses the csr8675

06S2k07Si

waste of time opening it up,but have fun.
Well... maybe, but I'd rather go through the effort and find nothing rather than it dying after a short time like many others especially if I could possibly have prevented it. I can also see just what specific components are in this unit as well. Not to mention that this will be one more point of data for this forum. For me it's a win win...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well... maybe, but I'd rather go through the effort and find nothing rather than it dying after a short time like many others especially if I could possibly have prevented it. I can also see just what specific components are in this unit as well. Not to mention that this will be one more point of data for this forum. For me it's a win win...
I have looked inside of two of them and as noted, there is no sign of anything that could cause failures. But sure, keep us posted. :)

06S2k07Si

Amirm...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dx3-pro-vs-atom-dac.7299/#post-175502

"There are no heatsinks in DX3 Pro so that is not the issue. It seems the output stage goes into protection mode and/or shorts out potentially due to the way it is soldered. I have only had my two units shut down once each but then recover without problem."

I assumed that you meant here that there was a problem due to the soldering quality...did I misunderstand you? This is why I plan to open mine up. ...respectfully... Thank you.

kukocz

Forum Donor
Hi,

For those who wants know more about V2 of the DX3 Pro or P50 power supply - I've got the following answer from Topping:
Many thanks for your concerning our products.
For the DX3PRO, we are planning for the V2 version, the main difference are:to use electronic switch to replace the relay, to enhance the earphone protection circuit and to increase more formats in the Bluetooth input. The existing version hasn't any improvements or additions that can be upgraded through firmware upgrades, so new firmware will not be released at this stage.
2, DAC mode: We will consider using other methods to switch or cancel this mode on v2. Since this is controlled by the MCU, the user cannot update the firmware of the MCU by itself, so there is no way to change the existing version.
3, P50, we are doing the final preparation before it release, and will be released soon. The price is not yet available.

Sounds promising :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi,

For those who wants know more about V2 of the DX3 Pro or P50 power supply - I've got the following answer from Topping:

Didn't someone mention about the increased output impedance? That will break the purpose of this dac amp combo.

kukocz

Forum Donor
Didn't someone mention about the increased output impedance? That will break the purpose of this dac amp combo.
Yup, I have AD8620 instead OPA2140 in my new unit after replacement. I'm not sure if Topping is planning to use it in V2 of DX3 Pro. Maybe earphone protection circuit will be enough.
Unfortunately I can't say anything about changes in sound because I use it mainly as a DAC/prea-mp. So this change is not a deal-breaker for me.
As Veri said - we can only wait... :)

letsgoo

Hi,

But the V2 is not released by now, is it?
I wrote a few days ago, but Shenzhen Audio increased the price of this unit, so maybe...

therlane

Hello - how do I get it into bluetooth pairing?

No mention in the manual. Tried a lot of things with buttons, 3 devices (iPhone, iPad, Win10 Notebook), can't find the device on bluetooth.

TiborG

Hello - how do I get it into bluetooth pairing?

No mention in the manual. Tried a lot of things with buttons, 3 devices (iPhone, iPad, Win10 Notebook), can't find the device on bluetooth.

If your refrigerator has bluetooth, it will be seen as the first pairing device.

Top Bottom