• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

MPeaches

Got it from my local hi-end audio shop, loving it. JFL tested dx3 against multiple much pricey sources at the store (something from teac, top-shelf schiit stack, OPPO ha-1) and couldn't feel even a slightest difference with Hifiman Sundara. Even brought my laptop for extensive tests on familiar hi-res tracks. I originally planned to go with Loxjie P20+SMSL SU-8, but oh well, P20 is going back to china now.

Also, dx3s since 1904594xxx serial number are having new PSU and a bigger remote controller with 2 AAA batteries which feels really nice.
3eJtmASeihk.jpg
Q5lTz5GRXi0.jpg

TiborG

The weirdest thing just happened. I got one of those USB-C to HDMI adapters and was trying out Dex for Samsung with my Galaxy S9+ (essentially turns your smartphone into a desktop PC). There is an extra USB 3.0 port on the adapter for peripherals so I thought "hey, let's try out the DX3 and see if we can route audio out while video runs out the HDMI port on the adapter".

I opened up Poweramp Android music app and music played for about 5 seconds before cutting out. Poweramp kept playing music and it said it was running to the DX3, but no sound was playing either from my speaker nor headphones. Gave up on it and plugged the DX3 back into my PC. The PC wouldn't recognize the DX3 at all (this is via USB), Bluetooth was working, but no USB functionality. I tried pre-line-out and headphone out and no sound would play, the Topping driver panel in WIndows would not recognize anything either. I tried selecting full line-out to my speakers and lo and behold there was sound (nearly blew my speakers and eardrums :| ), It said 192 khz was running out the back, but the song that was playing was a different frequency. So essentially the DX3 was stuck in 192 khz and would only play sound when full line-level output was selected. Tried factory reset where you turn the dial 6 times counterclockwise while in rest mode, that did nothing. After a bit of panic, I remembered to pull the power plug out the back and then plug it back in, that seemed to fix the issue!

Everything seems to have returned to normal. Got a hell of a fright as well thinking something had broken on the damn thing. Does anyone have any idea as to what I just experienced?

Good attempt to Dispose of DX3. From Android you have to go through OTG-USB adapter to DX3 supplied USB cable. Android Settings / Developer Settings / USB Configuration / Switch from MTP to Audio Source It depends on the Android version. I think Android 8.0 doesn't have this setting. Be glad you didn't take off DX3. Finally, it's also in the picture to connect your smartphone to DX3 in manual.
Galaxy S9 + has optional Bluetooth AptX HD, so you don't risk anything and you don't know the difference in quality when connected.Very simple test

Last edited:

da Choge

Forum Donor
Got it from my local hi-end audio shop, loving it. JFL tested dx3 against multiple much pricey sources at the store (something from teac, top-shelf schiit stack, OPPO ha-1) and couldn't feel even a slightest difference with Hifiman Sundara. Even brought my laptop for extensive tests on familiar hi-res tracks. I originally planned to go with Loxjie P20+SMSL SU-8, but oh well, P20 is going back to china now.

MPeaches:

You wouldn't know what that "something from TEAC" was would you? I am very interested in the TEAC NT-505 as a two-in-one solution for a music file/online streamer/DAC solution for my bedroom audio setup. I have the Topping DX3 and like it very much, but right now it is just being used as a very good quality DAC to feed powered stand-alone PC speakers and headphones at my computer desk. I would be a tad-bit surprised to find-out that the DX3 outperforms the much higher-priced and [so far] relatively well-reviewed TEAC NT-505. But, I guess that's what we find out in this forum all too often, isn't it?

- john

Good attempt to Dispose of DX3. From Android you have to go through OTG-USB adapter to DX3 supplied USB cable. Android Settings / Developer Settings / USB Configuration / Switch from MTP to Audio Source It depends on the Android version. I think Android 8.0 doesn't have this setting. Be glad you didn't take off DX3. Finally, it's also in the picture to connect your smartphone to DX3 in manual.
Galaxy S9 + has optional Bluetooth AptX HD, so you don't risk anything and you don't know the difference in quality when connected.Very simple test

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know it needs an OTG cable, which the adapter I purchased says it is as well as a USB c to HDMI adapter. USB out to MIDI was selected as that is the new Android versions option for audio out to DAC. I guess the S9 can't push both audio to a DAC and video to HDMI at the same time

kukocz

Forum Donor

Also, dx3s since 1904594xxx serial number are having new PSU and a bigger remote controller with 2 AAA batteries which feels really nice.

Mine is 1902 so it seems not to be a general rule. But maybe I've got new remote and power supply because of replacement of my faulty DX3 Pro by Topping.

MPeaches

MPeaches:

You wouldn't know what that "something from TEAC" was would you? I am very interested in the TEAC NT-505 as a two-in-one solution for a music file/online streamer/DAC solution for my bedroom audio setup. I have the Topping DX3 and like it very much, but right now it is just being used as a very good quality DAC to feed powered stand-alone PC speakers and headphones at my computer desk. I would be a tad-bit surprised to find-out that the DX3 outperforms the much higher-priced and [so far] relatively well-reviewed TEAC NT-505. But, I guess that's what we find out in this forum all too often, isn't it?

- john
I dunno, really, their NT/UD look the same. It most likely was one of AK4497 models. I honestly couldn't feel even a subtle difference and though I am always sceptical about these things(it could possibly dim my real feelings), they sure had their fair shot. IMO, expensive sources have overloaded circuitry which solves nonexistent problems and/or does same things differently for sake of marketing and justification of higher price. But if you really need higher frequency range, two TEAC-HLCD, TEAC-QVCS, OSRD RDOT-NEO upsampling, Bulk Pet usd, dual mono with separate transformers, whatever practical use all of this has, some expensive certifications for compatibility with very specific hardware/software - then go ahead :)

Last edited:

MPeaches

Mine is 1902 so it seems not to be a general rule. But maybe I've got new remote and power supply because of replacement of my faulty DX3 Pro by Topping.
Yeah, it might be because of refurb. On russian forum 4pda another guy has new 1904594xxx unit, which he ordered from china in late may, with glass screen, new PSU and RC, while 1904593xxx still has classic package.
I would also like to look inside my unit to see if my dx3 have AD8620 installed, but can't find how to disconnect board from the screen and volume control, front panel has no screws. However you captured your chip, I had no success.

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor
Yeah, it might be because of refurb. On russian forum 4pda another guy has new 1904594xxx unit, which he ordered from china in late may, with glass screen, new PSU and RC, while 1904593xxx still has classic package.
I would also like to look inside my unit to see if my dx3 have AD8620 installed, but can't find how to disconnect board from the screen and volume control, front panel has no screws. However you captured your chip, I had no success.
My unit doesn't seem to be refurbished. I couldn't find any evidence it was refurbished. Foil on LCD, everything packed like brand new. Topping also didn't tell me they're going to send refurbished unit. Either they did it perfectly or there was no fixed point in production for which they changed power supply/remote.

Received my unit 5 days ago, batch 1904. Replaced my fx-audio dac-x6, very impressed with the quality and sound, amp drives my dt880 250 Ohms no issues at all, volume knob very precise and linear like digital on windows. BT works perfect, remote also with 2AAA betteries which is good. Nice display and overall solid build.
Could you please reveal first 7 digits of your serial number? Did you get new or old type of power supply? I'm courious if your SN fits the pattern @MPeaches mentioned.

Maat

update.
The package arrived in Italy without requiring the payment of customs costs. I rejected the package and the seller SHENZEN AUDIO immediately refunded me.
I'm really happy. I also highly recommend this seller

Great news about no customs fees and seller.
May I ask why did you refuse delivery and ask for refund if there were no additional costs to you?

ngs428

I like the all in one package of the DX3 versus the JDS Atom + separate DAC, plus all the criticism the JDS gets for below par build quality but the reliability issues I am hearing about the DX3 Pro sound pretty scary.

I am thinking I should just get the Atom and a seperate DAC; it may not be as pretty and feel a bit cheap but we know the performance will be top notch and it won't fail on me. Does anyone know if JDS is coming out with DAC/AMP combo version of the Atom soon or should I just get seperates now OR are we confident the DX3 Pro quality issues have been corrected?

I'll be driving HD650's.

For me having the cheaper case on the Atom vs potential issues on the DX3 pro.. no brainer to go with the Atom and separate DAC (Tone Board). We are calling it the ASR special! :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Does anyone know if JDS is coming out with DAC/AMP combo version of the Atom soon or should I just get seperates now OR are we confident the DX3 Pro quality issues have been corrected?

I'll be driving HD650's.

New products are slated for "2019" which could be anywhere from now till December..

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I started to keep a record of the unit going into standby by itself. Here's what I have so far.

4/16 - 12am
4/28 - 3:44am
5/8 - 10:11pm
5/20 - 3:22am

I wonder if it's a pattern? Seems to be happening fairly consistently every 10-12 days.

Mine always goes into standby by itself if it's not in use. I figured its a power setting and useful feature. It never goes off while in use though.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I got a new one with serial 190... but it has the problem with clicking when I stop music and start again while connected over Bluetooth. Is it normal? No KHz changing.

Start Music - Click - Stop Music - Click
Youtube: Only changed the time of a music - Click!

Mine clicks whenever I change inputs e.g. from USB to Optical or Bluetooth. I figured this is a feature of the device, not a fault or problem.

I also have a 190 serial number unit :)

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Just an update for my previous post ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/post-173391), as promised:
Ordered DX3 Pro from Amazon.de From tracking info found out it was shipped from China, but when ordering via mobile Amazon app it wasn't apparrent that it would ship from China, but it said German VAT already applied and included in price.
Due to shipping from China there was possibility of significant additional cost to me, VAT, customs/import/handling fees. Croatian customs office indeed applied all of these fees to the parcel prior to delivery.
I've sent a message to seller Shenzen Audio via Amazon.de about it, and they issued a refund for all these additional costs. We exchanged few messages, they were very polite and forthcoming all the time, and replied quickly to every message in a most satisfactory way. So thumbs up for Shenzen Audio seller from me and huge recommendation. I don't think I have ever had potential nightmare online shopping turn out into the most pleasing shopping experience that smooth.

I haven't had much time to test DX3 Pro, but in these few hours I really really love it. I came from onboard audio, and later Creative SB X-FI HD external, also tried NuForce uDAC3 for a few days (wasn't satisfied). DX3 Pro is worlds away. The sound is much cleaner, much more powerful. I can hear more details, for the first time it's not muddled and I am beginning to understand now what all the talk about soundstage and separation is. Now I need to save some money for more decent headphones :D
My serial starts with 1904, and remote that came with it uses 2 AAA baterries.

I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones with my DX3 Pro, and I can tell you its an amazing combination :D

Evoken

Hello guys I am in the market for a headphone amp/dac all in one combo.

I have narrowed down to the Topping D3x Pro, Aune 1xs and Xduoo TA 10. Despite the questionable quality of the topping, I am kinda leaning towards it as it is able to run less sensitive IEM with no issue. I will be using the amp with HD660S.

Any opinions on that? All 3 of them will be rougly on the same price point with the topping being the cheapest and Xduoo the more expensive out of the bunch

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

I have narrowed down to the Topping D3x Pro, Aune 1xs and Xduoo TA 10. Despite the questionable quality of the topping, I am kinda leaning towards it as it is able to run less sensitive IEM with no issue. I will be using the amp with HD660S.

Any opinions on that? All 3 of them will be rougly on the same price point with the topping being the cheapest and Xduoo the more expensive out of the bunch
dx3pro hands down.

miguelx74

Great news about no customs fees and seller.
May I ask why did you refuse delivery and ask for refund if there were no additional costs to you?

hello, European friend, :p:)thank you!

The Dx3 Pro is also sold by amazon.it. So I bought the Dx3 Pro on amazon.it.
With amazon.it I have the possibility to make returns without paying shipping costs.
After trying the Topping D10 / Jds Labs Atom combo I decided to return the Dx3 Pro to amazon.it

Now then I own D10 / Atom and I'm happy. After trying them both I preferred D10 / Atom

Maat

hello, European friend, :p:)thank you!

The Dx3 Pro is also sold by amazon.it. So I bought the Dx3 Pro on amazon.it.
With amazon.it I have the possibility to make returns without paying shipping costs.
After trying the Topping D10 / Jds Labs Atom combo I decided to return the Dx3 Pro to amazon.it

Now then I own D10 / Atom and I'm happy. After trying them both I preferred D10 / Atom

Ah, I understand now.
Sounds like a nice combination. Hope you enjoy it!

pacman

The DX3Pro with HD660S is a really neat combo

Top Bottom