• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

aoaaron

Sorry not sure, I'm not the person to talk too about audio stuff, just wanted the best sound/functionality for my buck. I had a cheap FiiO and Schiit before. Maybe check ASR reviews to see. I think the remote is the best this dac/amp has going for. I wouldn't want to go back to a device without a remote, particularly for switching between pre and headphones. Sorry to hear about the standby issue, weird that it worked fine prior to the update...may want to continue troubleshooting? Hopefully JDS Labs makes a DX3 competitor without the issues and has a remote. If it won't take months to get a fixed device maybe send it back in...nothing against Chinese companies but its a major hassle if you have issues and live in NA, they should have an express exchange option where you pay for a replacement and they refund the money upon receipt of the defective device to cut the wait times in half.

Thanks, I brought it through Amazon so it will be a hassle free return. I'm not going to pursue a replacement. As much as I really like the remote, I value reliability far more in all my AV products. (10+ year lifespan) I thought the issues with this product are a myth, sadly it seems there really is a bit of build quality issues.

The remote is really a godsend, especially if you're switching between content (music to videos)

My workaround with the JDS Atom/DAC combo will be to have a really long USB extension cable to bring the box closer to me in the living room haha. Something really satisfying about turning a knob to turn up the volume.

For now I'll run a Q1 Mark ii/DAC until I can settle on a good DAC. I'm really really hesitant to buy another topping product now as I was contemplating the D30 or D10.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know there's a high gain mode, haven't really had the need to use it except if I want a Disney film like Aladdin to be crazy loud.
That is what the high-gain is for. Just set it to that and then turn the volume down.

Dmytro

Sorry not sure, I'm not the person to talk too about audio stuff, just wanted the best sound/functionality for my buck. I had a cheap FiiO and Schiit before. Maybe check ASR reviews to see. I think the remote is the best this dac/amp has going for. I wouldn't want to go back to a device without a remote, particularly for switching between pre and headphones. Sorry to hear about the standby issue, weird that it worked fine prior to the update...may want to continue troubleshooting? Hopefully JDS Labs makes a DX3 competitor without the issues and has a remote. If it won't take months to get a fixed device maybe send it back in...nothing against Chinese companies but its a major hassle if you have issues and live in NA, they should have an express exchange option where you pay for a replacement and they refund the money upon receipt of the defective device to cut the wait times in half.
I also had issue with my DX3 Pro. Сontacted Topping service at March 8. They asked to send device to China and paid all expenses of return delivery (thanks for that!). It was delivered to Topping at April 3. Till now they haven't sent me replacement as DX3 Pro are out of stock. Still waiting for a reply from them. So, it could take months :)

gypsygib

Thanks, I brought it through Amazon so it will be a hassle free return. I'm not going to pursue a replacement. As much as I really like the remote, I value reliability far more in all my AV products. (10+ year lifespan) I thought the issues with this product are a myth, sadly it seems there really is a bit of build quality issues.

The remote is really a godsend, especially if you're switching between content (music to videos)

My workaround with the JDS Atom/DAC combo will be to have a really long USB extension cable to bring the box closer to me in the living room haha. Something really satisfying about turning a knob to turn up the volume.

For now I'll run a Q1 Mark ii/DAC until I can settle on a good DAC. I'm really really hesitant to buy another topping product now as I was contemplating the D30 or D10.

You could still troubleshoot, seems weird that it would be a hardware defect if it worked fine prior to the update. Are you sure your USB ports aren't powering off due to inactivity or a driver issue? Sometimes USB 3 ports don't play well with USB 2 devices requiring a reinstall... But if you lost confidence in reliability that's 100% understandable too. Personally, I'd think twice before purchasing another Topping device, they kinda blew the launch. Although, that could just mean that subsequent devices get extra QC..who knows.

Anyways, happy gaming and movie watching and enjoy your Atom!

aoaaron

You could still troubleshoot, seems weird that it would be a hardware defect if it worked fine prior to the update. Are you sure your USB ports aren't powering off due to inactivity or a driver issue? Sometimes USB 3 ports don't play well with USB 2 devices requiring a reinstall... But if you lost confidence in reliability that's 100% understandable too. Personally, I'd think twice before purchasing another Topping device, they kinda blew the launch. Although, that could just mean that subsequent devices get extra QC..who knows.

Anyways, happy gaming and movie watching and enjoy your Atom!

I'll give it a go with my MacBook Pro now but honestly.. I just need a device that works all the time when I want to.

When my Fioo Q1m2 portable amp has been FLAWLESS since buying it.. apart from lacking power for video games and films without gain.. I'm not sure if I can get used to this from them.

The atom will hopefully be fun haha. I hope it has enough raw power that i wont need high gain but we'll see.

I'll give the D3 pro a go with my Mbp before it goes back. I also didn't like the fact i keep getting static from the device lol..

gypsygib

I'll give the D3 pro a go with my Mbp before it goes back. I also didn't like the fact i keep getting static from the device lol..

So it's not just my device!

My FiiO E10k would get the same interference sound at max volume on high gain (along with a tonne of other noise) but my Schitt Stack didn't so I wasn't sure, even as a dac only, if I put the DX3 on high gain the interference comes through into another amp's headphone out even though volume never changed and even with very short RCA cords. Guess that's reassuring that mine's probably not defective but sucks that it doesn't shield interference well or high gain somehow amplifies it.

I'll keep mine for now and cross my fingers that JDS Labs makes a compact all in one with a remote for under $300. At least when I sell it, I don't have to say it's slightly defective.

EDIT: Just checked the volume on Witcher 3, definitely set a record for having to turn it up but I still wouldn't want if higher than -7 on low gain. Even at that level, the bird whistles were a bit too loud. For my normal kinda loud preference I'd probably use -9.

Last edited:

pacman

For the record: mine, which is in heavy use for 3 months, went to stand-by itself today while in DAC mode. I turned it on again and it's working normally until now.

It's the 3rd or 4rt occurrence in 3 months. Kinda concerning.

azxswq

I am beginning to suspect that a lot of complainers here are hired by other brands.

They all joined yesterday just to whine about something.
I bought a Jan-2019 (1901XXXYYZZ) version, and it is fine, how can this be a problem post 1812 (Dec 2018.)?

I just don't trust the negative reviews that is popping up now. It is April, Topping has fixed its problems.
DX3 Pro is excellent.

vicksaint

I am beginning to suspect that a lot of complainers here are hired by other brands.

They all joined yesterday just to whine about something.
I bought a Jan-2019 (1901XXXYYZZ) version, and it is fine, how can this be a problem post 1812 (Dec 2018.)?

I just don't trust the negative reviews that is popping up now. It is April, Topping has fixed its problems.
DX3 Pro is excellent.

And I suspect that you are a representative of TOPPING trying to deceive the reality of the failures of this product!

VickSaint

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi anirm, you still have this unit? Would you test it again for -6db 1khz and 6khz thd+n spectrum of headphone output? I returned my su8 and dx3pro is the replacement. Thanks.

frankh

It's hilarious how some people keep whining about a $175 product. Imagine paying $175 for a dinner that you're not happy with...Do you go back to the restaurant every other day to whine about how bad the food taste??? If that happens to me, I'd stop going to that restaurant...that's all. It's totally pointless whining over $175. Many people pay much more than $175 for a meal...LOL.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's hilarious how some people keep whining about a $175 product. Imagine paying $175 for a dinner that you're not happy with...Do you go back to the restaurant every other day to whine about how bad the food taste??? If that happens to me, I'd stop going to that restaurant...that's all. It's totally pointless whining over $175. Many people pay much more than $175 for a meal...LOL.

Some people earn $175 in half a day, some don't.
The people who pay $175 for a random dinner can afford a $1 750 DAC.
As for those who have limited budget, isn't it better to get something that will work properly rather than a lemon?

And what's wrong about warning other people about product flaws on a Hi-fi forum?

frankh

Some people earn $175 in half a day, some don't.
The people who pay $175 for a random dinner can afford a $1 750 DAC.
As for those who have limited budget, isn't it better to get something that will work properly rather than a lemon?

And what's wrong about warning other people about product flaws on a Hi-fi forum?

From the look of the posts on this thread...it looks to me like there's more "whining" than "warning people about product flaws". I believe Amirm has officially posted a warning on his DX3 Pro review in case you're not aware of it. Oh btw, there's a HUGE difference between "warning people about product flaws" and "bad mouthing"...in case you don't know the difference. Oh btw I fall under the category of people who don't earn $175 in half a day and yet happily paid $175 for my DX3 Pro.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Poor analogy. Aren't you going to whining about it when you paid for 1 year supply of dinner in a restaurant and it tastes bad?

TP-Wong

Audio Company
Dear TP-Wong,
I had the unfortunate idea of buying a DX3 Pro, the serial number for your reference was 1901594466 (beginning of February) and in just 2 weeks of use the DX3 Pro enter in standby mode 3 times, the last time nor the standby screen dot point was visible, the equipment looked completely dead, I had to unplug it from the power and leave it off for over 60 minutes for the DX3 Pro to wake up again.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-149#post-154044

I finally lost all confidence in this equipment and asked for a refund to "Shenzhen Audio", they already received the equipment (at least two weeks ago, please contact Alisa Luo) and "Shenzhen Audio" said that it would be sent to TOPPING, so I do not understand how can you say you are unaware of this problem!

This experience with your products was terrible, and I ended up losing a lot of money in taxes, customs and returning costs.
For all this I do not recommend Topping products anymore to anyone and I have lost any confidence in the resolution of any problems related to your products.

I am sorry for your bad experience. I hope that next time you will have better experience of our product.

TP-Wong

Audio Company
So update after few hours, my new DX3PRO died - again permanent standby issue. I lost confidence in quality and flawless design of this unit. This is already my second unit which broken exactly the same way. Contacted topping really interesting what they will respond.

I received your email and staff of the after-sales group had told me all.

This situation shock me. Because in any case, it is very abnormal for a same user to met the same problem twice. And the worse is, your second DX3 Pro has passed the 100+ hour aging test, but dead in several hours working.

After doing a series of experiments, we believe that this has something to do with the use environment or habits. Our after-sales group will soon send you another unit for test, they will keep in touch with you to follow up on its status.

pacman

From the look of the posts on this thread...it looks to me like there's more "whining" than "warning people about product flaws". I believe Amirm has officially posted a warning on his DX3 Pro review in case you're not aware of it. Oh btw, there's a HUGE difference between "warning people about product flaws" and "bad mouthing"...in case you don't know the difference. Oh btw I fall under the category of people who don't earn $175 in half a day and yet happily paid $175 for my DX3 Pro.
It may sounds silly for you complaining about random shutdowns that occurs once in a month on a 200 bucks device.

I respect your opinion, please be polite and respect others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom