• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Pavel

Yes, installed NE5532. This OP is old but stable and time-tested. I did not hear the difference in sound between OP1612 and NE5532 (OPA2140 burned out) in the headphone amplifier.
I do not want to risk my hearing and expensive headphones.
In line output, instead of OPA1612, MUSES02 is now installed.
NE5532 and MUSES02 have low bandwidth. Аnd I like the way they sound.

Last edited:

david99

Yes, installed NE5532. This OP is old but stable and time-tested. I did not hear the difference in sound between OP1612 and NE5532 (OPA2140 burned out) in the headphone amplifier.
I do not want to risk my hearing and expensive headphones.
In line output, instead of OPA1612, MUSES02 is now installed.
NE5532 and MUSES02 have low bandwidth. Аnd I like the way they sound.
Do you know why your original OPA2140 burnet out? Did you experienced the permanent standby issue with it as well? After replacement of all compomnents you mentioned did you ever experiences that device goes to standby itself?

Pavel

Do you know why your original OPA2140 burnet out?
Just in one channel of a linear output DC +5V appeared. I was lucky that at this moment the headphones were not connected. After removing the OPA2140 from the DX3, the output line is working again.
After replacement of all compomnents you mentioned did you ever experiences that device goes to standby itself?
No, I had no standby problems. The power system has changed a lot.
I have replaced many components and a circuit diagram. Enumeration of all takes a lot of time.

david99

Just in one channel of a linear output DC +5V appeared. I was lucky that at this moment the headphones were not connected. After removing the OPA2140 from the DX3, the output line is working again.

No, I had no standby problems. The power system has changed a lot.
I have replaced many components and a circuit diagram. Enumeration of all takes a lot of time.
I had something similar with first unit after I somehow managed to power it again on from permanent standby there was permanent 5v on one channel on headphone output. For how long are you running it with MUSES + NE5532? Is it perfectly stable?

Pavel

david99, you don't hear me. My experience will not help you.
My changes are not just an OP replacement. Changed power supply circuit, headphone amplifier output stages.

azxswq

Had the Massdrop version of this.
Everything is working well. Will buy again.

Incidentally, the drop is available right now.

1901X version. Can't complain. I am using this with 1060C, 6XX, 580 and a few good IEMs.

azxswq

I just feel that a lot of complain is about the old version 1812X. (Probably means Dec 2018. And mine is Jan 2019 manufacturing date)

And not enough people state the obvious, most people love it. Had no problem with it and wasn't going to replace any op-amp.

BTW, I have a MIT degree in EECS and Master's. AND I still won't mess with the internals. Just get one and ask for a refund if it doesn't work.

Or buy 789 THX AAA if you want a better amp.

Last edited:

TiborG

My darling has serial number 1812593 ... He didn't hesitate in anything once. Used 4 months a day 4-10 hours as DAC, Bluetooth receiver and especially as a headphone amplifier. Topping could have filled the planet with this problem if it hadn't been with OPA.

simonchretien

Your unit and @Wolven 's unit is quite special, we never received this kind of report before. How about sending back to us for analysis? I will pay back you shipping fee and send new unit to you. I think 2 units will be enough.

Are you kidding, I contacted Topping 3 times explaning this exact situation in January, my units turning off once every week or so.
All I got for a reply was to send it back to the original seller, which I didnt cause it was too expensive, and I figured I'd probably just get another identical unit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you kidding, I contacted Topping 3 times explaning this exact situation in January, my units turning off once every week or so.
All I got for a reply was to send it back to the original seller, which I didnt cause it was too expensive, and I figured I'd probably just get another identical unit.
You are responding to the company representative there. He is offering to pay for shipping. It would be good if you sent it in so that there is no doubt that they are investigating it.

simonchretien

You are responding to the company representative there. He is offering to pay for shipping. It would be good if you sent it in so that there is no doubt that they are investigating it.

Sorry but I was just pointing out that saying this "behavior" being special and not having reports of this is pure BS.

aoaaron

I bought a DX3 Pro. With films and games, its not loud enough. At 0DB its JUST about good enough but I would have liked more headroom. Is this a limitation of the box or is there something wrong with my PC?

Its connected via USB.

gypsygib

I bought a DX3 Pro. With films and games, its not loud enough. At 0DB its JUST about good enough but I would have liked more headroom. Is this a limitation of the box or is there something wrong with my PC?

Its connected via USB.

What headphones? Are you sure the windows volume is at max?

aoaaron

What headphones? Are you sure the windows volume is at max?

Hey, I'm using a set of AKG 712s.

I have windows volume set to 100% and the DX3 PRo speaker set to 100%.

With Music, 20db is comfortable listening volume, 10db is very very loud for some songs but genuinely nice for a one off song.

With films via Kodi, -3db to 0db is really nice but anything lower is quite quiet.

With games, I'm around -8db on Dragon quest, witcher 3 maybe -5db or so.

Is this all normal or is there something wrong in my setup?

I know there's a high gain mode, haven't really had the need to use it except if I want a Disney film like Aladdin to be crazy loud. The remote for this thing is amazing and as a lounge DAC/AMP, it seems absolutely necessary. Kind of wish it did pack a bit more power but that's would mitigate the remote control if i were to hook it up with an amp.

gypsygib

Hey, I'm using a set of AKG 712s.

I have windows volume set to 100% and the DX3 PRo speaker set to 100%.

With Music, 20db is comfortable listening volume, 10db is very very loud for some songs but genuinely nice for a one off song.

With films via Kodi, -3db to 0db is really nice but anything lower is quite quiet.

With games, I'm around -8db on Dragon quest, witcher 3 maybe -5db or so.

Is this all normal or is there something wrong in my setup?

I know there's a high gain mode, haven't really had the need to use it except if I want a Disney film like Aladdin to be crazy loud. The remote for this thing is amazing and as a lounge DAC/AMP, it seems absolutely necessary. Kind of wish it did pack a bit more power but that's would mitigate the remote control if i were to hook it up with an amp.

I couldn't imagine it having any difficulty blowing your eardrums on 712s. Although, IME some games master dynamic range poorly so that voices and the like are extremely quiet but explosions and other big sounds are painfully loud, much more so than a typical movie. Check to see that the game's master volume is at max but it's normal for some games to require a significant volume bump compared to everything else. AC Odyssy I need about -15 to -10 on my DT1990s (250ohm/102dB SPL i think) to be loud but for everything else more than -20 is plenty loud. All on low gain. I can test Witcher 3 and get back to you later..

My JBL 305p's need about 13/20 on the dial to match headphone loudness.

Edit: Also just wanted to agree that the remote is magical, main reason for keeping mine. Unfortunately mine picks up a bunch of interference on high gain, Topping said to send it in but I don't want to be without a dac/amp for 2-3 months and pay shipping. I don't use high gain so I'll just keep it, kinda sucks though and make me question buying another Topping device but hopefully I won't have to replace anything for a while.

Last edited:

aoaaron

I couldn't imagine it having any difficulty blowing your eardrums on 712s. Although, IME some games master dynamic range poorly so that voices and the like are extremely quiet but explosions and other big sounds are painfully loud, much more so than a typical movie. Check to see that the game's master volume is at max but it's normal for some games to require a significant volume bump compared to everything else. AC Odyssy I need about -15 to -10 on my DT1990s (250ohm/102dB SPL i think) to be loud but for everything else more than -20 is plenty loud. All on low gain. I can test Witcher 3 and get back to you later..

My JBL 305p's need about 13/20 on the dial to match headphone loudness.

Edit: Also just wanted to agree that the remote is magical, main reason for keeping mine. Unfortunately mine picks up a bunch of interference on high gain, Topping said to send it in but I don't want to be without a dac/amp for 2-3 months and pay shipping. I don't use high gain so I'll just keep it, kinda sucks though and make me question buying another Topping device but hopefully I won't have to replace anything for a while.

All low gain.

Thanks. I just played Witcher 3 and I'd say around -5db is nice and loud.
I played Rise of the Tomb Raider and -5 or -4db was good. I couldn't do any louder because the gunshot sound would deafen me eventually lol.

aoaaron

Okay well my DX3 Pro just seems to have crashed. I had just updated the firmware about half an hour ago as per the topping site.

It has a small orange dot and its not waking up.

Any reccomendations for an amp/dac combo with a remote which isn't this one?

I think I might just buy a long-ish USB 2.0 cable and see if i can run it from my Pc to a place close to me.

Last edited:

gypsygib

Okay well my DX3 Pro just seems to have crashed. I had just updated the firmware about half an hour ago as per the topping site.

It has a small orange dot and its not waking up.

Any reccomendations for an amp/dac combo with a remote which isn't this one?

I think I might just buy a long-ish USB 2.0 cable and see if i can run it from my Pc to a place close to me.

Sorry not sure, I'm not the person to talk too about audio stuff, just wanted the best sound/functionality for my buck. I had a cheap FiiO and Schiit before. Maybe check ASR reviews to see. I think the remote is the best this dac/amp has going for. I wouldn't want to go back to a device without a remote, particularly for switching between pre and headphones. Sorry to hear about the standby issue, weird that it worked fine prior to the update...may want to continue troubleshooting? Hopefully JDS Labs makes a DX3 competitor without the issues and has a remote. If it won't take months to get a fixed device maybe send it back in...nothing against Chinese companies but its a major hassle if you have issues and live in NA, they should have an express exchange option where you pay for a replacement and they refund the money upon receipt of the defective device to cut the wait times in half.

Top Bottom