• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

agjell

Forum Donor
How is the 58X with the DX3 treating you? :)
All in all: Well.

Depending on the source, the DX3 Pro doesn't always have enough power to drive the 58X in low gain, but I've never run out of power in high gain. For gaming it's a brilliant combination, for music I'm having mixed feelings. I can really feel the bass in games, it's very enjoyable. With music I'm experiencing a bit of listening fatigue, but that may just be me.

I'm coming from a pair of Sennheiser HD 555/595 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR (WASAPI exclusive over HDMI). Probably far from ideal with headphones, and far from transparent. But in many cases I still prefer the Onkyo and the 595, as I never experience listening fatigue with that combo, even though I turn the volume up quite high. Comparing whatever graphs I can find online of the frequency response of the 595 and the 580X, I'm assuming it's the bump at 5-6k that make the latter a bit more fatiguing. I have no empirical data to prove any differences, though. Wish I had measuring gear to test/verify.

I'm not sure my opinion is of much worth to anyone. I've never listened to a studio setup and probably never listened to a transparent setup either. And I've always preferred a muted treble. The comfort of my eardrums is very important to me. Had I only known their frequency response :D

Edit: Using EqualizerAPO with Peace GUI and the attached configuration made the music experience SO much more enjoyable. I've been listening to this setup for many hours now with no listening fatigue.

Attachments

• HD58X_DX3_agjell.zip
    447 bytes · Views: 121
  • HD58X_DX3_agjell_v2.zip
    484 bytes · Views: 94
Last edited:
All in all: Well.

Depending on the source, the DX3 Pro doesn't always have enough power to drive the 58X in low gain, but I've never run out of power in high gain. For gaming it's a brilliant combination, for music I'm having mixed feelings. I can really feel the bass in games, it's very enjoyable. With music I'm experiencing a bit of listening fatigue, but that may just be me.

I'm coming from a pair of Sennheiser HD 555/595 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR (WASAPI exclusive over HDMI). Probably far from ideal with headphones, and far from transparent. But in many cases I still prefer the Onkyo and the 595, as I never experience listening fatigue with that combo, even though I turn the volume up quite high. Comparing whatever graphs I can find online of the frequency response of the 595 and the 580X, I'm assuming it's the bump at 5-6k that make the latter a bit more fatiguing. I have no empirical data to prove any differences, though. Wish I had measuring gear to test/verify.

I'm not sure my opinion is of much worth to anyone. I've never listened to a studio setup and probably never listened to a transparent setup either. And I've always preferred a muted upper mid/lower treble. The comfort of my eardrums is the very important to me. If I had only known their frequency response :D
i've got the same setup but i don't know how to tell if it lacks power in low gain mode... it is impossible, try some bass heavy music when headphones need it a lot... no distrotion nor anything else

btw i've got one and only power off from the day i've recieved the unit in the end of december ~~~

agjell

Forum Donor
i've got the same setup but i don't know how to tell if it lacks power in low gain mode... it is impossible, try some bass heavy music when headphones need it a lot... no distrotion nor anything else
I just mean that some times I want to turn the volume past 0 db, and then I have to switch to high gain.

@agjell Welcome to the forum.
The frequency response of your headphones can be corrected with an equalizer. I recommend Equalizer APO + Peace GUI if you're using Windows.
Thank you! I was actually checking out that exact combination right after I posted. Will try it out this weekend :)

JASM

I'm completely new to 1) hifi audio and 2) this forum. Regardless, thank you all for putting so much of your time in reviews, comparisons, help, etc. I've been looking for a DAC/Amp combo for under $200, which eventually led me here.

The DX3 Pro sounds like it's a great DAC with headphone amp. It has everything I could want. However, I'm hesitant because of all the problems people have been having. However, since following this thread I found this seller saying they have a March 06 improved version (link here). Not sure. I send them a message to see what they reply with.

Update V1: I just heard back from that store. I will paste below.
HI
It is now the latest version.
There will be a batch of the latest goods coming from the factory tomorrow.
But the manufacturer did not tell us what problems were fixed.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Yeah, I switch between headphones (hd600) and line out all the time. I have not had any issues with amp itself (pops, hisses, broken channels) but then again those seem to happen with low impedance headphones I think, which I don't use.
My few cents, seems all the standby issues are linked to the headphone amp circuitry. For some reason at times the Microproc doesnt like the impedance of the headphone amp [Though occurs occasionally], which in-turn fails to assert the Voltage on for the analog circuitary. Hope the Topping guys have a solution for this...!

Paul123355

Have the same question about improves version as of 6 of March 2019. Can see it on the AliExpress sellers. Does anybody know if dx 3 pro have the same issues? Anybody purchased recently? It seems like very good amp/dac for the price. Currently choosing between aune x1s and dx3 pro.

Veri

Master Contributor
Have the same question about improves version as of 6 of March 2019. Can see it on the AliExpress sellers. Does anybody know if dx 3 pro have the same issues? Anybody purchased recently? It seems like very good amp/dac for the price. Currently choosing between aune x1s and dx3 pro.

Both seem fine choices. I think either would do as long as you get a good warranty.

azxswq

I'm completely new to 1) hifi audio and 2) this forum. Regardless, thank you all for putting so much of your time in reviews, comparisons, help, etc. I've been looking for a DAC/Amp combo for under $200, which eventually led me here.

The DX3 Pro sounds like it's a great DAC with headphone amp. It has everything I could want. However, I'm hesitant because of all the problems people have been having. However, since following this thread I found this seller saying they have a March 06 improved version (link here). Not sure. I send them a message to see what they reply with.

What do you all think?
I'd say go for it.
I got mine from massdrop and it works fine.
it had 1.04 installed and for windows 10, I got the new driver.

working really well.

ngs428

What do you all think?

It may have everything you may want, but what do you really need? A more reliable combo may be the JDS Labs Atom amp with the Topping D10 or Khadas Tone Board. Do some research on those and see what interests you. My thought.

Edit: I see you posted in the $200 thread. You are on the right track. I have the Atom + Tone Board and love it. Full disclosure, I had the DX3Pro and returned it before I experienced any of the issues..

Last edited:

Walkerboh

Hi
I'm also an owner of the dx3pro. I've had my unit for about 2 months now. Serial number starts with 1812... I've had it turning off twice by itself but I could turn it back on right away and other than that I've really enjoyed using it. And I've also been screening this thread for any updates on the units' failing issue.

My setup is PC -> Dx3pro -> HD 58X. After reading about the stellar performance of the JDS Atom I've recently purchased one and am waiting for it to ship. Do you think that it will make any difference adding it to my setup? I think I read somewhere that the dx3pro's performance was so good because it was tested as a whole (dac and amp) unit and adding another unit into my setup could be detrimental to it? Thank you in advance on any opinions and thoughts :)

kukocz

Forum Donor
Hello all,

Today is sad Saturday. Right channel in headphone out of my DX3 Pro is dead. Here's the story...
I've been using DX3 Pro mainly as a preamp for my amplifier (usign RCA output). Headphone output was used rarely. Today I wanted to test headphone output (to check if there is the difference between the RCA) and during these tests suddenly a pop sound in right channel appeard. RCA output was (and still) working well but a pop is hearable when source or sample rate is changed (every time a relay pops, a loud pop is coming from right channel).
I left device without power for a while, restored to defaults and even re-flashed - nothing helped. Then I connected headphones to check if the same click sound is hearable in right channel. It turned out that the right channel for the headphones output is dead. In addition, every time I plug headphones to the jack - DX3 Pro is restarting. Production date of mine is 1808.

I'm really dissapointed. I bought mine in Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on Aliexpress. Has anyone got a refund (a new unit) from Topping or Aliexpress seller? I'm not sure to whom I should contact first.

Papa Pewlew

Topping d50 + atom or just Dx3 Pro? Will be used mainly for fostex T50RP MK3 and some gaming with Sennheiser GSP500.

Veri

Master Contributor
Topping d50 + atom or just Dx3 Pro? Will be used mainly for fostex T50RP MK3 and some gaming with Sennheiser GSP500.
I'd say maybe Atom stack although if the DX3 is revised for less % failure it is sure the best all in one you can get.

nebula

Just had my 5th or 6th shutdown, the first one since disabling standby mode a month ago. A bit disappointed since I thought this would have fixed it, guess I'll be trying to get a replacement after all. Anyone gone through the process yet?

noel_fs

Hello all,

Today is sad Saturday. Right channel in headphone out of my DX3 Pro is dead. Here's the story...
I've been using DX3 Pro mainly as a preamp for my amplifier (usign RCA output). Headphone output was used rarely. Today I wanted to test headphone output (to check if there is the difference between the RCA) and during these tests suddenly a pop sound in right channel appeard. RCA output was (and still) working well but a pop is hearable when source or sample rate is changed (every time a relay pops, a loud pop is coming from right channel).
I left device without power for a while, restored to defaults and even re-flashed - nothing helped. Then I connected headphones to check if the same click sound is hearable in right channel. It turned out that the right channel for the headphones output is dead. In addition, every time I plug headphones to the jack - DX3 Pro is restarting. Production date of mine is 1808.

I'm really dissapointed. I bought mine in Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on Aliexpress. Has anyone got a refund (a new unit) from Topping or Aliexpress seller? I'm not sure to whom I should contact first.
Contact aliexpress seller first

noel_fs

Just had my 5th or 6th shutdown, the first one since disabling standby mode a month ago. A bit disappointed since I thought this would have fixed it, guess I'll be trying to get a replacement after all. Anyone gone through the process yet?
do you get the shutdown whhile doing browsing+music player in the background?

aka_Z

Anyone having audible clicks coming from the power line? Sometimes those clicks are very loud. For example turning on/off some inductive appliance. I've checked power monitors without DX3Pro, no clicks, left audio cables connected to the power monitors but not to DX3Pro, no clicks. Disconnected all inputs to DX3Pro, left connection to power monitors, clicks are audible... So, definitely is DX3Pro.

nebula

do you get the shutdown whhile doing browsing+music player in the background?
This time, nothing was actually playing at the time. Web browser and Spotify were both running, but no audio was being played.
On the other occasions I don't remember what I was doing since they happened so far apart, but during at least one of them, music was playing either from browser or foobar.

Wolven

Anyone having audible clicks coming from the power line? Sometimes those clicks are very loud. For example turning on/off some inductive appliance. I've checked power monitors without DX3Pro, no clicks, left audio cables connected to the power monitors but not to DX3Pro, no clicks. Disconnected all inputs to DX3Pro, left connection to power monitors, clicks are audible... So, definitely is DX3Pro.

I have experienced some interference with my power monitors and have traced it to DX3pro too, it comes and goes. I don't know why it has started to happen. Basically, it sounds like interference of the kind you would get if you put a phone or antenna next to an unshielded speaker.
This thing is an antenna of sorts, (non scientific description).

Top Bottom