• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

archangel015

Hello. I have a question, do i need an amp to use the dac part of this? or the sound goes through the dac then amp within already? Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this :D

Yuno

Hello. I have a question, do i need an amp to use the dac part of this? or the sound goes through the dac then amp within already? Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this :D

It's all in one unit, all you need is usb cable to connect to PC (included) and headphones.

Keltere

noel_fs

"it will develope too much distortion"
Thats my point, you cant really EQ headphones to sound better, you can tweak some cases to like them better, I just think that there is a myth of creating golden headphones by EQing. Im betting that if you'd measure them they would get worse results despite that you like more how they sound.

Im curious about what you said of the track, I have hd580 so I think it could be interesting

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@noel_fs,
Will take some REW measurements before and after EQ and lets see how they look then for HD650, its late here so will not publish before tommorrow.

Will be happy share some short convoluted piece of a track with and without EQ but for such test its very important you either have a HD650 set or can borrow one for test scenario, because using HD580 with my HD650 EQ there will probably be relative huge response difference.

mikehoopes

Thats my point, you cant really EQ headphones to sound better, you can tweak some cases to like them better, I just think that there is a myth of creating golden headphones by EQing. Im betting that if you'd measure them they would get worse results despite that you like more how they sound.

Im curious about what you said of the track, I have hd580 so I think it could be interesting
It’s mostly true that you can’t cure harmonic or intermodular distortion, or turn a Fidelio into an Elear with EQ, but you can compensate a lot of tuning issues.

mik

In case it was already mentioned, please forgive me for not reading all 134 pages of this thread ;)

Has anyone tried this with a fostex t50rp mk3? I like the features of the dx3 and I'm hoping to use it to drive a ZMF classic mod. What do you think; will this have enough power? If not I think I'm leaning towards an atom or liquid spark.

noel_fs

In case it was already mentioned, please forgive me for not reading all 134 pages of this thread ;)

Has anyone tried this with a fostex t50rp mk3? I like the features of the dx3 and I'm hoping to use it to drive a ZMF classic mod. What do you think; will this have enough power? If not I think I'm leaning towards an atom or liquid spark.
Yes, it has more and clean power than spark iirc

Veri

Master Contributor

Atom has more power. Depending on how modded the fostex are (which can make them even more insensitive), the DX3 in high gain might pull it off though. An all-in-one unit is also extra neat/compact/easy on your desk.

Saulius

At last i try it out my self, and i can say i am very satisfied with this dx3 dac/preamp ,just strange that i cant hear difference in quality playing between Bluetooth via phone , optical connection straight thru media player and USB thru laptop (all playing spotify) could this be because BT is very high quality or just DAC do its best job and all connections? :rolleyes:

Video:

hxg

TL:DR Version:

Try the HiFi Man Sundara's unless you love that crystal treble sound or use them more for gaming than anything else.

Full Version
I love the pairing, although I don't have much to compare it too (FiiO E10K, Modi Multibit combo). I like a lot of crisp and crystalline treble with clean, detailed and fast punchy base and these fit that need perfectly (can't stand boom). They're extremely energetic. Some would probably like a warmer sound. I had Sundara's before which were phenomenal for everything except PC gaming, which I do a lot so I switched to DT1990's during the return period after comparing them both at the same time. I can't imagine the 1990's being for everyone. If music listening is priority number 1 then the Sundara's were better with most genres. Soundstage was way better, they almost sounded like you were listening to nice speakers instead of headphones. Would have kept them except for gaming they sounded very flat and lacking energy compared to the 1990's. One comparison involved a firework in the distance in FF15. Sounds that had a good distant thump on the 1990s like in real life didn't have any thump on the Sundara's for some reason. But if I could have afforded to keep them both I would have.

Compared to the modi multi bit combo I had before, the DX3 Pro is perfect for me as it's extremely crisp and detailed with a better soundstage and something I could only describe as slightly silky instead of slightly grainy. The FIIO sucked imo and dac alone was even worse. While the multibit was better than the FIIO overall, I thought I may have wasted money on expensive headphones (over $700 in Canada) as the clarity, detail, snappy base and energy all the reviewers were talking about wasn't there. It sounded good but often a bit muffled or compressed in fact and I bought the 1990s for detail and clarity. This may sound weird but I was a bit upset that my S9 with cheap stock earbuds sometimes felt like it produced a more enjoyable sound, at least for netflix. With the DX3 it sounds like I upgraded my headphones. I'm truly amazed by how good some tracks sound.

Warning however, my 1990s now make obvious EVERY flaw in a recording and expose low quality studio work. I thought my DX3 Pro or 1990's were defective at first as I'd here occasional clicks, noise, deep base static and other weird sounds behind the music on many Tidal songs. I then went and played the same songs on my Surface Pro with the 1990s to eliminate the DX3 Pro as the culprit, still there but more faint. Then some earbuds to see if it was the headphones, I could make out the same weird sounds at the same spots on tracks but they were MUCH more faint so I'm assuming I just never heard them before despite being there. I think most modern popular music has a lot of "tuning" and post production involved which can produce sound defects which you wouldn't normally hear unless with revealing headphones/dac/amp. I can certainly now tell a quality producer from a less conscientious one but I guess 1990's were designed for studio work first and foremost. Maybe more producers should get a pair:) A lot of mistakes in modern music production. I also think they're absolutely amazing for gaming, the imaging is amazing and they're also great for music as well, but you can get better sounding headphones for most genres of music I think. Build quality of the DT1990s made the Sundara's feel fragile in comparison. It's built like a tank with not weak spots. The Sundara's looked like the joints for the cups wouldn't last the test of time.

If you have a headphone store near you, I'd just try out a bunch as sound signatures are so much personal preference as opposed to objective quality (once lack of clarity and boom is eliminated). IMO diminishing returns accelerates rapidly past $250.
TL:DR Version:

Try the HiFi Man Sundara's unless you love that crystal treble sound or use them more for gaming than anything else.

Full Version
I love the pairing, although I don't have much to compare it too (FiiO E10K, Modi Multibit combo). I like a lot of crisp and crystalline treble with clean, detailed and fast punchy base and these fit that need perfectly (can't stand boom). They're extremely energetic. Some would probably like a warmer sound. I had Sundara's before which were phenomenal for everything except PC gaming, which I do a lot so I switched to DT1990's during the return period after comparing them both at the same time. I can't imagine the 1990's being for everyone. If music listening is priority number 1 then the Sundara's were better with most genres. Soundstage was way better, they almost sounded like you were listening to nice speakers instead of headphones. Would have kept them except for gaming they sounded very flat and lacking energy compared to the 1990's. One comparison involved a firework in the distance in FF15. Sounds that had a good distant thump on the 1990s like in real life didn't have any thump on the Sundara's for some reason. But if I could have afforded to keep them both I would have.

Compared to the modi multi bit combo I had before, the DX3 Pro is perfect for me as it's extremely crisp and detailed with a better soundstage and something I could only describe as slightly silky instead of slightly grainy. The FIIO sucked imo and dac alone was even worse. While the multibit was better than the FIIO overall, I thought I may have wasted money on expensive headphones (over $700 in Canada) as the clarity, detail, snappy base and energy all the reviewers were talking about wasn't there. It sounded good but often a bit muffled or compressed in fact and I bought the 1990s for detail and clarity. This may sound weird but I was a bit upset that my S9 with cheap stock earbuds sometimes felt like it produced a more enjoyable sound, at least for netflix. With the DX3 it sounds like I upgraded my headphones. I'm truly amazed by how good some tracks sound.

Warning however, my 1990s now make obvious EVERY flaw in a recording and expose low quality studio work. I thought my DX3 Pro or 1990's were defective at first as I'd here occasional clicks, noise, deep base static and other weird sounds behind the music on many Tidal songs. I then went and played the same songs on my Surface Pro with the 1990s to eliminate the DX3 Pro as the culprit, still there but more faint. Then some earbuds to see if it was the headphones, I could make out the same weird sounds at the same spots on tracks but they were MUCH more faint so I'm assuming I just never heard them before despite being there. I think most modern popular music has a lot of "tuning" and post production involved which can produce sound defects which you wouldn't normally hear unless with revealing headphones/dac/amp. I can certainly now tell a quality producer from a less conscientious one but I guess 1990's were designed for studio work first and foremost. Maybe more producers should get a pair:) A lot of mistakes in modern music production. I also think they're absolutely amazing for gaming, the imaging is amazing and they're also great for music as well, but you can get better sounding headphones for most genres of music I think. Build quality of the DT1990s made the Sundara's feel fragile in comparison. It's built like a tank with not weak spots. The Sundara's looked like the joints for the cups wouldn't last the test of time.

If you have a headphone store near you, I'd just try out a bunch as sound signatures are so much personal preference as opposed to objective quality (once lack of clarity and boom is eliminated). IMO diminishing returns accelerates rapidly past $250.
Very appreciate for your detailed introduction of dx3pro and dt1990pro.I will go to the headphone store to try some headphones

pacman

At last i try it out my self, and i can say i am very satisfied with this dx3 dac/preamp ,just strange that i cant hear difference in quality playing between Bluetooth via phone , optical connection straight thru media player and USB thru laptop (all playing spotify) could this be because BT is very high quality or just DAC do its best job and all connections? :rolleyes:

Video:
No, bluetooth is shit and so is Spotify, you're limitating your system using lossy stream

lystor

I see, I have also connected it through toslink, will that make any difference or which is better?
Toslink is better due to the absence of any possible noise / hum from USB.

Last edited:

lystor

No, bluetooth is shit
I disagree.
Imho, it is impossible to pass A/B test between bluetooth (aptX HD or even SBC codec) and Toslink / USB.

lystor

What do you think; will this have enough power?
I have bought both DX3 Pro and Atom and received them recently.
I tested Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro with DX3 Pro in Headphone mode and with DX3 Pro + Atom in DAC mode.
I didn't see any significant improvement in DX3 Pro + Atom combo.
So I decided to sell Atom.
I really hate its ugly volume knob and cheap plastic case.
Also JDS sent me broken power supply:
DSC04101.jpg

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@noel_fs,

DSP engine is 64bit JRiver v23 and SPL set around 83-86dB area, EQ is Sonarworks Ref 4 64bit VST plugin plus my own preference subtle touch of EQ, that Sonarworks EQ work is as far as i know based on a avarage of all their measured HD650 cans, if one wants it even better than that then one can send them ones cans and get back a dedicated correction profile. Output chain used is year 2010 Dell i3 laptop Win7/JRiver 64bit v23/USB buss Khadas TB DAC/Neurochrome HP-1/HD650 and input chain is USB buss miniDSP EARS. Using Sonarworks plugin is to have some base reference about a pro acoustic head phone EQ target because curves that miniDSP EARS spit out either raw or calibrated looks weird compared to how flat text book targets in a electrical or acoustic speaker domain will look like. For example have a cheap pair of OB-1 from Status Audio that is not supported yet into Sonarworks package, but it gets very close to HD650 sound if one divide its raw response with HD650 raw response to get a difference EQ profile.

1000d.png

kprog

I have bought both DX3 Pro and Atom and received them recently.
I tested Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro with DX3 Pro in Headphone mode and with DX3 Pro + Atom in DAC mode.
I didn't see any significant improvement in DX3 Pro + Atom combo.
So I decided to sell Atom.
I really hate its ugly volume knob and cheap plastic case.
Also JDS sent me broken power supply:
View attachment 21668
did not you have more power with Atom?

Top Bottom