• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Cidious

NO! You and others are filling this forum with believes (bullshit) from the subjective fooling of yourself. The biggest problem is that you mix lies with truths so for a non-expert it is impossible to know. Come back when you have done a true A/B blindtest. I never ever believe anyone who has not doing blind-tests and no-one never ever should believe them.

We who have participated in blind testing of different audio stuff have learned to know ourselves, by first thinking that we could hear differents but suddenly when doing the A/B blind tests, we realized how our brains fooled ourselves. So please beware us of spreading your own fooling hear in this forum.

I know you are honestly thinking that you can hear, but please learn to know yourselves better, and this is done by true blind testing and with repeated tests so you can see statistical proof of what you really hear.

My tip is, that you for example with the 2 units you are comparing, in an A/B-test, connect exactly same looking output cables so you cannot se any differences between them. Twist them, so you cannot se which is connected to what unit, and connect to the two inputs of your A/B switching device or pre amplifier. The devices under test shall be feed with the same source and so you get exact the same volume levels in your ears. Then start switching between them and try to hear which is better or different. Then check what unit you selected "as better" and note it. Then disconnect and mix cables again and connect and repeat this at least 5 times to know that you got a statistical reliable result and didn't judge right by chance.

Yes I know that people with no self criticism will not accept this, because they think they have gold ears, and have put themselves on a high pedestal.
Thank you,
Cheers /Per

I had typed a nice post for you.. but you're not worth the time. I'd advise you to actually contribute something instead of nagging.

As for the A/B testing.

I have two DX3 Pro units. 1 completely original as a reference and 1 modified to experiment on. My setup is same cables same PSU and fast switching between outputs on Foobar2000. Faster than that I can't make it... And more objective. I don't have the measurement equipment. But I do recognise if a bass is thin and underpowered or full and deep... it's not hard to register... It's really not hard to accept that fact.. but some people just like to live narrow right.

Have a good day with your hobby of knowing it all and finding posts to nag on.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had typed a nice post for you.. but you're not worth the time. I'd advise you to actually contribute something instead of nagging.

As for the A/B testing.

I have two DX3 Pro units. 1 completely original as a reference and 1 modified to experiment on. My setup is same cables same PSU and fast switching between outputs on Foobar2000. Faster than that I can't make it... And more objective. I don't have the measurement equipment. But I do recognise if a bass is thin and underpowered or full and deep... it's not hard to register... It's really not hard to accept that fact.. but some people just like to live narrow right.

"It's not hard to register" "the difference is obvious" is the same-same audio speak as on all other forums. Hard to take serious.

Stonetown

As for the A/B testing.

When people intentionally lie, it is really bad...

Cidious

and there we go. A guy complaining about other posting stuff without proper backing up the post.. and there you go.. can't back it up. You don't think I have two devices? or what? browse back please.. and read my posts including photos...

You're hopeless man.. all you can do is negative and hang around. I'm waiting for your contribution other than negativity. have something to show for. I posted my stuff. Tried to help people whenever I could. What have you done so far?

I rest my case. You must be unhappy with life.
WeChat Image_20190202211206.jpg

Last edited:

Stonetown

and there we go. A guy complaining about other posting stuff without proper backing up the post.. and there you go.. can't back it up. You don't think I have two devices? or what? browse back please.. and read my posts including photos...

You're hopeless man.. all you can do is negative and hang around. I'm waiting for your contribution other than negativity. have something to show for. I posted my stuff. Tried to help people whenever I could. What have you done so far?

I rest my case. You must be unhappy with life.
View attachment 21233
But you are claiming that you hear things that are impossible for a human ear to hear, and that proves you are a liar, or have not realized that you are fooling yourself by not doing proper statistical blind tests. It is obvious for us that understand. You can of course state things that cannot be proved but it is ridiculous that you don't have the self criticism, or it might be that you have put you to high on the pedestal and the fall will be too hard. Shame you. But there are plenty of these people like you around polluting the forums. We are not surprised.
Cheers,
Per

Last edited:

Stonetown

But with my last posts I don't say that the modifications are bad. I am only lifting the issue that audiophiles thinking and claiming they hear impossible things. Modifications, especially with lower ESR capacitors and different groundings can help things up but it has to be measured. Referring to what I mentioned before: It feels good that the devices have good margins in their specifications compared to the specifications of our own ears. So it will be very interesting to see if any of the mods has been successful when looking into measurements, maybe made by Amir here :)
Cheers /Per

Cidious

Read my posts. I never claimed such things. Except when I rolled OPAMPS.. an ACTIVE component! And changing value size on dac output caps.

Other than that. A switching supply that can't provide enough grunt to drive some headphones against one that can is easy to spot too..

You're just full it man... you're trying to make a point but haven't got your facts straight...

As for my pedestal? again a foolish assumption of you. I'm defending not myself but I'm standing for the fact that people were trying to contribute here and people like you barge in and don't come with suggestions how to improve things but just with a shitload of negativity without ANY contribution of your own! you're empty.. your posts are empty.. and you pretend to be lord almighty telling how it all should be done.

I'm just a hobbyist.. I have no intentions of reinventing the wheel or finding the holy grail in audio electronic land.. I'm just a guy that has a spring festival project and tried to share my findings here and help out where I can.. it's a called a community.. you can try it.

Can you be real a bit? you are the one on the pedestal... feeling superior in your thinking over others.. and telling others how to do and how to post.. you're delusional...

pejakovic1

Sincerely I think people are buying Meanwell power supplies because of it's quality rather than hearing audible differences. The stock one I got didn't give me a sense of insurance. Also the Meanwell reduced the buzzing coming from my speakers which is caused by the ground loop which atm I can't fix.

Cidious

Sincerely I think people are buying Meanwell power supplies because of it's quality rather than hearing audible differences. The stock one I got didn't give me a sense of insurance. Also the Meanwell reduced the buzzing coming from my speakers which is caused by the ground loop which atm I can't fix.

Active speakers? What have you tried so far?

pejakovic1

Active speakers? What have you tried so far?
Well literally everything. Two outlets, same outlet, ground lifts... Yes active speakers. Only the unbalanced to balanced convertor totally removes the buzzing but converting RCA to XLR cuts the signal in half resulting in a volume drop. As these active speakers produce hiss when i turn their volume knob up i have to get as much volume from them before the hiss sets in. That is why i want to fix the buzzing. I might have some dirty AC in the house, moving soon, idk if the cable picks up interference along the way, i think not...

bboris77

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered one of these. I have been really wanting an all-in-one with an optical input and a decent headphone amp unit for a long while. I have to admit, I have been a little scared of all the posts where people talk about the issues. But then again, I have purchased a lot of Schiit products, and their products are also well-known for their glitches.

I was debating for a while between the black and sliver version of this product. Ended up ordering it in black since most of my equipment is black. Out of all the people that have had their units fail or experience random shutdowns, how many silver vs black units? I noticed that Amir's DX3Pro is black, and his has been flawless.

Cidious

Nothing to do with color. I have 3 different batches here. 1808 1812 1901 all have been working flawlessly. I do think a good PSU helps. I got a good PSU from the start and didn't run into any issues.

Topping themselves hinted on the switching supply maybe being the issue. I would look into getting a solid LPS and I think you'll be golden. I've been using and abusing my units daily.

maty

Major Contributor

Cidious

I think the PSUs above are a bit overkill... They cost more than the device itself..... A lot more...

Top Bottom