• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

simonchretien

Mine arrived about 7 weeks waiting. All kinds of distortion as the 2.5mm jack doesn't mate properly with the stock 2.5mm connector on my HE4xx. This is exasperating.

Oh sucks. About the 7 weeks, where did you order it and where do you live?
Got mine on ebay from szclever88, he's one of the official sellers, took 5 days from China to Canada (DHL express). That was the free shipping.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got mine on ebay from szclever88, he's one of the official sellers, took 5 days from China to Canada (DHL express). That was the free shipping.

Specialize Speaker.Store. Xmas holiday of course . I'm in Los Angeles. Typically I get AliExpress orders in 2-3 weeks.

gwertheim

I live in Toronto, did you get nailed on duties?

donald24

Do you think replacing the power brick would help for an unit that got stuck in standby mode?
Order the medical 15V/1.2A one from meanwell for 12 bucks. It will last forever maybe. I've replaced it only for safety, and please tell if the unit has come on back again!

Veri

Master Contributor
Order the medical 15V/1.2A one from meanwell for 12 bucks. It will last forever maybe. I've replaced it only for safety, and please tell if the unit has come on back again!
Problem is that one is 120V only for us poor euro folks :D

ascorbyl

I bought from the same guy. Insanely quick shipping. I believe it was shipped out of HK.

donald24

your proposal is a higher amp-rated one, the 1.2A is enough.
and these are accepting: 80 VAC to 264 VAC, - so no problem here...

Jimmy

Beware of cheap power supplies ratings. Sometimes the real power isn't even half as declared. These is one of the things manufacturers should never save too much on, but sadly they often do.

I own a monoprice desktop amp (the one similar to the FIIO E09K). I measured the included power supply and didn't find any obvious problems, but the unit didn't turn on most of the time. I replaced the power supply with a higher powered meanwell, and not only the startup problem dissapeared, but sound quality improved (less distortion, cleaner sound).

Not saying that this is the problem here, but if someone has a good compatible power supply just test it to see if anything improves.

donald24

look for
GEM18I15-P1J
and you might find a cheap reseller in your country.. and remember to always swap the power supply when buying cheap hardware from china.... Thanks, Jimmy, Meanwell has never put me down, the oldest device is 12V 5A that has been running my hole network infrastructure now for 10! years, and I always bought 12v devices in upgrading further on. And even the best, they are power-savers. Their efficiency is top-notch! Have a good one!

chrisliuboy

look for
GEM18I15-P1J
and you might find a cheap reseller in your country.. and remember to always swap the power supply when buying cheap hardware from china.... Thanks, Jimmy, Meanwell has never put me down, the oldest device is 12V 40A that has been running my hole network infrastructure now for 10! years, and I always bought 12v devices in upgrading further on. And even the best, they are power-savers. Their efficiency is top-notch! Have a good one!
Found one GS25U15-P1J on amazon, has even less ripple & noise than the medical one, but load % will drop to 70% compare to 80% of the medical one on 50c. But it's only $5 as the amazon addon-item.

MattG

For all the people having random shut downs, are you all on Windows? Are you plugged into a USB2 or USB3 socket?

Gathering up info like that helps with working out the potential causes? I never plug USB2 devices into USB3 sockets as 1) there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in doing so and 2) I've found quirky incompatibilities with devices that run perfectly in a USB2 socket and not when plugged into a USB3 socket.

It happened to me just the other day. Mine is connected to a Raspberry Pi (model 3 IIRC), which I believe is USB2 only. Running DietPi (Linux-based). I leave it playing music 24/7 in my office. It was playing one night, and when I got up in the morning, it was shut off. As soon as I powered it back on, the music came through (i.e. the RPI + player software was still running just fine).

I think this has only happened to me a couple times, and I got mine back in late November... I think I have a 15v PSU I can try with. Although, how long do I let it run before declaring the new power supply a success? It seems to happen about once a month currently.

bleachershane

It happened to me just the other day. Mine is connected to a Raspberry Pi (model 3 IIRC), which I believe is USB2 only. Running DietPi (Linux-based). I leave it playing music 24/7 in my office. It was playing one night, and when I got up in the morning, it was shut off. As soon as I powered it back on, the music came through (i.e. the RPI + player software was still running just fine).

I think this has only happened to me a couple times, and I got mine back in late November... I think I have a 15v PSU I can try with. Although, how long do I let it run before declaring the new power supply a success? It seems to happen about once a month currently.
These sort of intermittent fault scenarios are a nightmare to declare 'fixed', but I would certainly test an alternative PSU to see if there is any lessening of these switch off problems... trouble is I'd say two to three months of running free of issue would be enough to say the alternate PSU helped, especially when you're talking about a once a month fault!

ngs428

Mine arrived about 7 weeks waiting. All kinds of distortion as the 2.5mm jack doesn't mate properly with the stock 2.5mm connector on my HE4xx. This is exasperating.

I have the HE4XX too but with 3.5mm at the ear cups. I assume the 2.5mm you mention is the cups on the older version. I am not sure what you are referring to. The end of the cable should be 3.5mm that plugs into the DX3 pro.

haroharo

My unit just suddenly shut down while playing music in dac mode. It's 17 days old been using it on my desktop that I shutdown every night. It was plugged into a USB2 port. Mostly use it in dac mode maybe 2-3 hours a night in headphone mode.

gwertheim

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to buy a dx3 pro from Shenzhen audio just incase there is an issue?

Top Bottom