• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Klenfo

Has anyone compared dsd and pcm with this device? Does it make sense to use dsd format?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Has anyone compared dsd and pcm with this device? Does it make sense to use dsd format?
I wouldn't do any conversions to DSD. Just play them in native format.

Klenfo

Yeah, there are recordings of some albums in both pcm and new reissues in dsd. If they re-released in DSD, then they apparently pursued the goal of making the sound quality better or just sell the same thing the second time.
Native formats for both. Apparently it is necessary to look in each case.

Merkurio

Yesterday I played a Dvorak's DSD256 through foobar2000 with the DX3 Pro connected via USB and the same DSD256 track with my iPhone through VOX player (automatically converted to [email protected]) via BT with the DX3's receptor.

Both foobar2000 and iPhone at max volumes respectively.

I done A/B with the remote controller between outputs and both set-ups sounds EQUAL.

Mind blowing.

SiW

Yesterday I played a Dvorak's DSD256 through foobar2000 with the DX3 Pro connected via USB and the same DSD256 track with my iPhone through VOX player (automatically converted to [email protected]) via BT with the DX3's receptor.

I done A/B with the remote controller between outputs and both set-ups sounds EQUAL.

Mind blowing.

I found Onkyo HF player easier to use than Vox on the iPhone. Which do you prefer?

I noticed for PCM playback the Bluetooth quality was probably 95% there compared to usb connection from the iPhone. Just bits of the lower end didn’t seem quite as full but that was being very critical.

Merkurio

I found Onkyo HF player easier to use than Vox on the iPhone. Which do you prefer?

I noticed for PCM playback the Bluetooth quality was probably 95% there compared to usb connection from the iPhone. Just bits of the lower end didn’t seem quite as full but that was being very critical.

Unfortunately I didn't like the Onkyo Player GUI at all, that's why I'm primarily using Vox (plus it support every format I tried with it).

In a blind test I can't consistenly guess between native DSD and AAC compressed PCM of the same recording through BT, that's for sure.

SiW

Unfortunately I didn't like the Onkyo Player GUI at all, that's why I'm primarily using Vox (plus it support every format I tried with it).

In a blind test I can't consistenly guess between native DSD and AAC compressed PCM of the same recording through BT, that's for sure.

Cool - I found it the other way and didn’t like the Vox GUI!

Glad it’s not my old ears deceiving me with Bluetooth - on headphones it seems more than adequate and easier to control than having another cable!

bleachershane

Mind blowing.
Can I ask how you have got DSD native playback set up on Foobar as I cannot get it to happen, I was lead to believe you can get native DSD through WASAPI, but someone above says it must be ASIO?

If it must be ASIO, what drivers are people using for this and are they getting native playback with all other sample rates?

bleachershane

Cool - I found it the other way and didn’t like the Vox GUI!

Glad it’s not my old ears deceiving me with Bluetooth - on headphones it seems more than adequate and easier to control than having another cable!
I too was very surprised at how 'hi-fi' the Bluetooth sound is capable of. Also, astounding well matched volume-wise with identical files playing from USB/Coaxial.

Been using it a lot with optical feed from TV. I've never managed to run TV sound through an external processor with no delay, but the DX3 Pro is running with the TV speakers in combination with my stereo setup with absolutely no phasing/echo/delay.

milus

Can I ask how you have got DSD native playback set up on Foobar as I cannot get it to happen, I was lead to believe you can get native DSD through WASAPI, but someone above says it must be ASIO?

If it must be ASIO, what drivers are people using for this and are they getting native playback with all other sample rates?

Hi!
First time here.
I have not tried to play any DSD files (don't have any), though in folder 3.DSD Configuration Guide (from DX3Pro Manuals and Driver download) explains how to do it for Foobar2000 (and JRiver Player too)
You have to install ASIO driver and a couple of Foobar2000 components from folder 4.FB2K DSD Components.
I have installed all of them and they work fine with various FLAC and MP3's.

Hope this solves your problem.

Attachments

• The Settings of Foobar Player_EN.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 308

bleachershane

DSD WASAPI.jpg

Okay, after posting my comment about not getting DSD through WASAPI earlier I jumped back onto Foobar and on opening the Output/Device setting I found options I hadn't seen before and I'm certain they weren't there the first time I looked! DSD : WASAPI (event) or (push). I had previously been using the last WASAPI options on that list.

So finally I now get DSD seemingly native to the DAC.

One little strange thing I've noticed is this, Windows volume control is in effect with PCM playback through WASAPI (I leave Foobar at 0dB to ensure it passes through as is and use the DAC volume control). Windows volume control is disabled when DSD is played. I thought WASAPI was meant to bypass/disable Windows volume control?

Merkurio

Great, topping instruction and files for play DSD looks like obsolete.
Need use latest version of foo_input_sacd, and "DSD : WASAPI" and "DSD : ASIO" items appears in the list. And it's not need use asio proxy

I use this as well, foo_input_sacd 1.1.0 and ASIO support 2.1.2, absolute no need for ASIO Proxy.

However, for truly native DSD output you must need a component called DSDTranscoder, otherwise you only get DoP (DSD over PCM).

See Mode 2 of this guide for more info:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/

For what is worth, I can't tell the diference between native DSD playback, DoP or even DSD conversion to PCM (hell, neither the PCM conversion passing through BT with the Apple's AAC codec, as I stated before). But that's your bussiness.

I find myself using foobar2000 just for a couple of ISO SACDs recordings that I have, other than that, I much prefer MusicBee that also supports DoP playback though ASIO and has a LOT better GUI than foobar with plenty of options too.

Klenfo

However, for truly native DSD output you must need a component called DSDTranscoder, otherwise you only get DoP (DSD over PCM)
When I use .dsf files w/o DSDTranscoder - I see "DSD" on the devise's screen. As I can understand the device is DoP-compatible DAC. And we can say that it is native.

Veri

Master Contributor
When I use .dsf files w/o DSDTranscoder - I see "DSD" on the devise's screen. As I can understand the device is DoP-compatible DAC. And we can say that it is native.

Note that DoP (DSD over PCM) uses more bandwidth than "native"/direct DSD. It's theoretically more performant in terms of data to transfer, less possibility of bugs/stutter via native DSD. But honestly at DSD64/DSD128 it probably doesn't matter at all.

pejakovic1

Hey, I just bought Adam T5V speakers, they have this unbalanced RCA input and balanced XLR, so when connecting from Topping RCA to Adam's RCA I get a huge amount of noise. When tested in the studio with XLR to XLR there was no noise. Any advice?

pauze

Whenever I switch sample rate by choosing new track at higher or lower rate, it goes silent

I'm on a Galaxy S7 Edge and I've just tested switching between a bunch of tracks varying from 44.1 to 176 and had no issues, so maybe check your UAPP settings. The only thing I have checked on the USB Tweaks settings is "Use USB DAC." Make sure bitperfect is always on, turn off upsampling, and make the sample rate unlimited in the USB Audio settings.

Top Bottom