• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

THW

Forum Donor
You have the updated one already?

Yeah someone posted the link to the firmware update quite recently in this thread, it’s a few pages back

Wolven

Question guys. I noticed that going from 16bit to 24bit there is no click.
Is it because DX3pro changes everything to 32bits?
So, that even when using WASAPI all the native 16bit and 24bit files are automatically changed to 32bits?

THW

Forum Donor
I only see the link on page 64...

my memory isn’t that great when it comes to this sort of thing lol

but yeah thanks for pointing out the correct page number

kukocz

Forum Donor
I'm wondering when Topping's webpage will be officially updated. Changelog details could be interesting.

Klenfo

No more extra clicking via USB with new firmware. And it's great.
But Bluetooth keeps clicking every play/pause. I guess it's required another one new firmware in the future

Veri

Master Contributor
So, that even when using WASAPI all the native 16bit and 24bit files are automatically changed to 32bits?
'Changing' to higher bit is just padding. Lossless.

Lowered bits need dithering.

Wolven

'Changing' to higher bit is just padding. Lossless.

Lowered bits need dithering.

Yes, I know it is just padding. So, is that what DX3pro is doing?
As for dithering, will have to read about it. :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, I know it is just padding. So, is that what DX3pro is doing?

Since there is no click as you say, that can be assumed. The DAC always operates in the same bit depth mode. However I would not worry, as you can see in amir's measurements in 24-bit mode the performance is stellar (even if it is padded to 32-bit internally). Such an easy operation should not be an issue for a DAC chip (schiit only recently learned how to dither though lol...)

Sangram

No more extra clicking via USB with new firmware. And it's great.
But Bluetooth keeps clicking every play/pause. I guess it's required another one new firmware in the future

The driver (what is being called firmware but not actually so) does not control Bluetooth, only USB input - it's a Thesycon software for the XMOS chip. The clicking with Bluetooth cannot be solved with driver, it will remain unless there is some kind of actual firmware change (i.e hardware revision). In BT mode my unit clicks on and off continuously unless something is playing, and you do get a slight pop through the speaker when this happens. Very irritating, though I don't use BT it still should have been complete.

I also don't understand the 0dB level when the unit is set to fixed output. In almost every kind of device that has this volume bypass, it is accessed by a specific combination of buttons so that an accidental keypress does not result in deafness or equipment damage. A simple way to implement this would be to mute the output the moment fixed level is set, so user can bring it out of mute manually or change the mode back to where it was. The normal operating method should be both outputs active and set to variable level, and fixed level requires a little more user intervention.

There are other issues - the use of tantalum capacitors in the series signal path for one, most likely the cause of the pop as they look unterminated. Normally you would directly connect the outputs to the LPF and the summing function would automatically remove offset. That is a very basic design error, and I don't know if it's Topping or AKM that is responsible for this issue. Frankly I don't care for the bumpy implementation, the unit sounds good enough for the price and that's about it. I would really hesitate to recommend it to anyone given its numerous problems. I had purchased the SMSL SK10 and this together and the SMSL is a winner at its price, this one not so much.

kukocz

Forum Donor
The driver (what is being called firmware but not actually so) does not control Bluetooth, only USB input - it's a Thesycon software for the XMOS chip. The clicking with Bluetooth cannot be solved with driver, it will remain unless there is some kind of actual firmware change (i.e hardware revision). In BT mode my unit clicks on and off continuously unless something is playing, and you do get a slight pop through the speaker when this happens. Very irritating, though I don't use BT it still should have been complete.

I also don't understand the 0dB level when the unit is set to fixed output. In almost every kind of device that has this volume bypass, it is accessed by a specific combination of buttons so that an accidental keypress does not result in deafness or equipment damage. A simple way to implement this would be to mute the output the moment fixed level is set, so user can bring it out of mute manually or change the mode back to where it was. The normal operating method should be both outputs active and set to variable level, and fixed level requires a little more user intervention.

There are other issues - the use of tantalum capacitors in the series signal path for one, most likely the cause of the pop as they look unterminated. Normally you would directly connect the outputs to the LPF and the summing function would automatically remove offset. That is a very basic design error, and I don't know if it's Topping or AKM that is responsible for this issue. Frankly I don't care for the bumpy implementation, the unit sounds good enough for the price and that's about it. I would really hesitate to recommend it to anyone given its numerous problems. I had purchased the SMSL SK10 and this together and the SMSL is a winner at its price, this one not so much.
Looking at measurements of SK10, these are not making it a winner of anything.

Sangram

Measurements

1) do not tell the whole product story. Usability and ergonomics have as much of an impact on a product's total value.

2) for that DAC are good for the price. The USB section is heavily limited by the power supply, using a separate power supply (I have my own take on a USB linear power injector) fixes it completely. There is an update in the thread which you may want to read, though frankly I am coming across the measurements just now. I had the power injector in use from day 1, as that's my natural instinct.

This thread is not for that product though, so let's keep clutter out.

Toku

Major Contributor
I went through the 16bit / 24bit / 32bit switching test many times, but with the bit rate change, the click is not.
Both ASIO and WASAPI do not click.
Clicking occurs only when switching to a song with a different sample rate.
For USB connection, the bit rate is output as it is.

However, in DSD, clicking occurs when switching songs regardless of sample rate.

Yuno

Just installed on mine. Works perfectly now. I uninstalled topping driver after flashing of firmware was done and everything still works correctly with default windows 10 driver.
Great to see that topping delivered. It's a bit of a shame that this is not how the unit was on day 1, but at least we have it finally. And I can now put my old soundcard back to box. It served well as spdif transport though.

mikehoopes

And that, my friends, is why Schiit Audio developed their own in-house USB solution (not yet released into the wild), so that they could escape the issues that 3rd-party firmware solutions may present. I hope theirs works out ok.

Top Bottom