• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Barce

So in the end HD6XX would need high gain switched on for the amp to do the trick? If you were using 6xx exclusively with this thing would you be satisfied? I perhaps wrongly have a fear of high gain ruining the accuracy.
The DX3Pro would run a 6XX perfectly fine on low gain. High gain doesn't "ruin accuracy", it's that the upper limits of HG output in devices are more prone to approaching audible distortion. That's why there are graphs comparing a device's various output levels that Amir also helpfully comments on.

I bought one from the Aliexpress Aoshida storefront in its 11/11 sale debut and it was delivered within 3 weeks. They declared full value on the package, but sometimes Chinese retailers won't and you save big on sales tax and import fees.

Last edited:

jsheard

I bought one from the Aoshida store in its 11/11 sale debut and it was delivered within 3 weeks. They declared full value though, but sometimes Chinese retailers won't and you save big on sales tax and import fees.

That's weird, I also got mine from Aoshida on 11/11 and they declared the value as $30 without me asking them to.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So in the end HD6XX would need high gain switched on for the amp to do the trick? If you were using 6xx exclusively with this thing would you be satisfied? I perhaps wrongly have a fear of high gain ruining the accuracy.

If you read the measurements and review, the conclusion was that in the DX3PRO, even in high gain, distortion was low and below the audible threshold, even with volume at max. Low gain generally measures better, but both low and high have such low distortion as to be inaudible.
Bottom line, if you like the additional volume high gain gives you, there is no reason not to use it.
I also use this with the HD6XX and find high gain very much needed for my listening preferences.

ILovePhonon

Hi friends, I got a message from Aoshida Hifi today: a new firmware for Topping DX3 Pro, Version 1.04, have been released. Hopefully this will mitigate some of the clicks you have been experiencing.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor

mikehoopes

If you read the measurements and review, the conclusion was that in the DX3PRO, even in high gain, distortion was low and below the audible threshold, even with volume at max. Low gain generally measures better, but both low and high have such low distortion as to be inaudible.
Bottom line, if you like the additional volume high gain gives you, there is no reason not to use it.
I also use this with the HD6XX and find high gain very much needed for my listening preferences.
I don’t need it otherwise, but I’m using high gain to keep the relative volume level closer between the HP and LINE OUT modes.

Can’t compensate for BT: it’s louder than the USB input, and I’m loath to reduce source volume on my phone (objective performance and all).

Sin Hizer

Thank you for the information.
I updated the firmware immediately.
But I do not know what has changed.

(I ordered the second DX3 Pro of Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store to AliExpress 11.11, but DX3 Pro will not reach after 36 days. I asked them about shipping, but they are totally unkind as they are just excuses. I applied for a refund to AliExpress.)

Did the clicks stop?

THW

Forum Donor
Brief testing on my side indicates no clicking sounds when pausing and playing tracks, dead silence when switching from Tidal to Google Chrome and then playing a YT video from there also, clicking sounds only occur when sampling rate is being changed

Wolven

So, new firmware installed. No more clicks. In Foobar using WASAPI, you can pause or stop without a click. With youtube you can stop change videos without a click as well. The only time the unit clicks when changing from 44.1kHz to 48.1kHz and so on. It does not click when switching form 16bit to 24bit.

Not sure if anything else was changed.

chrisliuboy

Brief testing on my side indicates no clicking sounds when pausing and playing tracks, dead silence when switching from Tidal to Google Chrome and then playing a YT video from there also, clicking sounds only occur when sampling rate is being changed
You will notice more later, trust me

Wolven

The clicks...Every time you start a YT video, freaking....

I set the USB topping driver to 24/44.1 for the shared mode under properties. (windows 7pro here)
So, even when switching from exclusive Wasapi mode, if my music is 16bit or 24bit /44.1kHz no clicks with youtube.
Not sure why your experience is different.

THW

Forum Donor
The clicks...Every time you start a YT video, freaking....

Did you actually update the firmware like I did?

Because I just did and whatever you mentioned about the clicking applies only before the firmware update, at least IME

Top Bottom