• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Wolven

not sure if it’s wise to spend only USD 150 on headphones when you’re paying something like USD 160-220 for the DX3, lol

if you ask me you shouldn’t spend more on source gear than transducers

Never mind I didn't read the entire response

Bigsy

How much should I be spending?
That is plenty enough to spend, a lot of people will put hd58x's in the same ballpark as hd660S (some suggest it is the same driver used and in the 700's), people even report preferring the jubilees. Honestly I would get them while massdrop still do them, they are an absolute bargain and sound fantastic on this unit, I have headphones at 4x the price that I'm currently selling as these are just so good.

Last edited:

Wolven

That is plenty enough to spend, a lot of people will put hd58x's in the same ballpack as hd660S (some suggest it is the same driver used and in the 700's), people even report prefering the jubilees. Honestly get them while massdrop still do them, they are an absolute bargain and sound fantastic on this unit.

Cool, I will take a look at those.

THW

Forum Donor
That is plenty enough to spend, a lot of people will put hd58x's in the same ballpack as hd660S (some suggest it is the same driver used and in the 700's), people even report prefering the jubilees. Honestly get them while massdrop still do them, they are an absolute bargain and sound fantastic on this unit.

won’t deny that 58X is good for the price but as of now I can’t think of a headphone other than that at that price range that would need the DX3 or something

also while I never used Massdrop myself (doesn’t ship to where I am and I can’t be bothered to hire a proxy), to my knowledge it’s also not available all the time so that’s something to take note if he wants to buy them

Wolven

won’t deny that 58X is good for the price but as of now I can’t think of a headphone other than that at that price range that would need the DX3 or something

also while I never used Massdrop myself (doesn’t ship to where I am and I can’t be bothered to hire a proxy), to my knowledge it’s also not available all the time so that’s something to take note if he wants to buy them

What headphones do you like?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Any recommendation on headphones for this unit? Something under 150$ US?

It depends on what your preferences are most of the time.

I have both the Massdrop HE4XX and HD6XX. I like both for different reasons.

If solo vocals are dominant, the HD6XX are very hard to beat for maybe up to US$500/-. For non-vocal stuff, I actually like the HE4XX more.

As a reference, from what I have auditioned before, the better version of the HD6XX would be the Focal Clear. As for overall balanced/ versatile sounding probably the Hifiman Ananda ( some say the Arya is even better but I have not tried it). For sound stage, the HD800, beats even the Focal Utopia but that one has so much "energetic detail", its quite an experience listening to it. It just draws you into the music. ( Of course these are at price points that I would not pay for. Just as a reference point to why I like certain sound signatures.)

For value, check out the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm. They do come on occasion in the US$150 range.

Toku

Major Contributor
Can someone explain to me about the headphone jack in DX3pro. I tried to use headphones for the first time to test the unit, cheap sony.
I can hear right channel when inserted all the way. I can hear both channels if inserted just in certain way.
Those headphones work with my other 3.5mm dac/amp no problem. The jack has two stripes. What's going on?
You have the same experience as me.
Perhaps I think that plugging of the earphone plug is not enough.
The jack of the DX3 Pro is loose at first, a little hard at the end is necessary for power.

nebula

not sure if it’s wise to spend only USD 150 on headphones when you’re paying something like USD 160-220 for the DX3, lol

if you ask me you shouldn’t spend more on source gear than transducers
I feel bad now haha, I bought Philips Fidelio X2HR for 170, but there was nothing better than DX3 Pro in this price range that I wanted to pair it with.
At least I got the DX3 for less than the headphones :p

lke7777777

i wound like the buy a newdac...d50 d7xs and d3xpro..which one is the best among them if connect to stereo amp mainly//any comment on them...thanks

ngs428

I feel bad now haha, I bought Philips Fidelio X2HR for 170, but there was nothing better than DX3 Pro in this price range that I wanted to pair it with.
At least I got the DX3 for less than the headphones :p

I have the X2 and like it a lot. I expect to like it with my DX3 pro when it arrives. I also use the HE4XX.

THW

Forum Donor
Pray tell, where do you live? Massdrop ships to a lot of places.

Singapore, from what I read Massdrop isn’t allowed to ship to Asian countries or something like that due to some agreement with its distributor or something

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Singapore, from what I read Massdrop isn’t allowed to ship to Asian countries or something like that due to some agreement with its distributor or something

Depends on specific product. Some products, they don't ship to certain countries. Others they do.
Best is to check on each specific item at payment.

THW

Forum Donor
Depends on specific product. Some products, they don't ship to certain countries. Others they do.
Best is to check on each specific item at payment.

you might be right, haven't checked all the products... yet

but what I do know is that both the HD 6XX and HD 58X Jubilee don't ship to my country directly, which sucks.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor

but what I do know is that both the HD 6XX and HD 58X Jubilee both don't ship to my country directly, which sucks.

I was referring to the specific brands though, not specific item. Apologies for any mix up.

As I know there was generally no restriction on Hifiman headphones as far as I have seen.

Wolven

but what I do know is that both the HD 6XX and HD 58X Jubilee both don't ship to my country directly, which sucks.

Is the massdrop HD 6XX worth the extra $50 over HD 58X Jubilee?

THW

Forum Donor
Is the massdrop HD 6XX worth the extra $50 over HD 58X Jubilee?
Wouldn’t really know myself, never had the pleasure to ever try them out myself for reasons already stated

But based on what I’m reading though the 6XX is supposed to be a 650 with a different paint job, not sure about the 58X

Measurements for both seem to be quite good though, so my statement for the 58X being quite good should hold

Last edited:

Wolven

Wouldn’t really know myself, never had the pleasure to ever try them out myself for reasons already stated

But based on what I’m reading though the 6XX is supposed to be a 650 with a different paint job, not sure about the 58X

Measurements for both seem to be quite good though, so my statement for the 58X being quite good should hold

I'm reading reviews. It looks like 6XX is less bright, I don't like treble all that much. 58X has small sound stage, deeper bass. Not sure yet.

Top Bottom