• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

voon

Btw: Thanks to everone of you responding to my problem :)

Seems broken then, does that high DC reading look the same when no track material is playing or using another track than that from post 994.

It doesn't seem to matter much what music is playing .. it' stays around 8.2 - 8.4V DC or so on the right channel. It also only happens if I start playing music (when you hear the internal relay clicking). If I measure it without music playing, but USB and power connected etc, it stays at 0 like the left channel.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Btw: Thanks to everone of you responding to my problem :)

It doesn't seem to matter much what music is playing .. it' stays around 8.2 - 8.4V DC or so on the right channel. It also only happens if I start playing music (when you hear the internal relay clicking). If I measure it without music playing, but USB and power connected etc, it stays at 0 like the left channel.
Welcome and thanks the analyze which should make it clear your particular unit is broken then and one could hope for if you write seller this technically analyze story that they send you a new unit without the need for you to ship unit back.

Klenfo

Everyone talked about clicking via usb but Bluetooth clicks the same way - every play and pause. They said they would send a request to XMOS. But XMOS is not used for Bluetooth

david_laprise

Thanks Amir for the review!

I’ve been in music production as hobby for years, but I’m a noob to audiophile stuff. I invested in audio interfaces years ago and they still work with my new iMac Pro!

I decided I was ready for the next level so I recently ordered a pair of Sennheizers HD6XX from Massdrop. I had a hunch I might need a proper amplifier rather than plugging into my Pioneer DJM-400. Then I heard of the dx3 from massdrop.

So here’s my noob question: the USB input on the dx3, does it mean it can be used as an audio interface?

My thinking is it might replace my old firewire interfaces. Alternatively my echo Audiofire 8 has a digital output that I could hook to the dx3...

Thanks again!
David

voon

So here’s my noob question: the USB input on the dx3, does it mean it can be used as an audio interface?

It shows up in Windows as an Audio device, so you can play from your Laptop/PC. Download the Thesycon driver Topping provides on their website for a higher bitrate etc ASIO sound out.

Aguti

Got the device today.

Everyone talked about clicking via usb but Bluetooth clicks the same way - every play and pause.
Yep, confirm that.

Also situation with clicks when connecting via coaxial when playing tracks with the same frequency and bitrate through foobar is:
1. Play -> stop -> play same/different track - click.
2. Play ->pause -> resume play - no click.
3. Play -> pause -> play different track - click.
4. Play ->pause -> open video on youtube - no click.
5. Play ->stop -> open video on youtube - click.
In all cases when click, device show on display ferquency 44.1.

In this case (connecting via coax or bluetooth) XMOS does not affect on clicks. The question arises: whether it is possible to fix the algorithm of the operation AK4118 (which controls the relay together with XMOS) by updating the firmware of the device, and reduces the clicks?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If by that you mean capture audio using it, answer is no. But for output as mentioned, of course. It looks like any other sound card and all windows/mac workstation apps should be able to output to it.

Saulius

Hi guys!
Does volume control works with line output too ,or just Headphone?
I am using old receiver in my home system who has no remote control ,and wondering can it work from dac remote, and does it effect sound quality in bad way lets say?

Thx for help!

kukocz

Forum Donor
Hi guys!
Does volume control works with line output too ,or just Headphone?
I am using old receiver in my home system who has no remote control ,and wondering can it work from dac remote, and does it effect sound quality in bad way lets say?

Thx for help!
Hi,
Yes it is (See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-46#post-123144).
You can download user guide from Topping site and read about all functions.
I'm testing DX3 Pro as a preamp for my NAD C356 and it's working very well. Hard to say if it's better than integrated preamp, I need to wait for new, better speakers.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I've been evaluating the DX3 for a couple of days now :) it sounds really good. I can safely say I prefer it over the much more costly iFi micro black.

I do have set a low-pass EQ in EqualizerAPO to mimic the iFi's high-frequency roll-off since that what I prefer for longer sessions. As for DX3 filter I just stuck with Filter 6 since it's a new addition in the AK4493/AK4497 lol.

Anyway this is a great device. Thanks @amirm

Hi,
Yes it is (See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-46#post-123144).
You can download user guide from Topping site and read about all functions.
I'm testing DX3 Pro as a preamp for my NAD C356 and it's working very well. Hard to say if it's better than integrated preamp, I need to wait for new, better speakers.
Have the same amp lol, i red that its preamp is not that good and that is worth to bypass it, please test it and write back (i have a Tannoy revolution xt6f which i admire and recommend every time)

THW

Forum Donor
Thing is I've not told anyone how they should feel about their unit, quite the opposite if you actually read what you quoted. I think the patreon fan bois need to get off their high horses and stop dragging up twisted quotes from days ago.

> how they should feel about their unit

I like my own unit without your input and having to assume your perspective on how the device is, I think I'm managing fine on my own so thanks but no thanks

Bigsy

> how they should feel about their unit

I like my own unit without your input and having to assume your perspective on how the device is, I think I'm managing fine on my own so thanks but no thanks
I have no idea what your talking about.

THW

Forum Donor
I have no idea what your talking about.

that’s why I highlighted the word “should”.

“should” implies a moral statement, which means it’s also based on your perspective.

Top Bottom