• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

TP-Wong

Audio Company
Hi, thanks for explaining the situation. It's my first time buying a Topping product, I bought DX3 Pro without hesitation after seeing the test results here.

I have a couple questions. First, is this a problem unique to AK4493/XU208/AK4118 and DX3 Pro, or do other DAC have similar issues?
I am also wondering why Amir doesn't experience the click issue on his pre-production unit during daily use. Was anything changed from pre-production to production unit?

Thanks again for informing us, Mr. Huang. Looking forward to your response.

Here's answer to your questions.
1. We bring in this problem while solving pop noise of AK4493. I don't know other DAC has this problem or not. But our other DAC do not has this problem.
2. Amir's sample also has click sound. But it appear or not, depend on how you use it. So I think Amir does not met that or he did not noticed it.
3. If you ask me what's difference between Amir's sample and retail version? I will tell you they are almost the same. We hope that his tests will truly reflect the situation of our retail products, so we will ensure that at least the audio hardware is same.
Aluminum housing, circuit board, components, even package of Amir's sample are same as retail version because we already finish production of them and Amir's sample is one from them. We did not release because we need time to debug and the user's manual not finished(You can see Amir's user's manual is simple made by a jet printer). So Amir's sample has no different with retail version in spec and test.

nebula

1. We bring in this problem while solving pop noise of AK4493. I don't know other DAC has this problem or not. But our other DAC do not has this problem.
2. Amir's sample also has click sound. But it appear or not, depend on how you use it. So I think Amir does not met that or he did not noticed it.
3. If you ask me what's difference between Amir's sample and retail version? I will tell you they are almost the same. We hope that his tests will truly reflect the situation of our retail products, so we will ensure that at least the audio hardware is same.
Aluminum housing, circuit board, components, even package of Amir's sample are same as retail version because we already finish production of them and Amir's sample is one from them. We did not release because we need time to debug and the user's manual not finished(You can see Amir's user's manual is simple made by a jet printer). So Amir's sample has no different with retail version in spec and test.
Thank you very much for answering my questions. From what I've noticed, I only experienced a minor amount of clicking when playback starts and stops, or when bitrate changes between tracks. I'm looking forward to any further improvements.

Lastly, do you recommend 24 bit or 32 bit operation? I'm not sure which one is "native" or if it has any performance impact to PC.
Thanks again, I'm happy with the quality of the DX3 so far.

kukocz

Forum Donor
Yeah, can't get my mind to how clean this sound is, found the filter 1 to be the best for speakers, least condensed, it really depends on the speakers/headphones.

Could you suggest a good track which will expose difference between all 6 fiters? I'm using Dx3 Pro as a preamp and to be honest I can't notice any difference between filters. Do they work both on headphone and line out?
On the other hand I have low-quality speakers right now and this could be the reason.

It means that if Amirm do a re-test of production unit, we won't see any difference in measurements. Will we?

Another question/suggestion. This DAC works well as preamp but there is a high risk that I can accidently change adjustable volume to fixed volume and blow my system (or at least my ears :)).
Currently, the line-out button on the remote switches in cycle between adjustable DAC or fixed DAC. Is it possible to remove "fixed dac" mode from remote (and multi-function button) and move it to settings interface (during powering-on)?

In this scenario we would have available all three modes from the remote and multi-function button (adjustable headphone, adjustable DAC and adjustable DAC+headphone). Fixed DAC would be available only from settings interface.

Odd, my display goes to F-6 just by using the remote

Am I the only one who doesn’t have much problems besides the clicking sounds?

I also have only F1-F5 available from the settings interface. In addition, as I mentioned before, the difference between modes are inaudible in my system.

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
I have reapedly stated that the dx3 pro is my everyday dac and amp. I use it many hours a day. Do you not read the post or just intent on misstating the facts here?

It seems you can't stand anyone liking and using it because you don't.
Don’t forget the frankly awful analogy of using a car’s horn for the click noise because the car’s horn is actually an important component of the car

Krunok

Major Contributor
Don’t forget the frankly awful analogy of using a car’s horn for the click noise because the car’s horn is actually an important component of the car

True to that - it was by far the worst car analogy seen here. :facepalm:

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor
@TP-Wong

Does RC-21 remote (for DX7s) work with DX3 Pro? On official Ali seller (BrightAudio Store) i found the following note:
The product will probably be upgraded; picture are for reference only.

Is something new comming out? :)

pejakovic1

On the other hand I have low-quality speakers right now and this could be the reason.

This is the reason you don't hear it. On my headphones I hear it ever so slightly but it's a good change.

I'm just here reading all these people bitch about some clicks that doesn't destroy the functionality or damage the state OF A 170$ product. This product blows away those in a 1000$ range just as a DAC, the amp is a bonus. Seriously people, get a grip until this is fixed, if it really is that bothersome just cover it with tape or sth so you hear it less, or for those who don' have it don't buy it.

A+ product in my opinion if this clicks really don't damage anything inside. Thanks @amirm for existing and recommending this hardware.

bleachershane

Maybe maxx... in my phone music collections i have all types of files, wav, 128kbps mp3, 256kbps VBR mp3.... why playing through, i could hear no clicks. Just the relay engaging when it receives the input signal.
You stated you have MP3s of differing bitrates, the DAC will not 'change' or click for differing bitrates, it will for different SAMPLE rates (44.1khz, 48khz, 88.2khz, 96khz, 176.4khz, 192khz are the most common). Bitrates and sample rates are two different things, best to have a quick Google rather than posting a full explanation here.

bleachershane

@amirm a little late in the thread but any possibility to see effects of F1-F6 filters like you tested the SU-8's seven filters? Not sure it means a lot, but so far I think we've only seen ESS Sabre filter implementations rather than AKM's.
I'd be interested in this as well to give an insight as to why people are raving about filter 6.

bleachershane

This is the reason you don't hear it. On my headphones I hear it ever so slightly but it's a good change.

I'm just here reading all these people bitch about some clicks that doesn't destroy the functionality or damage the state OF A 170$ product. This product blows away those in a 1000$ range just as a DAC, the amp is a bonus. Seriously people, get a grip until this is fixed, if it really is that bothersome just cover it with tape or sth so you hear it less, or for those who don' have it don't buy it.

A+ product in my opinion if this clicks really don't damage anything inside. Thanks @amirm for existing and recommending this hardware.
I really hope the amateur dramatics in this thread calm the hell down, it was getting tiresome trying to read through the chaff trying to find any news on the product and the issues mentioned here while I wait for mine to arrive!

mikehoopes

We did not release because we need time to debug and the user's manual not finished(You can see Amir's user's manual is simple made by a jet printer). So Amir's sample has no different with retail version in spec and test.
Mr. Wong - having also been on the supplier side of new product introductions in consumer electronics, I'm pretty familiar with the kinds of complaints you see here. The tone of many of them reminds me of many Kickstarter contributors, who would have been better served by purchasing after the first firmware update. Early adoption requires some patience, especially for products that have some relatively unique functionality.

I think this product is a good concept, and was well-executed. It reminds me of a technically-superior 2-channel version of the old Sound Blaster Extigy; I've been waiting for someone to make something like this for quite some time. It replaces 3 boxes on my desk, and adds additional functionality (Bluetooth, for one) and upgraded performance levels.

I would like to reiterate one bit of feedback that I posted earlier: I'd like to see the output volume levels stored for each of the inputs, and each of those separately for variable LINE OUT and HEADPHONE.

Also, I see that some users would like to be able to disable the fixed 0 dB LINE OUT. If the LINE OUT variable volume level was persistent (didn't follow the HEADPHONE level), the fixed mode would not be necessary.

Last edited:

Stuart

That is just nonsense. I could pick it to pieces but will instead just point out that a representative of Topping is posting in the thread and has admitted their error. Your selective perception is hardly constructive or needed.

Krunok

Major Contributor
That is just nonsense. I could pick it to pieces but will instead just point out that a representative of Topping is posting in the thread and has admitted their error. Your selective perception is hardly constructive or needed.

:facepalm:

kukocz

Forum Donor
Mr. Wong - having also been on the supplier side of new product introductions in consumer electronics, I'm pretty familiar with the kinds of complaints you see here. The tone of many of them reminds me of many Kickstarter contributors, who would have been better served by purchasing after the first firmware update. Early adoption requires some patience, especially for products that have some relatively unique functionality.

I think this product is a good concept, and was well-executed. It reminds me of a technically-superior 2-channel version of the old Sound Blaster Extigy; I've been waiting for someone to make something like this for quite some time. It replaces 3 boxes on my desk, and adds additional functionality (Bluetooth, for one) and upgraded performance levels.

I would like to reiterate one bit of feedback that I posted earlier: I'd like to see the output volume levels stored for each of the inputs, and each of those separately for variable LINE OUT and HEADPHONE.

Also, I see that some users would like to be able to disable the fixed 0 dB LINE OUT. If the the LINE OUT variable volume level was persistent (didn't follow the HEADPHONE level), the fixed mode would not be necessary.

Functionality you mentioned could be also activated from settings menu.

Wolven

The sad part about it is that if Topping had thought about the possible annoyances (click), they would have had a winning product. It could have really solidified the company as a front runner in the sector.
Kind of feel sorry for them, because vision for the product is all there, implementation could have used couple more checks.

Since, Topping rep has come here and the company is willing to fix the problems, I think this can still workout in their favour. Because sometimes what you do after the error is what matters the most.

Veri

Master Contributor
The sad part about it is that if Topping had thought about the possible annoyances (click),

They themselves have come in and said it was a problem they had with the AK4493 chip. They tried to resolve it, now get feedback from customers that their fix is not as elegant to the end-user (relay clicks). It is perfectly doable to still improve on the problem via firmware or software update. It will probably happen anyway since they have provided updates for the D10/D50 in the past too.

The people whining here are just freaking impatient and think they deserve a product without faults, at the lower cost price range, and at early adopter stage of a brand spanking new product, generally imported straight from China.

Get real guys.

Top Bottom