• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@ngs428 keep in mind that Amir prefers damn loud listening levels, if he says things are loud enough that would be sufficient for most normal people :D:D
You are just jealous of my ability to handle hearing pain! Some of us have tough, tough ears. Others do not. That is all this is about! :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm what are your thoughts on the Topping D10/Atom amp or the DX3 pro? Price is the same. Was set on the D10/Atom then I saw the DX3 pro. Driving a HE4XX.

Looks like the DAC may measure better on the DX3 but the amp section not as powerful. But it sounds like you don’t need more power on your HiFiman. Also from what it looks like you have went to the DX3 pro as your everyday rig.

Just curious on your comparison. Thanks for all you do!
Thanks. You have the trade offs there. The DX3 Pro is a much more compact and attractive package on your desk than a two-box solution. It is what I use. I also like the remote control option on DX3 Pro for changing things and driving active speakers.

ngs428

Thanks. You have the trade offs there. The DX3 Pro is a much more compact and attractive package on your desk than a two-box solution. It is what I use. I also like the remote control option on DX3 Pro for changing things and driving active speakers.

Thanks for the reply. What am I giving away in sound quality by going with the DX3? That must be the other part of the trade off you mentioned.

I agree, you do have tough ears! Don’t let them tell you otherwise! :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the reply. What am I giving away in sound quality by going with the DX3? That must be the other part of the trade off you mentioned.
You are giving up extra power. The atom definitely gets louder. Good news is that if you ever need that, you can get an atom and add it to DX3 Pro (i.e. use the latter as a DAC). Note also that the DX3 Pro has digital volume control and hence perfect channel match.

ILovePhonon

I guess it depends of the headphones you own or will own.

anyone knows if a simple adapter US 110V to EU 220V will be okay to use with the DX3 pro? and will it harm the audio signal if i do use it?
The included power supply can take 110V-240V without affecting output. You don’t need a step up/down transformer; you just need an adapter for the North American plug on it.

Keltere

Does dx3pro has a standby function when no input is detected?

ILovePhonon

If any of you are in Australia, most Korean supermarkets here sell a good quality universal plug (will take any plug and convert it to Australian plug) for 3 dollars or less. You can check your local Korean supermarkets if you have any nearby before you go get them anywhere else.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The usual rule of thumb is that the headphone impedance should be 10X the amplifier impedance. And there, it only matters if there are variations in the frequency response. Otherwise all the frequencies will be attenuated by the same amount so it won't matter.

So look up the measurements of your headphones. If it is more than 10 ohms, you are good.

How does this apply to the 9 ohm SE846? 1.0 Ohm Amps have too much impedance?

ILovePhonon

How does this apply to the 9 ohm SE846? 1.0 Ohm Amps have too much impedance?
NWAVGuy in the article Road to Nirvana implied that even 8x is good enough...although he’s talking more about the damping factor.

SE846 does not stay at 9 ohm throughout the frequency vs impedance graph:
CE645439-06F1-4CF2-AF24-EF8595C65F2D.png
it goes up to 16 ohm from 20-100 Hz and stay above 10 Ohm until about 350 Hz. These are the regions where the current needs are the greatest. I think you should be okay.

Last edited:

requiredinformation

Thank you guys for your input.

I decided to go with the DX3 pro as my first Dac/Amp.

I was wondering if there are any big "DO NOT DO' when it comes to Dacs/Amps? I've read long ago where people can fry their components by plugging it in wrongly etc.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now I use a Fiio Alpen (E17K) at work to drive my Beyer DT 1770 Pro.....what do you guys think, would the DX3 be a step up from the Fiio?
I don't want to go into subjective judgment...But I do remember nothing stellar about the Alpen...

Being objective, though : The DX3 Pro delivers far more power and will be more suited to your 250ohms DT1770. Even without considering the (probably superior) DAC section, I'm sure this will be a significant upgrade!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was wondering if there are any big "DO NOT DO' when it comes to Dacs/Amps? I've read long ago where people can fry their components by plugging it in wrongly etc.
Some have no protection circuit so you don't want to plug and unplug a headphone without pausing the music. I routinely abuse amps this way :) and have yet to have a failure.

ngs428

I see the volume displays, does the bit size or sample rate display? If so, when?

Mine is on its way from China... should have it in a few weeks. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see the volume displays, does the bit size or sample rate display? If so, when?
In headphone mode, it only shows the level. In line out mode, it shows the sample rate.

pauze

Ordered a DX3 the evening of Nov. 11 and it arrived today (San Diego) and it's already on the job driving a Massdrop 6XX with my phone as a transport. This thing is cute and sounds so good.

Any chance to try a 600ohm impedance pair of headphones? like the DT770/880/990 600ohm version and tell us how far can this DAC/AMP alone drive them?

I'm expecting a DT880 600ohm to arrive this Thursday and give you a report based on actual usage. I'm pretty sure it won't have any problem driving them since it can already drive the 6XX to uncomfortable levels in low gain mode. I have a decibel meter that I can use if you are interested in rough numbers.

In headphone mode connected via USB, switching between 44.1k and 96k FLAC files, it flashes the sample rate briefly (I estimate 3-4 seconds) when changing tracks, then goes back to the volume display.

ngs428

In headphone mode connected via USB, switching between 44.1k and 96k FLAC files, it flashes the sample rate briefly (I estimate 3-4 seconds) when changing tracks, then goes back to the volume display.

Perfect! Thanks!

Andre

Can dx3 pros sound improve with better power supply? I use it with monitors, so as dac and preamp. If so, which one to buy? Thanks

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can dx3 pros sound improve with better power supply? I use it with monitors, so as dac and preamp. If so, which one to buy? Thanks
No, I wouldn't bother at all.

Top Bottom