• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Wolven

Would TOSLink > USB?

According to the test USB is best, or that's what I got at of it. Optical maxes out at 24/192 as well.
Also, as Veri pointed out the headphone jack is cleaner than RCA, which was indicated by Amirm in his test.
Took me a while to realize this.

Last edited:

Yuno

And for line out, it has two modes: full and volume controlled. It cycles through it. So I always pause the music before messing with that.

Line out settings (100%) and line out volume controlled are activated with the same button?
That is one hell of an awful design. People are going to blast their ears off with full volume music unless topping patches this somehow. If it actually works like this I'm preamping my line out and never touching volume controlled line out, I would rather accidentally not hear my music than accidentally blast myself.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Line out settings (100%) and line out volume controlled are activated with the same button?
It is on the remote. I have not looked it up in the manual. :)

Toku

Major Contributor
DHL (I think epacket) from China to USA is horrible though. It first goes to Hong Kong, then Germany. Then goes to USA and gets transferred to USPS for delivery. Last time it waited a few days for each stop!! :facepalm:
That is the same situation I bought with MASDROP. My purchase first goes from America to Germany and then to Japan. It takes 3 weeks in total.
It's because you're not just "Toku" you're "Tokubetsu"!

Sorry for the bilingual oyaj gag...
I was very surprised! ! No way to listen to Japanese Oyaji Gyagu on this forum, but I was deeply impressed!
terrible!

john100a

You can from front panel but it is more cumbersome. So I just keep the remote next to it. And for line out, it has two modes: full and volume controlled. It cycles through it. So I always pause the music before messing with that.

Any chance you can snoop around in the settings and see if it's possible to make this process more streamlined? I recently opened a thread asking for a device that can seamlessly switch between pre-outs (to active speakers) and headphone out, and this seems like a good candidate, but I wouldn't want to rely on a remote or have the unit blast full line out suddenly to my speakers.

Bliman

Does Topping have a good reputation of quality control? I hear that the heatsinks were not placed with thermal paste in the DX7 and that there were problems.
Or is it a Chinese company that delivers good specs but cheap quality?
I also ask because there website doesn't look very professional and they also give only 1 year warranty.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm, Does the DX3 Pro give us options to change the digital filters like the D50 did?
Yes. Here is the manual. Sorry for the low quality:

Topping DX3 Pro DAC Manual.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does Topping have a good reputation of quality control? I hear that the heatsinks were not placed with thermal paste in the DX7 and that there were problems.
It is fairly common to do that if maximum heat reduction is not required.

Wolven

It looks that I will have to connect my self-powered speakers through the headphone jack to control volume. "(apparently line-out can be controlled with volume controls after all)"

Does anyone know of good shielded 3.5 to RCA cables, with longer run for the L & R split?

The problem is that these type of cables have short separation between L & R, and my speakers are 4 feet apart.
I don't want to use a Y splitter, too many cables and additional connections.

Last edited:

mikehoopes

It looks that I will have to connect my self-powered speakers through the headphone jack to control volume.

Does anyone know of good shielded 3.5 to RCA cables, with longer run for the L & R split?

The problem is that these type of cables have short separation between L & R, and my speakers are 4 feet apart.
I don't want to use a Y splitter, too many cables and additional connections.
Most of those cables are easily separated by pulling the RCA jacks lightly apart from one another. $0.79 at Monoprice:
665.jpg

john100a

Amirm, any chance you could look at my earlier post regarding the switching? I would absolutely love an answer since this looks the unit I'm looking for.

Yuno

Amirm, any chance you could look at my earlier post regarding the switching? I would absolutely love an answer since this looks the unit I'm looking for.

This is answered on the manual page that Amir posted here, double click switches outputs, single click switches inputs. Would rather have it the other way around, but at least it's something. The way I see it, dx3 pro is a unit that pretty much was made with remote control in mind, if you consider remote optional I think this is not a device for you.

john100a

This is answered on the manual page that Amir posted here, double click switches outputs, single click switches inputs. Would rather have it the other way around, but at least it's something. The way I see it, dx3 pro is a unit that pretty much was made with remote control in mind, if you consider remote optional I think this is not a device for you.

I have read the manual. It doesnt state if the output mode is pre-out or line-out. THATS a big difference. One time that I will forget to lower the volume and I will have a full line out signal blasting through my speakers. I don't think any audio equipment should be engineered with reliance on a remote control, anyway.

Yuno

I have read the manual. It doesnt state if the output mode is pre-out or line-out. THATS a big difference

Ok, I see. That's a good question. I agree with you overall, Topping made some questionable design decisions here from usability perspective. I would rather not have fixed line out than have it implemented like this.

Bliman

Can someone say here if Topping is reliable?
I like the measurements but I don't know the rest looks iffy. Like the website or the manual.
Does people here use Topping a long time now?
I just fear that I will buy a unit with good measurements but that they took shortcuts in quality control and such.

Top Bottom