• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

THW

Forum Donor
I accidently pulled the cable of my HD6XX with my elbow today and got the DX3 a few inches off of my table :facepalm:. I noticed afterwards that the glass panel of the lamps on my Topping DX3 has a bit of wiggleroom and can be moved when I push it with my finger.

Does anyone know if this is normal for the DX3, or did I break something on the front?

you might’ve broken something, mine doesn’t move

Veri

Master Contributor
Lol 200e for a power supply
New version is much more expensive :rolleyes: fancy power supplies are a silly market.

The Sbooster is at least made well though, measures similar to Amir's lab supply. Audible, probably not but yeah..

Veri

Master Contributor
Lol I just realised. My DX3 has the white/red color on the coax RCA's, and the line outs have the yellow color.

No big issue :p (or maybe that's their secret sauce all along...)

graz_lag

Major Contributor
New version is much more expensive :rolleyes: fancy power supplies are a silly market.

The Sbooster is at least made well though, measures similar to Amir's lab supply. Audible, probably not but yeah..

1544897882428.png

The Sbooster shows a very ordinary design, with a line filter, a quite cheap toroidal transformer, and a simple rectifier and filter.
Any of the parts normally used in a high-end audio power supply are absent as a matter of fact.
However, it proves once again that a basic straight good design, made with fairly common and quite inexpensive parts, with a simple regulator on the output, single sided circuit board, and inexpensive bulk capacitors, may do the job quite well.

Ohh ... all that in a plastic box "en plus" ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One thing about sbooster is that all of their products go through full safety certification. They are an OEM provider for other companies so their volume allows them to design things properly. I would be worried about using non-certified power supplies from others.

Toku

Major Contributor
Suddenly I encountered a problem that sounds do not come out at all when connected to a USB.
The operation state at that time is as follows.

1. COAX-1 normal
2. COAX-2 normal
3. OPT normal
4. USB bad audio output can not be done (ASIO & WASAPI)

Although music is not output at this time, PC and DX3 Pro are communicating normally with USB connection. When examining variously it was in the following state.

· Bit rate is correctly displayed on the display when various songs of PCM and DSD are switched. But there is no sound from the RCA.

· Switching songs with DSD produces big pop noise. There is no pop noise in PCM.

· Large click noise appears when volume is up / down with DSD. PCM does not produce click noise.

· I performed a factory reset on the main unit but the operation did not improve.

· I pulled out the AC adapter from the outlet for 1 minute and connected again but it did not improve.

· I concluded that the hardware was broken, unplugged the AC adapter and left it for about 1 hour.

· After that, plug the AC adapter into the outlet again and turn on the switch and the DX3 Pro suddenly returned to normal operation.

I am glad that the breakdown is restored but it is really a mysterious trouble.

(Sorry, my English may not be correct)

THW

Forum Donor
any news on that firmware update?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
One thing about sbooster is that all of their products go through full safety certification ... I would be worried about using non-certified power supplies from others.

Indeed, the list of logos in terms of safety certification they exhibit is impressive, the largest in the PSU industry with no doubt.
Is the Sbooster more expensive than other comparing alternatives ? Yes it is, but each of the applications they have been granted by, cost money.
Ohh ... and when it comes to safety ... safety 1st rather than the cost saving vs. cheaper alternatives of doubt safety certification ... if any ...

Stuart

One thing about sbooster is that all of their products go through full safety certification. They are an OEM provider for other companies so their volume allows them to design things properly. I would be worried about using non-certified power supplies from others.

So you recommend it?

Stuart

I think what @amirm means is that no issues are likely to arise, as it's a trustworthy product. This doesn't mean however that audio will improve because of its use ...

That would make more sense as nothing I have read seems to be backed up by any science. Will file them away with £100 plus audiophile fuses and £2000 plus cables.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
So in the end HD6XX would need high gain switched on for the amp to do the trick? If you were using 6xx exclusively with this thing would you be satisfied? I perhaps wrongly have a fear of high gain ruining the accuracy.

jsheard

So in the end HD6XX would need high gain switched on for the amp to do the trick? If you were using 6xx exclusively with this thing would you be satisfied? I perhaps wrongly have a fear of high gain ruining the accuracy.

It depends on how loud you listen of course, but personally I use HD650s (6XX is basically the same thing) with the DX3 and low gain is plenty powerful enough.

Stein

Bungled a bit with wires, and I'm back with some good news! It would seem that the body of the Topping DX3Pro is highly scratch resistant

Top Bottom