• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Fsjgr

I’ve experienced one 0 dB DAC mode blast so far. Quite unsettling, considering that the comfortable loud listening level for my speaker setup is about -17 dB, and is more typically at -23 dB.

I keep mine on high gain to split the difference between variable LINE OUT and HEADPHONE (high gain only applies to the HP out). I’m on the verge of inserting some Schiit (SYS) between the LINE OUT and my speaker amp input. I’d like to keep it simple on my desktop - I’m already swimming in wires in my home theater.

At the risk of repeating myself, I think there should be a few extra configurations, which would make this close to how my Denon A/V receiver is configured:

1. All input/output combinations remember their last volume level (during session).
2. All input/output combinations revert to a preset level when selected, when the DX3 is coming up from standby (might address Yuno’s issue).
3. DAC mode disabled option (default).

I see the basic utility of Radsone’s EarStudio mobile app concept emerging. Since the Qualcomm CSR8675 BT SOC is in play, that’s possible in the hardware. Wishlist: How about some DAC-level EQ...a killer desktop feature.

I agree about giving the option to disable dac mode (pure line out at 0dB). Or at least to disable this function from being controlled by the remote, especially when its just one "line out" button press past preamp mode. I am living in fear that my speakers will one day be fried by an unwitting user who accidentally hits the line out button twice...

kukocz

Forum Donor
Maybe I'll describe what I have asked Topping via email and what they answered:

1. Question about firmware update ("click-gate" :)). As I already mentioned, it should be released this weekend

2. Improvement in settings to prevent accidentally switching DAC from variable line-out to fixed line-out. I described possible solution in the following post:
Another question/suggestion. This DAC works well as preamp but there is a high risk that I can accidently change adjustable volume to fixed volume and blow my system (or at least my ears :)).
Currently, the line-out button on the remote switches in cycle between adjustable DAC or fixed DAC. Is it possible to remove "fixed dac" mode from remote (and multi-function button) and move it to settings interface (during powering-on)?

In this scenario we would have available all three modes from the remote and multi-function button (adjustable headphone, adjustable DAC and adjustable DAC+headphone). Fixed DAC would be available only from settings interface.

The answer I got from topping:
I understand you suggestion, I will tell our product manager and they will discuss about it. We are also looking for better controls, better functions of our product.

Hopefully Topping will take it into consideration.

3. Question about DX7s' remote and possible new successor:
@TP-Wong

Does RC-21 remote (for DX7s) work with DX3 Pro? On official Ali seller (BrightAudio Store) i found the following note:
The product will probably be upgraded; picture are for reference only.

Is something new comming out? :)
Topping answer:
Feel free to use RC21 because IR code of it is same as DX3 Pro's. And yet we do not have any plan about upgrade or changing RC21. By the way, DX3 Pro already comes with a plastic remote, you needn't to buy another one.

If settings improvements won't be implemented in next firmware release, I found quite reasonable workaround. As I'm using DX3 Pro mainly as preamp, I'm going to test a self-learning remote (around $3 on Ali). It has 6 buttons which could be perfectly used for main functionality (power on/off, change source, change volume, mute). Actually, I'm waiting for delivery... :)
HTB1KjnoyOCYBuNkHFCcq6AHtVXaA.jpg

Last edited:

buck890

Morning guys, first time poster. Any of you that have the DX3pro moved from the D30 + A30 combo? If so have you heard any improvements to the sound produced? I have the D30 + A30 combo with a pair a of burson v5i dual opamps installed which gave it a massive upgrade in sound quality (to my ears). I use the 2 mainly for online gaming on my PC via USB and PS4 via optical with the occasional listening to music via a Cyrus 3 and Q acoustic 3010. Cheers.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Morning guys, first time poster. Any of you that have the DX3pro moved from the D30 + A30 combo? If so have you heard any improvements to the sound produced? I have the D30 + A30 combo with a pair a of burson v5i dual opamps installed which gave it a massive upgrade in sound quality (to my ears). I use the 2 mainly for online gaming on my PC via USB and PS4 via optical with the occasional listening to music via a Cyrus 3 and Q acoustic 3010. Cheers.

I would normally recommend you to stay with your D30/A30 combo as there will be no hearable difference if you switch to DX3 Pro, except of course for it's famous relay clicking sounds.

Before persisitng in your claim that you have Superman hearing so you can detecet op amp swap you may want to read acrefully this test done on Topping D10.

SiW

What are people’s views on usb vs Bluetooth play back on 192kHz rate music on the unit?

I could hear slight differences (usb was fuller and more detailed) but maybe mind tricks.

Simon

Klenfo

Should the DAC come out of standby mode itself? After turning off the PC, it goes into standby mode, but does not come out of standby mode after turning on the PC. Connected via USB.

Krunok

Major Contributor
What are people’s views on usb vs Bluetooth play back on 192kHz rate music on the unit?

I could hear slight differences (usb was fuller and more detailed) but maybe mind tricks.

Simon

Actually it may not be mind tricks - it is possible to hear the difference as codecs used by Bluetooth are on par with mp3 (except APTX HD).

Yuno

Should the DAC come out of standby mode itself? After turning off the PC, it goes into standby mode, but does not come out of standby mode after turning on the PC. Connected via USB.

It should.

darker

Is it possible to set a password for Bluetooth? By default is not protected and anyone can just connect to the device.

Saulius

48252752_2152671215048694_8212353601712947200_n.jpg Does Dx3 Pro have function like D50 has "DAC+Pre-amplifier application"? Or it just use SLA?

Dopus

Its been 2 week and many hours listening to music with this dac/amp. A big step up from my old Fiio e7k/e9 combo. I use og together with my Hifiman he400i headset..sound great. The clicking noise is not a problem for me. I use it as a derdicated music setup. I have it connected to my raspberrypi 2b (runnig PiCoreplayer) with USB. Streams my Tidal Hifi streaming service and my local files to the topping. Even support streaming local hi rez files to the dac.Very pleased with the sound quality this setup can produce

Wolven

If Topping is still reading this forum. Would it be possible to add Balance Control to your USB driver?
The Realtek and windows DS drivers have that option.
Some of us don't hear as well from both ears.

Stein

I accidently pulled the cable of my HD6XX with my elbow today and got the DX3 a few inches off of my table :facepalm:. I noticed afterwards that the glass panel of the lamps on my Topping DX3 has a bit of wiggleroom and can be moved when I push it with my finger.

Does anyone know if this is normal for the DX3, or did I break something on the front?

Last edited:

bannani

DO you think there will be a good difference in listening experience in finding a good 15 v power supply?
For the moment I am really impressed by this DX3 from far from my previous dac of 2 K€, really a super listening experience...Veryhappy..

Veri

Master Contributor
DO you think there will be a good difference in listening experience in finding a good 15 v power supply?
For the moment I am really impressed by this DX3 from far from my previous dac of 2 K€, really a super listening experience...Veryhappy..
I purchased a black friday sale Sbooster (v1).

Totally unnecessary I'm sure but this (+THX maybe) is my end game set-up :D

Tatteredmidnight

Actually it may not be mind tricks - it is possible to hear the difference as codecs used by Bluetooth are on par with mp3 (except APTX HD).

My understanding is that they are actually simpler than mp3 (AAC aside obviously) as they do not leverage psychoacoustics. I think the compression used on mini-disks was similar.

Top Bottom