• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

derp1n

I'm very well aware of the review and only wish to know if I am still in shock of how good this is for it's cost compared to some of those much more expensive devices or is it truly better and outperforms them.
Ah, if you're asking for a subjective judgement call... good luck. :)

Toku

I like technical talks and I am participating in several forums of ASR.
I am grateful for the disclosure of electrical measurement data of various products by amirm.
I am Japanese and I'm not good at English, but I am trying to understand everyone's remarks.
But reading a recent post makes me feel a little sad. You should think more about your post.

Phrases like "truly better" get complicated quickly because they are relative to the domain of the discussion. On a forum for audio metrology, "truly better" would mean "achieves superior measurements in a defined set of tests."

If this were an industrial design forum, "truly better" may mean something completely different.

Phrases like "truly better" get complicated quickly because they are relative to the domain of the discussion. On a forum for audio metrology, "truly better" would mean "achieves superior measurements in a defined set of tests."

If this were an industrial design forum, "truly better" may mean something completely different.
Truly better as, a cleaner output. Just given the bluetooth implementation it's great. Also I never cared about portability, portability is, in my book, a non-feature. If it doesn't have a volume knob I ain't bought.

Measured DC on the headphone output, -0.0 dB (high gain, USB). DMM: Triplett 9045, 0.5% accuracy rdg (reading).
Music playing: L (1.1 mV), R (0.2 mV)
Music paused: L (0.0 mV), R (0.0 mV)

[edit]: Last measurement with stock MassDrop HD 6XX cable.

Measured with V-Moda XF-3SZ-BLACK cable (3.5 mm TRRS input, 3.5 mm TRS output, 3-button control with mic): same results.
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/3-button-speakeasy-cable

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Look into my eye..
The Watchman
Patreon Donor
There’s been a few sour ,ill tempered and rather petulant exchanges in this thread can those who it concerns cut it out please. I’m on holiday and Iv miss a bit so For the rest of you please accept my apologies and thanks for conducting yourselves in the right way .

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

voon

Btw: Thanks to everone of you responding to my problem :)

Seems broken then, does that high DC reading look the same when no track material is playing or using another track than that from post 994.
It doesn't seem to matter much what music is playing .. it' stays around 8.2 - 8.4V DC or so on the right channel. It also only happens if I start playing music (when you hear the internal relay clicking). If I measure it without music playing, but USB and power connected etc, it stays at 0 like the left channel.

Btw: Thanks to everone of you responding to my problem :)

It doesn't seem to matter much what music is playing .. it' stays around 8.2 - 8.4V DC or so on the right channel. It also only happens if I start playing music (when you hear the internal relay clicking). If I measure it without music playing, but USB and power connected etc, it stays at 0 like the left channel.
Welcome and thanks the analyze which should make it clear your particular unit is broken then and one could hope for if you write seller this technically analyze story that they send you a new unit without the need for you to ship unit back.

Everyone talked about clicking via usb but Bluetooth clicks the same way - every play and pause. They said they would send a request to XMOS. But XMOS is not used for Bluetooth

Thanks Amir for the review!

I’ve been in music production as hobby for years, but I’m a noob to audiophile stuff. I invested in audio interfaces years ago and they still work with my new iMac Pro!

I decided I was ready for the next level so I recently ordered a pair of Sennheizers HD6XX from Massdrop. I had a hunch I might need a proper amplifier rather than plugging into my Pioneer DJM-400. Then I heard of the dx3 from massdrop.

So here’s my noob question: the USB input on the dx3, does it mean it can be used as an audio interface?

My thinking is it might replace my old firewire interfaces. Alternatively my echo Audiofire 8 has a digital output that I could hook to the dx3...

Thanks again!
David

voon

So here’s my noob question: the USB input on the dx3, does it mean it can be used as an audio interface?
It shows up in Windows as an Audio device, so you can play from your Laptop/PC. Download the Thesycon driver Topping provides on their website for a higher bitrate etc ASIO sound out.

Aguti

Got the device today.

Everyone talked about clicking via usb but Bluetooth clicks the same way - every play and pause.
Yep, confirm that.

Also situation with clicks when connecting via coaxial when playing tracks with the same frequency and bitrate through foobar is:
1. Play -> stop -> play same/different track - click.
2. Play ->pause -> resume play - no click.
3. Play -> pause -> play different track - click.
4. Play ->pause -> open video on youtube - no click.
5. Play ->stop -> open video on youtube - click.
In all cases when click, device show on display ferquency 44.1.

In this case (connecting via coax or bluetooth) XMOS does not affect on clicks. The question arises: whether it is possible to fix the algorithm of the operation AK4118 (which controls the relay together with XMOS) by updating the firmware of the device, and reduces the clicks?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If by that you mean capture audio using it, answer is no. But for output as mentioned, of course. It looks like any other sound card and all windows/mac workstation apps should be able to output to it.

Saulius

Hi guys!
Does volume control works with line output too ,or just Headphone?
I am using old receiver in my home system who has no remote control ,and wondering can it work from dac remote, and does it effect sound quality in bad way lets say?

Thx for help!

Top Bottom