• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
But ignoring that, I was under the impression that he was also using it as a daily driver, and assumed he would encounter the issue using it while browsing YouTube, etc.

Yes, Amir has said that his prototype has no clicking, that he couldn't reproduce it.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hmm, are you sure? I only remember this post:

But ignoring that, I was under the impression that he was also using it as a daily driver, and assumed he would encounter the issue using it while browsing YouTube, etc.

I don't have my unit yet, will be receiving it tomorrow (well, later today). I will probably end up using whatever offers the highest quality playback in Foobar while still allowing me to watch videos in a browser (if such a setting exists without driving me crazy with clicks). Do you think DirectSound would be better than WASAPI for this?

ASIO and WASAPI are far better for listening to audio but browser can only use DirectSound.

Veri

Master Contributor
ASIO and WASAPI are far better for listening to audio but browser can only use DirectSound.
I actually think Tidal's webapp can use exclusive mode somehow, from what I remember during my 30d trial :D

Krunok

Major Contributor
That's not correct, Amir was testing with ASIO4All. That's the setup he always uses. WASAPI and DirectSound as per experience of I believe all people here (for sure me) is broken.

ASIO4All is just a wrapper for KS (Kernel streaming). Generally speaking WASAPI is newer interface than KS and is recommended for audio over KS. I find it hard to imagine that KS would in any way be superior to WASAPI.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Topping outsources their firmware to a third party supplier, and in my humble opinion the supplier is not very reliable. The supplier messes various firmware configuration up, and is reluctant to fix them. They cause quite a few issues in OSes or music players. If I were topping I would hire my own firmware developer and clean up all the bugs.

You seem to know much about internal Topping stuff. Were you working for them? :)

pii75

I will receive my unit in a few days and I will connect it to a raspberry. What about linux driver? Has someone already test it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's not correct, Amir was testing with ASIO4All. That's the setup he always uses. WASAPI and DirectSound as per experience of I believe all people here (for sure me) is broken.
That's only for measurements. For listening I use exclusive WASAPI.

Bigsy

I will receive my unit in a few days and I will connect it to a raspberry. What about linux driver? Has someone already test it?
It doesn't work correctly under linux either, this was with kernel 4.19. I also haven't been able to find an adequate workaround like I have for windows.

Yuno

There is no workaround, on page 35 there is official response from Topping. Clicking is a design issue and you will not resolve it in any way other than waiting for firmware from Topping, which they said they are working on already.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

pauze

OK this is weird. I've switched all my settings back: Foobar output to DX3 via ASIO, everything else going to my other soundcard (Emu 1616m) and now I'm still getting the standby mode click a second or two after stopping Foobar. I guess based off Topping's explanation that is how it is supposed to work, but this is not something I've noticed in the many days I've been using the unit. Possible that I'm only noticing it now since the clicking has become a hot topic, but that would been something that would have bugged me from the beginning as well.

Johnb

You are making accusations without arguments and making comments about linearity measurement without digging into it. I can hardly imagine you will be missed.
That wasn't nice. I think only the moderators should be making such statements if necessary. The rest of the members are here to make everyone wellcome. Hajde, i ti se smiri.

gmrpnk21

Does the clicking happen with USB only? I'm looking at getting a good DAC/AMP or stack for around $200 to connect to my tv via optical out. I'd be using it primarily for gaming and movies, with the fostex TH-X00 purplehearts and soon DT 990 pros. This looks like a pretty decent option for what I require.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting arguments. However, if you stretch that line of thinking you will soon come to conclusion that the best platform for audio player is Linux/ALSA and not Windows/KS. ;)

I'm guessing Marcin and Joseph would agree. Jplay was developed for optimizing Windows machines.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
His analyzer doesn't work with WASAPI if I remember correctly.
This is correct. I have given feedback to Audio Precision to support WASAPI and hopefully they will.

Top Bottom