• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Lifu

This would have been my main DAC+Amp if the LDAC version didn't have the high output impedance problem.

Toku

Major Contributor
Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor

Poultrygeist

Still enjoying the excellent sound and features of the original.

Attachments

• P1010011 5.jpeg
    P1010011 5.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 252

TunaBug

Forum Donor
-Surprised it's still built on xmos XU208
-Jitter is no longer anxious :p
-Specs look really nice. The stacked LM4562 output looks interesting.

Don't products built with the XU216 usually do MQA though? So we can be happy with the XU208 :)

TunaBug

Forum Donor
With the extra horsepower that's an option, yes. :)

If only they had a use for that extra horsepower, other than MQA. PEQ for example. My impression of Topping is that they are fantastic at designing analog sections, integrating that with DACs, USB interfaces, etc. But also lacking when it comes to software development. I hope that the software side of things is something they can grow into... I would love for Topping to grow into being competition for Matrix Audio.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
If only they had a use for that extra horsepower, other than MQA. PEQ for example. My impression of Topping is that while they are fantastic at designing analog sections, integrating that with DACs, USB interfaces, etc. But also lacking when it comes to software development. I hope that the software side of things is something they can grow into... I would love for Topping to grow into being competition for Matrix Audio.
I think they are aiming for that. Just takes time or course :D

Proberts911

Forum Donor
You need to go to advance settings, it can't be done from remote any more in V2. Just unplug power (totally) press the knob and plug power again, you will boot the advance setup menu, I don't remember the exact option, but you can find it in manual to change from pre-amp to DAC mode.
Many thanks. This is a huge help! I didn't think of unplugging it.

Ere

Thanks I got it now. Version 2, power off the unit (with cable, not just standby) hold the knob inside as you connect the power cable again. Then you can see the menu. Save by holding the knob again, until you see 8-8.
On the DX-3 Pro I just bought one can switch between headphone amp and DAC modes either by accessing the menu by powering off/holding down multi-function button/powering on OR by pressing headphone/DAC buttons on the remote.

My test set-up here is: video signal to monitor w HDMI and audio from Sony BDP-S6700 universal player via coaxial to the Topping.

I selected "DAC mode" to display the sampling rate of what was coming into the unit but noticed that even when playing single layer SACDs (like the one below) it displays as

44.1 PCM

shouldn't the unit display 2.8MHz?

(notice in photo that the output display from the Sony shows the disc as DSD 2.8 MHz)?

Thoughts on why it's doing that or suggestions how to make the Topping display the correct input info? Thanks

51843369363_230173167f_k.jpg

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
On the DX-3 Pro I just bought one can switch between headphone amp and DAC modes either by accessing the menu by powering off/holding down multi-function button/powering on OR by pressing headphone/DAC buttons on the remote.

My test set-up here is: video signal to monitor w HDMI and audio from Sony BDP-S6700 universal player via coaxial to the Topping.

I selected "DAC mode" to display the sampling rate of what was coming into the unit but noticed that even when playing single layer SACDs (like the one below) it displays as

44.1 PCM

shouldn't the unit display 2.8MHz?

(notice in photo that the output display from the Sony shows the disc as DSD 2.8 MHz)?

Thoughts on why it's doing that or suggestions how to make the Topping display the correct input info? Thanks

51843369363_230173167f_k.jpg
When I purchased the Sony BDP-S6700, I found that when the COAX output was connected to the DAC, it could only be played at PCM 44.1kHz/16bit, and I investigated the cause.
After all, the cause was copyright protection. It seems that the specifications of these players stipulate that all files be down-converted to CD quality 44.1kHz/16bit. If you want to use the original as it is, you need to consider connecting using HDMI.
Take the I2S signal from the HDMI output of the BDP-S6700 and connect it to a DAC with an I2S input.
The same thing is talked about in the E50 forum and it is explained in detail, so please refer to it.

Last edited:

Ere

... If you want to use the original as it is, you need to consider connecting using HDMI.
Take the I2S signal from the HDMI output of the BDP-S6700 and connect it to a DAC with an I2S input.

I'd like to play high-resolution discs from their original media, and feed the best quality two channel audio to a Marantz 2275.

Since some of the discs use menus to access content (e.g., Steven Wilson's work on Yes) the video signal from compatible players needs to go to a monitor.

If there's no workaround with these models of Sony or Topping, I'm open to going to something that either plays the media and outputs the higher-than-CD quality to analog, especially since there is an eight week window to return the DX3. In other words, if what I'm after won't work on these units, any suggestions of those that will within a budget of less than $750 or so would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Buy a new DAC? OK
I'd like to know if there is a solution with the two units I have in hand...
no,
I gave up using the BDP-S6700 as an audio player. Right now I only use it to play Blu-ray discs and DVDs.
So I switched all audio playback to USB-connected PC audio.

Proberts911

Forum Donor
I have two sources feeding my DX3 Pro+, a CD player using optical and a raspberry pi using USB. The line out preamp is turned off. The output is connected to active speakers (Audioengine A2+). When switching between CD and USB, the CD is much louder. At least twice as loud. Does anyone know why?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two sources feeding my DX3 Pro+, a CD player using optical and a raspberry pi using USB. The line out preamp is turned off. The output is connected to active speakers (Audioengine A2+). When switching between CD and USB, the CD is much louder. At least twice as loud. Does anyone know why?
The obvious answer is that some digital attenuation is happening in the Pi. What are you using the Pi for ? Streaming of some sort? Check that volume normalisation or whatever its called in your service is turned off. Also make sure the software player in the Pi is at max.

Proberts911

Forum Donor
The obvious answer is that some digital attenuation is happening in the Pi. What are you using the Pi for ? Streaming of some sort? Check that volume normalisation or whatever its called in your service is turned off. Also make sure the software player in the Pi is at max.
Thanks. That makes sense. Yea, I'm streaming from the pi running piCorePlayer. I'll look around the settings and adjust accordingly. Appreciate the help.

pwn87

The problem that I have on my unit should not affect the sound quality, but I will review my post if my unit would be replaced and the new one is better.
have you gotten a replacement unit? how is the sound now?
i've never had any issues with amazon. they even refund any shipping and import fees if you send something back to another country/marketplace.
it could also be that the device is too linear and revealing for the recordings you have.
i'm curious because a friend is considering buying the dx3pro+

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
have you gotten a replacement unit? how is the sound now?
i've never had any issues with amazon. they even refund any shipping and import fees if you send something back to another country/marketplace.
it could also be that the device is too linear and revealing for the recordings you have.
i'm curious because a friend is considering buying the dx3pro+
The only "problem" with the headphone output from the v2 is that it has a higher impedance (~10Ohm). This could, maybe, in some cases, influence the sound on some lower impedance headphones. It could also limit the output on low impedance, low sensitivity headphones. (higher output current = bigger voltage drop over the output)
All this should not result in major issues with the qulity of sound.
Also this "problem" is solved in the DX3 pro+.

I solved the issue with the BT switching the device on by just removing the device from the list of BT devices on my phone. I just re-connect when I need the BT on the Topping.

Top Bottom