• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

sjeesjie

I was wondering, if I connect the 3DXPro through a P50 LPS, will that stop the unit sending a blow to the analogue out when switching off?
What is it exactly that causes this?

Rickydenim

Quick update - I posted earlier about noticing a difference between the line-out on DX3pro vs my Motu M4 when listening to my power monitors. Well, turns out I had Equalizer APO running on the Dx3pro with a headphone profile! Whoops.

Can confirm it now sounds just as good - can't tell any difference.

I do get the 'pop' though which is annoying - just gonna make sure to turn the Topping on first.

Fernando

Forum Donor
Surprising for a small unit, as seen in the picture, you get a remote control and all the functionality in its larger brother, the Topping DX7s. You can select the volume control to apply to line out, headphone out or both. So you could use this to drive powered speakers for example without a need for pre-amp and use the remote control as needed.

Hello!

I have not found any info about it, but according to these words you can run the headphones and the "pre-amp" at the same time. I have not succeeded.

Is there any trick?

artburda

Hello!

I have not found any info about it, but according to these words you can run the headphones and the "pre-amp" at the same time. I have not succeeded.

Is there any trick?
Just press the big round middle button on the remote. The headphone symbol will start to blink.

railthe

Uhhh, I thought Ill read about the stability of this device, but the number of pages in this thread scared me. So...is it reliable now? Or is there an alternative?

barbosas

Uhhh, I thought Ill read about the stability of this device, but the number of pages in this thread scared me. So...is it reliable now? Or is there an alternative?

I received mine last Friday, bought from Amazon UK, still testing for reliability but so far so good, I leave it on all the time and so far it has resumed with no issues whatsoever.

I've been using it as pure dac feeding into a power amplifier and it's a great improvement over the chromecast audio analog output.

Ddd

Does this DX3 Pro able to switch the display?

Instead of showing current volume level

Can it switch to sample rates?

Like Topping D10...

Showing current songs sample rate?

kukocz

Forum Donor
Does this DX3 Pro able to switch the display?

Instead of showing current volume level

Can it switch to sample rates?

Like Topping D10...

Showing current songs sample rate?
Only if acting as DAC only. In preamp mode sample rate is visible for a while either when source is changed or sample rate of song is changed.

Ddd

Only if acting as DAC only. In preamp mode sample rate is visible for a while either when source is changed or sample rate of song is changed.

Ah! I just discovered the DX3 Pro can get into the settings Menu to change the display after carefully reading the manual XD
Alright thanks brother!

gorman

Is there a difference between DAC only and preamp? I've tried configuring by connecting power while keeping volume know pressed, thus entering settings menu but I don't see any difference. Volume is still controlled through the volume knob in DAC mode. And I also don't see sample rate if not when changing it. Volume is what remains visible for both settings of "d", 1 and 0.

Windows 10 here. Do I have to install the specific drivers for it? I had a Topping D10 before and when I disconnected that and connected the DX3 Pro (v2) it recognized it just fine and Topping control panel sees it with no problems...

I connect it to iLoud Micro speakers who are powered speakers, if that makes a difference somehow (don't think so).

Ddd

Is there a difference between DAC only and preamp? I've tried configuring by connecting power while keeping volume know pressed, thus entering settings menu but I don't see any difference. Volume is still controlled through the volume knob in DAC mode. And I also don't see sample rate if not when changing it. Volume is what remains visible for both settings of "d", 1 and 0.

Windows 10 here. Do I have to install the specific drivers for it? I had a Topping D10 before and when I disconnected that and connected the DX3 Pro (v2) it recognized it just fine and Topping control panel sees it with no problems...

I connect it to iLoud Micro speakers who are powered speakers, if that makes a difference somehow (don't think so).
Running in DAC mode only bypasses the pre amp circuits, since it is not a dedicated well built pre amp, maybe the circuit is not that great? I may be wrong, but it is known from the Topping D90, DAC mode definitely have better quality than running in the pre amp mode due to the same reason mentioned above.

And for windows 10.. It is best if you download and install the latest XMOS USB driver from Topping Website for your DX3 pro. Those driver will also significantly improve your sound quality due to not using Window's driver which is not dedicated written for the DX3 Pro and may not unlock it's full potential. Also, depending what music player you're using it with, try to use ASIO instead of WASAPI or windows driver :)

As for the D-0 and D-1,
From my experience. After you change the settings to D-1, press and hold the volume knob until you see "8-8" to save the settings, then turn on the DX3 Pro and take your Topping remote, press the headphone button, and then press the line out button again. Then I see sample rate only and volume control is disabled. Try it for yourself. I hope it works for you :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Running in DAC mode only bypasses the pre amp circuits, since it is not a dedicated well built pre amp, maybe the circuit is not that great? I may be wrong, but it is known from the Topping D90, DAC mode definitely have better quality than running in the pre amp mode due to the same reason mentioned above.

There isn't a separate preamp circuit.

DAC mode just sets the volume at 0dB. Not sure what folks are hearing that make the claims you describe...

Ddd

There isn't a separate preamp circuit.

DAC mode just sets the volume at 0dB. Not sure what folks are hearing that make the claims you describe...
Haha, well, as said, I may be wrong, whether there is a sound difference or not switching between preamp or DAC mode.. Let's let you all hear and decide for yourself.
Whichever it is, at least different display than the -0.00dB is good to have XD

KaziQ

Hi,

I've got this unit reading the review here on this website. I did feel a difference over my Sound Blaster Z though it wasn't day and night. I am however pleased with the input choices and the overall performance is good.

My problem is when I choose 384 kHz sample rate from the Topping driver (latest from the website), the device stops working altogether. It doesn't output any sound from bluetooth either (haven't tried optical as I don't have a cable yet). It took me multiple on-off cycles

Thanks for the help folks. I am new here (my first post). I didn't want to create a new thread just yet.

KaziQ

HoJ76

Hi, I have some questions regarding the dx3.
How can I set it up to pure dac?
How can I see the bitrate on the display?

kukocz

Forum Donor
Hi, I have some questions regarding the dx3.
How can I set it up to pure dac?
How can I see the bitrate on the display?
Was discussed here many times :)
The answer is yes and in pure DAC mode the bitrate is displayed all the time.

Top Bottom