• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello I am new to this forum. Maybe this question has already been answered, if so my apologies.

I am thinking of buying either the SMSL SU-8 or the Topping DX3 Pro for use as a preamp- I have a Marantz 1070 integrated amp which has pre-out and main-in jumpers in the back allowing me to bypass the Marantz preamp. My source will be principally high-res audio files on an iPhone running Vox connected to the USB in via the CCK. My question pertains to default volume setting and whether the units recall the last volume setting when powered on. If volume always resets to max (e.g. 0.0 dB) than there is the concern that the music will come blasting on unless I manually lower volume (with remote) before starting a track, which would be sort of a nuisance. I am also concerned that at 0.0 dB the DAC may overload the Marantz power amp inputs. Can anyone shed light on this issue? Thanks!
DX3PRO always remembers the last volume setting unless you perform a factory reset.

Squidgy

DX3PRO always remembers the last volume setting unless you perform a factory reset.
Thank you. Now, I’m just stalled out over this Version 2 business, looking forward to updated test results.

uniscope

I’ve been using the DX3 Pro V2 for a few months now, USB to Mac but I haven’t experienced any of your issues.

maybe try to reset your DX3 also reset NVRAM on Mac?
I have reset DXPro. Problem still persists. And for the latter, please read what i wrote once again. This problem reproduces with any devices i connect: windows (bootcamp), mac, android, two different versions of iphone. everything. spotify, firefox, chrome, game, everything. So the safest bet here is that it's more likely that it's DX3Pro's problem, not my environment.

Its been a while since I posted here. Got my DX3 Pro (V1) a few months ago and been enjoying it since with no real issues besides an issue with a crappy OTG cable I had. Today I had my first real scary issue with this unit. Tried to play music from my Samsung S9 using a new OTG cable I had lying around. Music was playing fine today. I tried it again in the evening with the OTG, and I noticed a hum coming from the headphone output of the unit. I thought the android set up was glitchy using OTG so I unplugged it from the USB input of the DX3 but the hum continued. The sound seemed to disappear when I touched the actual unit with my hand, either on the actual outer casing or the back panel of the unit, that's when I realized it was some kind of electrical fault going on!! I immediately unplugged my IEMs and speakers from the RCA outs.

I got an old pair of IEMs that I didn't mind blowing, in order to continue listening for the hum. I tried swapping the unit to a different plug in the house, and the hum continued, I would immediately get electrical interference just tapping the IEM jack on the headphone output of the unit. I tried factory resetting it as well and that didnt work either. What was concerning as well is that I unplugged the unit from the wall and the hum would continue for a solid 5 seconds after the unit was powered off! Eventually, I decided to plug the unit back into my PC. The DX3 did its usual relay clicks to change the unit into 44.1kHz (it was previously at 192kHz when I was running audio from my S9 over OTG). The hum then disappeared after this. I plugged speakers back in and my normal IEMs, no hum from the RCA outs and the headphone out.

Does anyone know what the hell that was all about? Whatever that was, it seemed extremely dangerous. Should I ask to return this unit after this incident? Could it be something wrong I did?

patient_ot

Its been a while since I posted here. Got my DX3 Pro (V1) a few months ago and been enjoying it since with no real issues besides an issue with a crappy OTG cable I had. Today I had my first real scary issue with this unit. Tried to play music from my Samsung S9 using a new OTG cable I had lying around. Music was playing fine today. I tried it again in the evening with the OTG, and I noticed a hum coming from the headphone output of the unit. I thought the android set up was glitchy using OTG so I unplugged it from the USB input of the DX3 but the hum continued. The sound seemed to disappear when I touched the actual unit with my hand, either on the actual outer casing or the back panel of the unit, that's when I realized it was some kind of electrical fault going on!! I immediately unplugged my IEMs and speakers from the RCA outs.

I got an old pair of IEMs that I didn't mind blowing, in order to continue listening for the hum. I tried swapping the unit to a different plug in the house, and the hum continued, I would immediately get electrical interference just tapping the IEM jack on the headphone output of the unit. I tried factory resetting it as well and that didnt work either. What was concerning as well is that I unplugged the unit from the wall and the hum would continue for a solid 5 seconds after the unit was powered off! Eventually, I decided to plug the unit back into my PC. The DX3 did its usual relay clicks to change the unit into 44.1kHz (it was previously at 192kHz when I was running audio from my S9 over OTG). The hum then disappeared after this. I plugged speakers back in and my normal IEMs, no hum from the RCA outs and the headphone out.

Does anyone know what the hell that was all about? Whatever that was, it seemed extremely dangerous. Should I ask to return this unit after this incident? Could it be something wrong I did?

No idea what went front but if I were you I would contact the manufacturer about a replacement. It seems many of the V1s have problems sooner or later.

Toku

Major Contributor

I have purchased and used DX3Pro V1 at the same time as the release, but have experienced the same symptoms as you. That's the question.

What is a UNIT? Does it mean the same as DX3Pro?

Has the DX3Pro firmware been updated to the latest version?

The power off operation of DX3Pro goes to sleep mode and the power is not turned off.

Even if the AC power adapter is unplugged from the wall, it works for a few seconds with the charge of the condenser.

Is the power line hum surely coming out of IEM? Or is it noise?

I imagine from the text you posted that I had some kind of error in the connection between DX3Pro and Samsung S8 and the DX3Pro had continuous noise.
I think it's different from the DX3Pro V1 HP amp problem reported so far.

Bun-Bun

My DX3 Pro died last week from me shocking my chair 3 ft away from the DX3 Pro...

I ordered three replacements now, all V2, all garbage. Now I'm mad everyone complained about the relay clicking because they removed the silencing relays. The three units I received all make a loud pop through my speakers.

And two of them the volume knob was wonky, would skip or double actions randomly or sometimes go the wrong direction.

Needless to say I returned all them. I've given up on this unit.

Sucks cause DX3 Pro was like the perfect DAC/Amp combo for me :(

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My DX3 Pro died last week from me shocking my chair 3 ft away from the DX3 Pro...

I ordered three replacements now, all V2, all garbage. Now I'm mad everyone complained about the relay clicking because they removed the silencing relays. The three units I received all make a loud pop through my speakers.

And two of them the volume knob was wonky, would skip or double actions randomly or sometimes go the wrong direction.

Take it as a good sign to upgrade to a very reliable DAC/amp which is the RME ADI 2 Pro FS

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that is a wee bit out of my budget....

But I am definitely in the market for something better. < $800 CAD

Maybe a Sabaj D5 or DX7 Pro but I'm still wary with the reliability. Then again, with RME at least I would have a peace of mind of that thing not breaking down for next decade or so

Toku

Major Contributor
In Japan DX3Pro costs $ 230 and RME ADI-2 pro costs $ 1100 or more. This price difference makes no comparison!

TLDRonin

I was looking to buy a used DX3 Pro

I found someone selling a silver version with the serial number with the first 4 numbers being 1904. From what I've seen in this thread that means its v1, but the seller says its the LDAC version which should only be on the v2. Whats going on here?

Veri

Master Contributor
I was looking to buy a used DX3 Pro

I found someone selling a silver version with the serial number with the first 4 numbers being 1904. From what I've seen in this thread that means its v1, but the seller says its the LDAC version which should only be on the v2. Whats going on here?
Perhaps it's refurbished.

Last edited:
No idea what went front but if I were you I would contact the manufacturer about a replacement. It seems many of the V1s have problems sooner or later.

Yeah problem is I love the unit. It does exactly what I need it to and doesn't break the bank either. Well it stopped doing whatever it did last week, one of my friends reckons it was some kind of weird grounding issue that went away when I replugged the DX3 back into my PC

I have purchased and used DX3Pro V1 at the same time as the release, but have experienced the same symptoms as you. That's the question.

What is a UNIT? Does it mean the same as DX3Pro?

Has the DX3Pro firmware been updated to the latest version?

The power off operation of DX3Pro goes to sleep mode and the power is not turned off.

Even if the AC power adapter is unplugged from the wall, it works for a few seconds with the charge of the condenser.

Is the power line hum surely coming out of IEM? Or is it noise?

I imagine from the text you posted that I had some kind of error in the connection between DX3Pro and Samsung S8 and the DX3Pro had continuous noise.
I think it's different from the DX3Pro V1 HP amp problem reported so far.

Yes Unit is DX3.

Yes I have latest firmware and drivers.

Yeah I gathered there are probably capacitors in the unit that keep it on for a few seconds after unplugging (just find it weird that the noise continued even after unplugging)

I tested two IEMs, both had the terrible electrical hum.

Shocking your chair?

Bun-Bun

Shocking your chair?

Yeah my office is so dry when I to my chair and grab the arm rest to sit down I get a shock from the metal portion underneath. This then goes through the air to my desk and my monitors will power cycle and my keyboard/mouse will go haywire and this one time it fried my DX3 Pro...

Top Bottom