• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

2ko

I appears that M3 uses an analogue potentiometer to handle volume, while DX3Pro uses digital. I guess it's different ways of volume handling that can't be compared directly.
Ahh I see...so I guess -30db is normal(enjoyable) volume out with DX3Pro. Thanks for the replies. Appreciated! :)

cenix

you installed the topping driver and WASAPI?
You tried using Foobar2000? Here's a tutorial to setup I found.
Is it the heaphone output, the DAC output or both?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I did install the topping drivers version 4.47. Full name: "Topping_UsbAudio_v4.47.0_setup".

I also have the WASAPI plugin installed on Foobar. I think that's all I need? I don't know how to install WASAPI standalone.

Regarding the output setting. I have it on headphone only. I use line-out/DAC for my speakers. I believe that dual output, line-out + headphone gives lower volume for headphone?

I am using the Tin Hifi P1 as well as a couple other IEMs. With the P1, I need to set the volume all the way to -15 or -10 (depending on the music and format in order to get "decent volume". I know that the P1s are sorta difficult to drive. Still, I didn't expect it to be this bad. Even my LG V30 + Fiio E10 has an easier time driving it.

I generally put it around 45 to 35, -30 is already loud.
everything higher than -30dB will cause hearing damage in the long run.
(HD25)

I know, it seems a bit "weird". Really hope we don't have a bad batch or straight up defect units (I don't think that's the case). Did you order it from Amazon as well?

2ko

Regarding the output setting. I have it on headphone only. I use line-out/DAC for my speakers. I believe that dual output, line-out + headphone gives lower volume for headphone?
The output setting doesn't matter on mine. I tried all 4 output modes and the output is the same(low) for headphone.

cenix

The output setting doesn't matter on mine. I tried all 4 output modes and the output is the same(low) for headphone.

You are right. Dual output or just headphone(amp mode) provide for the same volume output.

The volume it outputs is a problem for my Tin P1. Really expected more.

Reactions: 2ko

Gray

I know, it seems a bit "weird". Really hope we don't have a bad batch or straight up defect units (I don't think that's the case). Did you order it from Amazon as well?

Yep.

If you got the same problem with regular headphones your unit must be bad.

cenix

Yep.

If you got the same problem with regular headphones your unit must be bad.

You say that 45-35 is already loud enough for your Sennheiser HD-25. Do you put it on +9 gain or just normal mode? Also, do you have version 1 or 2?

Also, the +9 gain mode comes with quite a bit of hiss.

Last edited:

Gray

I got the V2 and never put it on high gain mode.
My HD 25 (closed) goes plenty loud around -40dB.
My HD 558 (open) actually the same -40dB

The DX3 pro uses the -Db scale as volume which is not the same as 0-100, so from -5db to 0 it's a MUCH louder difference in hearing than going from -100 to -95dB
1568542357252.png

If a regular headphone is still not loud enough at 0db there is a problem.

cenix

I got the V2 and never put it on high gain mode.
My HD 25 (closed) goes plenty loud around -40dB.
My HD 558 (open) actually the same -40dB

The DX3 pro uses the -Db scale as volume which is not the same as 0-100, so from -5db to 0 it's a MUCH louder difference in hearing than going from -100 to -95dB
View attachment 33409

If a regular headphone is still not loud enough at 0db there is a problem.

This sounds absolutely bonkers to me. I tried the KZ ZSN Pro at -40 and it's really quiet. So, I'm surprised how a 70ohm headphone can be loud enough at -40. Or you must have a hyper-sensitive hearing. Since we are both using the USB-mode, this is very strange. I would almost say that mine is defective or yours is abnormally loud.

Gray

(I developed hearing damage over the years, so I don't tolerate loud music anymore.)
I tried -20dB, I could not stand it longer than 8seconds, but 0dB is even much louder.

Maybe other people could share their experience too?

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Using my Focal Clears I pretty much never use high gain but I come close to using 0 dB on the volume control for some songs that are more quiet but usually I use it around -20 dB in low gain.

cenix

(I developed hearing damage over the years, so I don't tolerate loud music anymore.)
I tried -20dB, I could not stand it longer than 8seconds, but 0dB is even much louder.

Maybe other people could share their experience too?

I think that only @2ko is the other one who has the same "complaint" as me. He thinks that he's not loud enough either.

Using my Focal Clears I pretty much never use high gain but I come close to using 0 dB on the volume control for some songs that are more quiet but usually I use it around -20 dB in low gain.

Thank you for sharing, it gives me a better perspective.

So, at the moment, I'm using it around -10 or -5dB. If I play with the equalizer a bit, like decreasing the pre-amp (by about 6-8 dB) and increasing the lower frequencies, it won't get loud enough even at -0dB.

I also find that going into high gain changes the sound signature. The smoothness that you find in the low gain is not present anymore. So, I will avoid high gain where possible.

Even my LG V30 manages similar output compared to the DX3 Pro. So, I think that I might return it and go for a standalone DAC and AMP.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
I think that only @2ko is the other one who has the same "complaint" as me. He thinks that he's not loud enough either.

Thank you for sharing, it gives me a better perspective.

So, at the moment, I'm using it around -10 or -5dB. If I play with the equalizer a bit, like decreasing the pre-amp (by about 6-8 dB) and increasing the lower frequencies, it won't get loud enough even at -0dB.

I also find that going into high gain changes the sound signature. The smoothness that you find in the low gain is not present anymore. So, I will avoid high gain where possible.

Even my LG V30 manages similar output compared to the DX3 Pro. So, I think that I might return it and go for a standalone DAC and AMP.
You could always just add a JDS Atom if you feel like you need more power since the DX3 is a really good DAC on it's own with a nice remote and display that you probably won't find in a cheaper DAC.

cenix

You could always just add a JDS Atom if you feel like you need more power since the DX3 is a really good DAC on it's own with a nice remote and display that you probably won't find in a cheaper DAC.

If I was living in the US, I would have owned a JDS ATOM by now. Fact is that for people outside of the US, there is a hefty import cost + shipping, to where the ATOM is going to cost me just about twice the price (around $200), if I were to order one from the US. Even the ones sold on German Amazon costs twice the amount. If this wasn't the case, then I would have bought the Topping D30 + ATOM in a heartbeat.
---------------
Regarding the output choice for the DX3 in foobar, I find the ASIO drivers that you can download from Topping's site far superior than WASAPI (event). The music (I mostly listen to trance) sounds more dynamic and bass is more pronounced. With the WASAPI, it sounds very flat and lifeless. This is my experience with the Tin Hifi P1.

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
If I was living in the US, I would have owned a JDS ATOM by now. Fact is that for people outside of the US, there is a hefty import cost + shipping, to where the ATOM is going to cost me just about twice the price (around $200), if I were to order one from the US. Even the ones sold on German Amazon costs twice the amount. If this wasn't the case, then I would have bought the Topping D30 + ATOM in a heartbeat.
---------------

If you hurry and order before the brexit :

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/jds-labs-atom-headphone-amplifier-uk-plug.html

;)

cenix

mateoJazz

Hi. My 1905 has arrived. I can't turn on Line out/Dac d-1 setting. After restart Dx3 stay in Preamp Mode. When playing 96kHz file display show 88,2. Is this normal?

sawe

I am using the Tin Hifi P1 as well as a couple other IEMs. With the P1, I need to set the volume all the way to -15 or -10 (depending on the music and format in order to get "decent volume". I know that the P1s are sorta difficult to drive. Still, I didn't expect it to be this bad. Even my LG V30 + Fiio E10 has an easier time driving it.

Hi, I have same gear myself:
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee
Linsoul TIN HiFi P1
Topping DX3 Pro

I listen with low gain and depending the song, I go between -20 even to -8.

cenix

Hi. My 1905 has arrived. I can't turn on Line out/Dac d-1 setting. After restart Dx3 stay in Preamp Mode. When playing 96kHz file display show 88,2. Is this normal?

This doesn't sound normal, maybe others in here who are more knowledgeable than I am can concur. To change from pre-amp to DAC, you need to turn off and pull the power cord from the DX3. After that, press and hold-in the volume knob while inserting the power cord again.

Hi, I have same gear myself:
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee
Linsoul TIN HiFi P1
Topping DX3 Pro

I listen with low gain and depending the song, I go between -20 even to -8.

Man, this is a 20ohm headphone and it's more difficult to drive than some >100ohm headphones. Nevertheless, there is really not a lot of headroom in DX3 in low gain for those kinds of equipment. If I lower the pre-amp by a little (to boost bass) and increase the frequencies until around 500, low gain is simply not sufficient.

Do you think that WASAPI event sounds... boring? I have switched between ASIO, WASAPI event and push. I prefer them in the order of: ASIO>push>event.

The sound in ASIO is more crisp and "responsive" and "dynamic. This is also the case in WASAPI push, but to a lesser degree. In WASAPI event it just sounds boring..... flat. At first I thought that it must have been placebo, but after doing a blind test, I can still hear the differences. This is what I experienced with the P1, it could of course be very different depending on what you use.

mateoJazz

After a few restarts unit switched up to DAC. Coud you test some 96kHz file and give me report what shows your units ?

pacman

Fellows, what filter are you using?

Clearly 4 and 5 are different from the rest (4 haves a little oomp on bass) but I can't tell about the others.

Top Bottom