• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

artburda

So the Line Out behaviour is new? Can you see if there’s been a firmware change? That’s a pretty big deal if it’s different and fixes what many have complained about.
Yes, it's new. My old unit, 1901, goes to full line out by pressing the line out button a second time. I'll see if I have the time and opportunity to check the firmware version of the new unit. Bought it for my father. I only did a quick test at home to see if it works at all. If I have the time to test it with a computer, I'll let you know which firmware version it has. But I'm sure others will post it as well :)

I just received a second DX3, serial nr. 1905. Finally, they solved the full line out issue when you make a second click on the line out button. It stays always in pre-amp mode, so no more risk of going full line out by accident :)
So it doesn't have line-out anymore?

Gray

Ah, I just noticed they updated the manual with new graphs. 2019/6/5
So Topping is keeping it fair.

Gray

foto_no_exif01.jpg
foto_no_exif01.jpg
foto_no_exif111.jpg
foto_no_exif01.jpgfoto_no_exif111.jpg

Gray

So it seems headphone output impedance went up <10ohm vs <0.08ohm in the old version.
output voltage dropped from 1000mW to 700mW

If somebody got the 2 versions I'm curious about their comparison :)

Last edited:

sakt1moko

Hi all, and congrats for this post and the forum
I just ordered a dx3pro from aliexpress and ive got a couple of questions.

1. Any chance to make this DAC portable, or maybe and adapter to make it work with the power of a usb from the pc? I look for some cable "dc to usb" and I didnt find any that works on 15V/1A
2. Some advice to get a nice power supple from aliexpress?
3. Link to the latest firmware?

Music1969

Major Contributor
So it seems headphone output impedance went up <10ohm vs <0.08ohm in the old version.
output voltage dropped from 1000mW to 700mW

If somebody got the 2 versions I'm curious about their comparison :)

First thing I noticed too. It was mentioned there is a different headamp chip (TI) in there too.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Changing to tpa6120 loses the whole point of this dac/amp combo. If you use it as pure dac that's ok. But the amp is where this combo shined. It's as good as atom in measurements.
I can only now recommend the new d50s + atom now.

EarlZ

Between the Topping DX3 Pro & SMSL SU-8 which of the two is better in terms of audio quality?

I dont really need balanced outputs but my powered speakers can take in balanced XLR.

I am a newbie to this hobby and my use case is around 85% PC gaming and the rest is music playback via Spotify.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Between the Topping DX3 Pro & SMSL SU-8 which of the two is better in terms of audio quality?

I dont really need balanced outputs but my powered speakers can take in balanced XLR.

I am a newbie to this hobby and my use case is around 85% PC gaming and the rest is music playback via Spotify.
d50s

Music1969

Major Contributor
Changing to tpa6120 loses the whole point of this dac/amp combo. If you use it as pure dac that's ok. But the amp is where this combo shined. It's as good as atom in measurements.

Agreed. For a combo DAC+Headamp, I'll pass on DX3 Pro and wait for DX7 Pro...

Gray

It does have full line out, you just adjust it to 0.0 db in pre-amp mode.

I noticed it has another menu setting where you can change the "line out mode" setting.
By default it's on "pre-amp" now, but you could also choose the old "I like to live dangerously"-method of direct line out. :)

Actually it has some more new settings, you can turn off the bluetooth now.
set.jpg

Overal I think the dx3 pro is finally mature now, it's tested and tweaked thoroughly and it has a protection circuit now, which is a good thing.
Downside is that in order to do so they replaced the OPA2140 with the TPA6120A2 so the excellent graphs in the beginning of this threat don't count anymore. :(

Last edited:

Yuno

Depends on your needs. Ultra low impedance output only matters if you actually plan using low impedance headphones in your system, and even then a lot of desktop headphones that are low impedance is mostly unaffected by ~10 output impedance. For instance, I have been using HD600 in my system for a long time now and have no plans of changing that, 10Ohm output impedance is more than fine for me, as long as I get actually reliable and safe product with this.

Jimmy

Does this mean that they didn't use any kind of headphone protection?, I hope that the new DX7 pro doesn't use a TPA6120 solution, too, I don't know how much THX charges for licensing their design, but if it's not too much it may be the best solution for small manufacturers.

Hi so according to topping service they have been released the V2 with the following upgrades:
1. Bluetooth has been added to LDAC support and it is certified by Hi-Res Audio Wireless.
2, with the headphone protection circuit
3, most of the relay are changed to electronic switch, further reducing click noise
4. Replace the headphone amplifier with the TPA6120A2.
5, Internal power supply upgraded

The SN number of V2 is begin from 1905 or higher, and V2 have both Hi-Res Audio sticker and Hi-Res Audio Wireless sticker.

Would love to see how it compares to the original unit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , are you getting a v2 model to test soon? We’re all on pins and needles here!
I have not asked for one. I worry that all of our complaining may have led to a lower performing device......

Top Bottom