• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

While I'm waiting for my DX3 to arrive, can anyone answer this question?:

Once it's connected over USB, does/can the Windows volume control do anything? I ask because my keyboard has volume control keys that trigger the native Windows functionality and I'd love to keep using it, big clicky DX3 knob or not.
I believe you can control the volume at both Window and DX3 unit. Try it later since you have purchased it :p

It goes into the same subsystem as PCM. So it reasons that it converts to PCM there, changes volume and outputs as PCM.
I believe you can control the volume at both Window and DX3 unit. Try it later since you have purchased it :p
Not on ASIO with "no volume" RCA output. I have to use the volume on the receiver. No software volume on window , player software or DX3

Not on ASIO with "no volume" RCA output. I have to use the volume on the receiver. No software volume on window , player software or DX3
My bad, I am not using ASIO or WASAPI, but using Aries Mini, can control volume from their Lightning DS apps and Roon apps. I can control the volume (dB) on DX3 Pro at DAC Pre-Amp, headphone mode. Usually I fix the volume (-30dB) at DX3 Pro and using integrated amplifier remote control to control the sound volume , need to crank up volume a lot though.

I have a speaker that can connect via RCA OR 3.5mm jack (Logitech Z323 ). The 3.5mm jack is the normal mode that I use to connect it to my notebook, in the headphone output. Can I connect this speaker (it is powered with directly in the wall socket) by using the headphone out 3.5mm of the topping DX3 pro ?

JohnYang1997

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a speaker that can connect via RCA OR 3.5mm jack (Logitech Z323 ). The 3.5mm jack is the normal mode that I use to connect it to my notebook, in the headphone output. Can I connect this speaker (it is powered with directly in the wall socket) by using the headphone out 3.5mm of the topping DX3 pro ?
Either.

Can anyone kindly confirm the current output of the stock included AC-to-15Vdc power adapter?

And is it a 5.5 x 2.1 mm DC plug?

It doesn't come with a plug for my country and I don't want to use an international AC adapter, so will source a good SMPS.

Probably a Mean Well or IdealPower UK.

JohnYang1997

Can anyone kindly confirm the current output of the stock included AC-to-15Vdc power adapter?

And is it a 5.5 x 2.1 mm DC plug?

It doesn't come with a plug for my country and I don't want to use an international AC adapter, so will source a good SMPS.

Probably a Mean Well or IdealPower UK.
The stock external power supply is good enough proven by single channel driven has same output of both channel driven.
And about the spec, 1A 15Vdc inner positive 2.1mm plug. You can pickup whatever that has the same polarity+same voltage+not less current.

JohnYang1997

Zout.PNG
Measured with 8ohm load and no load. 0.1-0.2db difference. I took 2% difference. So 2% * 8ohm is 0.16ohm across the board. Really nice and consistent.
Edit: no i read it wrong. It's lower than 0.1db So 0.1ohm and less.
As the chip topology it's delta-sigma so basically it has to over sampling to a very high frequency. Idk the frequency exactly but you can get hint from the oscillator. I'm not an expert in that regard so I'll leave it as is.

JohnYang1997

Hi, did you end up trying a 25Vdc external power supply?
The output of regular is fixed. Using high voltage makes not difference.
And I saw in the notification maybe you have changed, that power bank will eliminate ground related noise. Actually the smps are double insulated so already no ground noise to pass through. Sure you may try it may still function well. You just won't see improvement.

JohnYang1997

But SMPS's can be sources of AC leakage current? A battery will not?
SMPS runs at very high frequency so not a problem. In fact, power bank also has smps in side to make sure the voltage is constant.
There may be some leakage but not an actual concern if the design was complied to safety standard as far as I know.

Top Bottom