• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
PCM is superior to DSD.
DSD when converted to analog will have high freq noise, so you need low-pass filter.
DSD is very hard to process with sound apps.
PCM is very easy to process.
Who introduced DSD? Sony
Why if existing PCM is already superior? Why no other companies have good apps to work with DSD?
You can answer yourself - copyright protection and profit.
Here goes your DSD!
I would expect only a small number of recording studios to have equipment able to do that. And why would they, when there's no obvious advantage to PCM.

hrbngr

When using the Topping DX3Pro as a DAC and connecting it to the THX AAA 789 amp, would i be going PC USB into Topping DAC USB, DAC SE out to THX SE Input, then SE or Balanced out to Headphone?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When using the Topping DX3Pro as a DAC and connecting it to the THX AAA 789 amp, would i be going PC USB into Topping DAC USB, DAC SE out to THX SE Input, then SE or Balanced out to Headphone?
Correct.

hrbngr

Amir,
thanks again for the quick replies. I'm still considering that unobtanium $9999 to fix the Jotunheim grounding issue, but based on your reviews, it seems like i should wait for the new gear to come in first before even worrying about the Schitt gear.

Oh, just to be clear, the Topping and THX don't have any sort of hum/grounding issues, so i can stop using the Wyrd USB (fix badly designed Schitt DAC and AMP stuff) right?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh, just to be clear, the Topping and THX don't have any sort of hum/grounding issues, so i can stop using the Wyrd USB (fix badly designed Schitt DAC and AMP stuff) right?
Whenever you use unbalanced connections, you have the potential for ground loops. If you want to safeguard against that, then you should get a DAC with balanced outputs.

hrbngr

Affordable balanced DAC? Reviewed your list, uncertain which is balance besides SMSL D1---too pricey!

Krunok

Major Contributor
Who likes Jazz knows that the SACDs from direct DSD recordings, which were issued by DMP Digital Music Products, are the best around.
There was no editing within a track or song.

Yes, they are, but not because of DSD. They are the best because they were recorded well and they would sound equally well if they were recorded with PCM.

kukocz

Forum Donor
I wen't through user manual and I'm curious about few things:

1. There are two spec tables, one for DAC and one for headphone output. Amirm's measurement showed that SINAD for headphone output is slightly better. Tech spec shows that noise, channel crosstalk and channel balance parameters are better for output: DAC. Interesting...

I would like to use DX3 Pro as a preamp and I'm wondering which output would be better from technical perspective. From usability (and safety) side it seems to be better to use headphone output as it always stays adjustable. Line output could be accidentally fixed causing full gain... I wish Topping could update firmware and make this setting adjustable only in setting interface (like few other options - *Tips section in user guide).

2. Headphone output has two gain modes. Does it have influence on RCA output too? (in preamp mode)

3. @amirm you measured headphone impedance as ~1ohm (against <0.1ohm in spec). What is the output impedance for RCA?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
3. @amirm you measured headphone impedance as ~1ohm (against <0.1ohm in spec). What is the output impedance for RCA?
I don't measure line out. It is not a problem usually as the headphone can be.

Bliman

I saw that some were interested in the company "Topping" and if they are reliable.
I am not saying it is definitive and maybe I have just bad luck. But I have mailed them for three times now and I don't get an answer from them.
That for me is also negative? So it seems they have many issues in communication (a bad website, bad manual,warranty, etc...).
I just wanted to inform who were interested in how reliable they are.
Does anyone know if they have someone of the company here on the forum?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does anyone know if they have someone of the company here on the forum?
No, they are not on the forum. Sometimes answers take a few days. But yes, this is one of the drawbacks of buying a product from them.

Bliman

No, they are not on the forum. Sometimes answers take a few days. But yes, this is one of the drawbacks of buying a product from them.
Yeah. It doesn't draw confidence in the product if there is not a great communication channel beneath it.
Especially if you are already struggling against the perception of a Chinese company.
I presume you have used their products for a long time now? Do you have had trouble with their products?

Wolven

Just got my Dx3pro, unfortunately it came with round plugs.
It says the converter is good for 100-240VAC.
So, if I buy an adapter for US/Canada it should work no problem right?
Would it need 3rd peg, or just 2?

Last edited:

Dmitry

Just got my Dx3pro, unfortunately it came with round plugs.
It says the converter is good for 100-240VAC.
So, if I buy an adapter for US/Canada it should work no problem right?
Would it need 3rd peg, or just 2?

Maybe you can buy a converter

Attachments

• 261.jpg
    261.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 130

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you can buy a converter

That’s an adaptor, not a converter ;)

Yes, that's what I'm thinking to get, but I'm not sure if it should be like the one in your picture or one with an extra 3rd prong.

The third prong is there for safety. If the wall wart you’ve got from Topping has 3 prongs, get a 3-pronged adaptor.

mejobloggs

Noob here... I just ordered off massdrop and now I'm thinking...

Does the DX3 PRO plug into the wall power? If so, will it work in my country?

New Zealand power and power plugs

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I just ordered off massdrop and now I'm thinking...

Does the DX3 PRO plug into the wall power? If so, will it work in my country?

New Zealand power and power plugs
You might need an adapter like above^

Top Bottom