• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

derp1n

Interesting. I read this as though I can power and adjust the volume for headphones, and have the line out going at the same time.
The line out volume is also affected.

pii75

I see very little reason for line out non-variable anyway, it's just 100 volume line out.

There could be a reason in fixed line out, that is the skipping of the digital attenuator at all. This makes a difference for DSD files playback only, because with digital attenuator active (even at 100% volume) stream is converted to PCM, while without the attenuator DSD can be played nativily without any conversion. Look at AKM4493 block diagaram:

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4493EQ

with DSDD bit set to 1 DSD stream data path bypass the digital attenuator and delta sigma modulator.

But I don't know if DX3 works in this mode when when set in DAC mode...

GAP

Of course you can. Question was if you can listen to the headphones and have fixed line output at the same time.

But I understand Alex Rus question as "Is it possible to listen to DSD through headphone out without it being converted to PCM before analog conversion?"

Krunok

Major Contributor
But I understand Alex Rus question as "Is it possible to listen to DSD through headphone out without it being converted to PCM before analog conversion?"

Yes, it's possible. That is the point of DSD capable DACs. They convert DSD directly to analog and send analog to the headphone amp and line-out.

pii75

Of course the DAC is able to play DSD in both case, with and without volume control, but if the volume control is active the DSD stream passes throw the attenuator (PCM) and delta sigma modulator, while without volume control these elaboration can be skipped. All this stuff is internal to the chip, so no need of any conversion outside, DSD is native supported by AKM 4493

Krunok

Major Contributor
Of course the DAC is able to play DSD in both case, with and without volume control, but if the volume control is active the DSD stream passes throw the attenuator (PCM) and delta sigma modulator, while without volume control these elaboration can be skipped. All this stuff is internal to the chip, so no need of any conversion outside, DSD is native supported by AKM 4493

DSD fans often forget that mixing and volume control are not an easy tasks with DSD. I wonder have they ever asked themselves how reasonable is to believe that DSD was never converted to PCM during production and then converted back to DSD when everything is done.. :D

Veri

Master Contributor
DSD fans often forget that mixing and volume control are not an easy tasks with DSD. I wonder have they ever asked themselves how reasonable is to believe that DSD was never converted to PCM during production and then converted back to DSD when everything is done.. :D
Unless something specifies it is recorded and mastered straight to DSD, you can expect at least a couple of conversions along the way, yes.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Unless something specifies it is recorded and mastered straight to DSD, you can expect at least a couple of conversions along the way, yes.

I would expect only a small number of recording studios to have equipment able to do that. And why would they, when there's no obvious advantage to PCM.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I would expect only a small number of recording studios to have equipment able to do that. And why would they, when there's no obvious advantage to PCM.
Even worse: Not only is DSD much larger, as a 1-bit stream it can't even be dithered perfectly. IMHO choosing this obscure format for SACD was more about deterring copying even beyond encryption than any actual technical benefits. Remember what was going on at the time: Copying CDs was getting popular, as were filesharing services.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just ordered new DX3Pro off ebay for $158.94 with free shipping.

$186 - 15% off site wide coupon (today only PICKFAST to use on app) = $158.94. Delivery estimated 12/5 to 12/21 to USA (we'll see).Seller was Topssell.

Been reading with interest the last couple of months discussions on amps and dacs for my HD6XX, decided to pull the trigger on this one box unit based on Amirm's review and features I wanted.

Also, FYI, I spoke with JDS Labs as was also considering the new ATOM amp. Great service when I cancelled my order, we got into a discussion and he said there is no timetable yet for a new DAC to replace OL DAC, but current OL DAC will be part of a Black Friday sale 11/23.

Thanks for letting me join the club!

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Even worse: Not only is DSD much larger, as a 1-bit stream it can't even be dithered perfectly.

You're exactly right ! ;)
In an interview, Tom Jung, founder of the "DMP Digital Music Products", one of the first digital recording labels, declared that editing destroys the spontaneity of the music and that is why he never edited.
He was a pioneer in the Super Audio CD (SACD).
With the DSD recording the editing options are limited.
Who likes Jazz knows that the SACDs from direct DSD recordings, which were issued by DMP Digital Music Products, are the best around.
There was no editing within a track or song.
On the other hand ... PCM is a far better recording choice than DSD if your audio project requires dubbing, EQ corrections, intensive dithering, oversampling, distortion adjustment, so all sort of the "diabolic" digital treatments for which the final version of audio that goes onto a compact disc is more the product issued by the audio engineers rather than the artists. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

john100a

There are two dedicated buttons. One has a headphone symbol and hitting it enables headphone.

Then there is another button for line out. Hitting that at first, gives you variable output. Hitting it again will give you fixed. It will keep toggling that way.

I just put the remote next to it and navigate that way. It is small, attractive and great for changing things.

Ok so, I hit headphone button once, its on headphones. I hit line it once, it puts pre-outs. I hit headphones again, it goes to headphones, then I hit line-out again, what does it do there?

@Yuno you're absolutely right, this little messing around with the remote/etc is what keeping me from buying this. I wanted a simple unit that was capable of a reliable output switching, not having to guess/cycle each time. What a let down Topping... I hope they release a firmware update.

n2it

I think most DSD fans do understand the recording limitations. Like all things audio, quality does depend upon the source, and there are DSD options that have no or very limited PCM overdubs. In any case, if I have a DSD source, I see no reason to convert it (and as you say possibly again) to PCM.

So whether you agree or not with DSD, it is a very objective question to ask about how it flows through the DAC and if it could be subject to additional loss/attenuation due to a PCM conversion for volume control.

TheReal14O

What is the full range of the volume? Does it just go all the way down to -99 db from 0 db?

I listen to my music very low most of the time. I'm trying to find an amp/dac that has a very good range of low volume where it doesn't get too loud too quickly (like most amps where people don't go past 11-12 o'clock). Would this be ideal?

Top Bottom