• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

gvl

Major Contributor
@TP-Wong, this is unrelated to the issues being discussed here, but I have a failed DX7s and would like to purchase a replacement main board shipped to the USA, can Topping accommodate such a request?

@TP-Wong, never mind, Topping support responded and gave me some options.

chrisliuboy

Your unit and @Wolven 's unit is quite special, we never received this kind of report before. How about sending back to us for analysis? I will pay back you shipping fee and send new unit to you. I think 2 units will be enough.
Hi Mr Wong, I think random turn-off is a more common issue than the "Opa 2140" problem, the random turn-off frequency of my unit is once a month (for 5 month) during normal use. It's not a big problem for my daily use but just FYI. Thanks for the effort.

vicksaint

Your unit and @Wolven 's unit is quite special, we never received this kind of report before. How about sending back to us for analysis? I will pay back you shipping fee and send new unit to you. I think 2 units will be enough.

Dear TP-Wong,
I had the unfortunate idea of buying a DX3 Pro, the serial number for your reference was 1901594466 (beginning of February) and in just 2 weeks of use the DX3 Pro enter in standby mode 3 times, the last time nor the standby screen dot point was visible, the equipment looked completely dead, I had to unplug it from the power and leave it off for over 60 minutes for the DX3 Pro to wake up again.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-and-headphone-amp.4967/page-149#post-154044

I finally lost all confidence in this equipment and asked for a refund to "Shenzhen Audio", they already received the equipment (at least two weeks ago, please contact Alisa Luo) and "Shenzhen Audio" said that it would be sent to TOPPING, so I do not understand how can you say you are unaware of this problem!

This experience with your products was terrible, and I ended up losing a lot of money in taxes, customs and returning costs.
For all this I do not recommend Topping products anymore to anyone and I have lost any confidence in the resolution of any problems related to your products.

WillOGod

Is the relay clicking still considered to be an open issue? I received a DX3 Pro in January from Massdrop. It apparently had 1.04 firmware already, but flashed it anyway. Clicking drives me nuts, mostly when idle, but sometimes I have to shut it down for a bit to get it to work with a signal.

Mostly using it with an optical connection and headphones: Mac Pro >> DX3 Pro >> HE4XX

(First post, never had shutdown issue, otherwise very happy with it.)

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
I've been away from this thread for a while, my 2 units have been working well since Christmas. I turn the one in my living room on and off every time I use it as it's part of a Harmony activity so I don't experience the shut off issue but I never have it on very long without a signal... The one in my office that's connected to my PC via USB will turn off rarely after a long time if I don't have my PC on. Otherwise the unit works great. I don't mind having to turn it on again lol.

I haven't read the thread for the last few 10's of pages, is having the unit power down when there's no usb signal to it for a while a sign of a bigger problem or is it just a tiny inconvenience?

gypsygib

I haven't read the thread for the last few 10's of pages, is having the unit power down when there's no usb signal to it for a while a sign of a bigger problem or is it just a tiny inconvenience?

Pretty sure that's normal functioning. Auto-shutdown can be toggled off as well.

agjell

Forum Donor
Hey @amirm, would it be possible to measure the 50 mV SNR for the DX3 (and possibly the THX AAA 789 if you have it)? Would be nice to add those to the graph, as they have become benchmarks in a few areas :)

uppsju

This thread has been a very good (if long) read. It helped me actually go for the Dx3Pro in the end. Coming from a Micca Origen+ I actually do hear an improvement in audio. There is just one thing which I haven't been able to figure out.
With my Origen+, I could set it as the default audio device, which meant that when I turned it off Windows would revert to using my speakers, and vice versa when I turned the Origen+ back on. Quite handy as I was using the Origen+ for headset only.

It seems that Windows is always aware of the Dx3Pro, even in standby mode, so I have to manually select which device should play audio. It's a small inconvenience, but if someone has an idea as to what I should change this would be very welcome :)

juzio

This thread has been a very good (if long) read. It helped me actually go for the Dx3Pro in the end. Coming from a Micca Origen+ I actually do hear an improvement in audio. There is just one thing which I haven't been able to figure out.
With my Origen+, I could set it as the default audio device, which meant that when I turned it off Windows would revert to using my speakers, and vice versa when I turned the Origen+ back on. Quite handy as I was using the Origen+ for headset only.

It seems that Windows is always aware of the Dx3Pro, even in standby mode, so I have to manually select which device should play audio. It's a small inconvenience, but if someone has an idea as to what I should change this would be very welcome :)

If you turn power OFF (pull the plug not a standby) Dx3 Pro will behave the way you describe.

peterq

I bought a dx3 pro recently, and will see is there any reliability issue of it, serial number starts with 1902. Currently I'm happy with the output from this little toy.

JASM

Out of curiosity, could anyone confirm if the PS4 can detect the DX3 Pro via USB? I'd like to see if the PS4 plays nice with an XMOS U8 audio device.

Thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey @amirm, would it be possible to measure the 50 mV SNR for the DX3 (and possibly the THX AAA 789 if you have it)? Would be nice to add those to the graph, as they have become benchmarks in a few areas :)
Yes, I need to go back and do that.....

david99

I received also new one from so called "new batch" they are claiming. Serial starting also 1902 so far it is powered on already few days in row non stop and so far no problem. Will see.

Toku

Major Contributor
I received also new one from so called "new batch" they are claiming. Serial starting also 1902 so far it is powered on already few days in row non stop and so far no problem. Will see.
Topping has not yet dealt with sleep symptoms. It is necessary to look at the situation for one to three months.

david99

Topping has not yet dealt with sleep symptoms. It is necessary to look at the situation for one to three months.
I fully agree, I'm also very interested if I will encounter any sleep symptom in future. But it could be possible that faulty OPA2140 (not faulty to state that it is inoperable) is also responsible for those random sleep issue. But that is only pure speculation form my side.

frankh

My DX3 Pro purchased from Massdrop 1+ month ago starts with 190159****. Is this the old batch? As of this moment, I'm enjoying my DX3 Pro without a single problem.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
My DX3 Pro purchased from Massdrop 1+ month ago starts with 190159****. Is this the old batch? As of this moment, I'm enjoying my DX3 Pro without a single problem.
1901 as well,picked it up March 2nd,no problem,never set it to standby mode.Brought it from Massdrop

letsgoo

Hi, is there any possibility to check if this DSD really can handle with 768Khz and DSD512?
For D10, it was able to play with 384Khz over Windows(I know. It is not the real 384 but the signal anyway yes and I could check that D10 really works with 384Khz) but this one also can only play with 384Khz and not with 768Khz on Sound control panel.
Is there a new driver for windows which at least "simulates" as if i was using 768Khz?

Everything is working fine, I just want to check if it really handles with the promised sample rates.

letsgoo

One more question, is there any possibility to let the display show the current sample rate and not the dB?
And why is the headphone sign blinking the whole time?

Yuno

And why is the headphone sign blinking the whole time?
Because you have it in RCA+headphones mode (activated with middle button)

One more question, is there any possibility to let the display show the current sample rate and not the dB?
You have to set it to DAC mode (2 clicks on line out button), that will switch it to non-volume controlled RCA output, meaning it will play at 100% volume. In other modes there is no way to show sample rate at all times, and that would not even be reasonable in a DAC with digital volume control, since display is the only volume indicator. It only briefly shows sample rates when you actually switch them.

Top Bottom