• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
No. This was studied at Harman and found the difference in frequency response was negligible once the driver was put in a box. Dr. Toole says it best in his book:

index.php
What he is writing is correct, but not every single circumstance. For example very old (vintage) drivers with accordion surrounds can be very stiff after years storage etc. The resonance frequency will change with use.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Are you electrical engineer ?

There's a big difference between working as an engineer with high precision and/or power circuits in the realm of RF, and working with "simple" audio.

When working with RF you have to account for the fact that EVERYTHING becomes a filter at high enough frequencies and that all kinds of parasitic effects come to play. But practically none of these "electrical engineering problems" have any impact below 20kHz (or 100kHz for that matter).

One of the snake oil vendor's favorite tricks is to cherry pick some phenomenon that's a genuine PITA for a NASA engineer trying to make a satellite do nearly impossible things, and claim that this specific phenomenon is also a real hindrance in the pursuit of "audio nivana", when in fact it's completely irrelevant. It's based on 'engineering', so it has to be true, right?

Just because something is a real problem in certain parts of the field of electrical engineering, doesn't mean it's also relevant for audio.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What he is writing is correct, but not every single circumstance. For example very old (vintage) drivers with accordion surrounds can be very stiff after years storage etc. The resonance frequency will change with use.
Modern drivers do too but once you put them in a cabinet, the impact becomes very small. Regardless, no one is talking about "very old" drivers. Statement was made generically about all speakers.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think transducer break-in (or burn-in) has more to do with psychoacoustics than anything else. That is, the mind adapts to the sound.

Granted, rigourous measurements are few and far between.

But transducer break-in at least has some degree of truth in it. Wait until we enter the domain of "cable break-in"...

I think transducer break-in (or burn-in) has more to do with psychoacoustics than anything else. That is, the mind adapts to the sound.

Granted, rigourous measurements are few and far between.

But transducer break-in at least has some degree of truth in it. Wait until we enter the domain of "cable break-in"...

My 1000.00 power cord sounded like my 10.00 power cord out of the box, and after 500 hours of burn in, it started to open up and sound like the 1000.00 power cord I paid for. You mean to tell me that was all in my head?:eek:

ngs428

My 1000.00 power cord sounded like my 10.00 power cord out of the box, and after 500 hours of burn in, it started to open up and sound like the 1000.00 power cord I paid for. You mean to tell me that was all in my head?:eek:

Did you burn in the wiring in your house? It will make it sound like a $2,000 power cord. At least in your head. :)

Last edited:

Did you burn in the wiring in your house? It will make it sound like a $2,000 power cord. At least in your head.

You do know that was a joke right? I would have thought the emoji would have given it away. But as a matter of fact I did. and not only that, it made my house sound like diamonds and pearls.;)(another emoji)

Last edited:

ngs428

You do know that was a joke right? I would have thought the emoji would have given it away. But as a matter of fact I did. and not only that, it made my house sound like diamonds and pearls.;)(another emoji)

Mine was a joke too. :)

Toku

Major Contributor
I currently live a retirement life, but previously I was engaged in designing equipment with a big Japanese communication equipment company.
The following is a soliloquy.

The equipment that I was conscious about aging is about the power supply equipment and Tx / Rx unit installed in vacuum tubes and artificial satellites used in transponder amplifiers for crossing the Pacific Ocean submarine cable connecting Japan and the USA.
The meaning of aging in this case was to deliberately perform initial deterioration of parts at the manufacturing stage and to obtain stable performance for a long time thereafter.

Furthermore, I have dealt with many audio devices for television broadcasting stations, but my design did not consider the aging of these electronic circuits at all.
The aging effect said in the world of audio fans is not much thought in the professional world of our circuit design.
In the audio equipment I use, I have never recognized a change due to clear aging except the speaker.

Regarding the balance connection which is frequently discussed recently, I have never been conscious that sound is good. In design, it adopts for the purpose of removing induced noise by a long transmission distance to the last.
But among Audiophils it is said that the sound is better with a higher grade.
The world of Audiophil is full of wonders and is fun!

Pavel, if I remember correctly, there is 100 ohm, not 1kohm. Anyway, tommorow I'll check on my unit.

artburda

I received my unit today. Since I have no adapter for the US plug (living in Switzerland), I'm using a 12V 1.5A power supply. So far it's working without issues. Any ideas what potential problems might be running the device this way?

I received my unit today. Since I have no adapter for the US plug (living in Switzerland), I'm using a 12V 1.5A power supply. So far it's working without issues. Any ideas what potential problems might be running the device this way?

No one. Minimum voltage is 12v, maximum voltage is 25v.

The capacitors at input are at 25v and all the regulators accept 28v. For safety let me try on my device.

Pavel

Very strange.
I was sure the problem was with these cheap power supplies. I immediately threw out the standard power supply and used quality ones.
The DX3 never shut down.

Top Bottom