• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

At last i try it out my self, and i can say i am very satisfied with this dx3 dac/preamp ,just strange that i cant hear difference in quality playing between Bluetooth via phone , optical connection straight thru media player and USB thru laptop (all playing spotify) could this be because BT is very high quality or just DAC do its best job and all connections? :rolleyes:

Video:
I also couldn't hear any difference playing 320kbps AAC through Bluetooth from my phone (compared to bit-perfect player from Win 10 with CD quality files). So all is fine, DX3 pro can give it's best through all inputs.

noel_fs

Hey guys, I wanted to read some opinions about this:

Ive always used foobar, but a few months ago tried jriver to see if there was some sound quality improvement because i saw people on forums stating there it was better. I was very sceptical about it, I literally thought it was placebo. Turns out that I tried it and noticed like an improvement or atleast a difference in the sound. I was using crappy headphones at the time so I didnt pay much attention to it.
Today I tried it again now that I have the HD580 and the sound is actually better, like way more refined and relaxed. Both Jriver and Foobar using wasapi. I dont even like Jriver itself. Wtf

caranthir

I'd like to buy this Dac/amp, there are any downsides on using a TRS adapter to 3.5mm? I'm usually using HD650 with a 6.35mm connector.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
Hey guys, I wanted to read some opinions about this:

Ive always used foobar, but a few months ago tried jriver to see if there was some sound quality improvement because i saw people on forums stating there it was better. I was very sceptical about it, I literally thought it was placebo. Turns out that I tried it and noticed like an improvement or atleast a difference in the sound. I was using crappy headphones at the time so I didnt pay much attention to it.
Today I tried it again now that I have the HD580 and the sound is actually better, like way more refined and relaxed. Both Jriver and Foobar using wasapi. I dont even like Jriver itself. Wtf
Jriver is said to be betrer but there is no explainable difference to my ears. It also SEEMS more "relaxed" to my ears but I highly doubt I could ABX them.

That player has the advantages of his drawbacks: not as easy to use as foobar, I think twice before changing the songs and happen to enjoy my listening time better.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bought @yue DX3Pro and I have been listening to it for 3 days so far. It is rock solid and working as well as my original unit. I will keep reporting as I continue to use it.

Stonetown

Patreon Donor
Just have to say that the DX3 is a nice companion to a tube-amp. Bringing nice digital connections to a thermionic valve amplifier. (Toslink to CD-player+Bluetooth to the Apple Watch+USB to the computer etc), so a very handy add-on, and sounding good too. Works perfect in all ways! Not to forget the remote with the volume control, thank you!
valve_amp2.jpg

Cheers /Per

Last edited:

yue

I bought @yue DX3Pro and I have been listening to it for 3 days so far. It is rock solid and working as well as my original unit. I will keep reporting as I continue to use it.
Problem used to occur almost every day under my heavy use. I mentioned above that @Toku and I once ran continuous tests independently for very long time (@Toku ran it for many days. I ran it for over 18 hours) but unable to trigger problems. But we did witness it (in my case a lot) in our daily use. So I was wondering if there're anything related to user interactions --- such as start/stop/switch songs of different formats/sample rates more often, or static electricity I carry during winter (this is Topping's hypothesis) could cause the issue.

I would recommend trying a spark ignitor (to simulate static electricity carried by humans, or power fluctuations caused by a poor adaptor) and see if it triggers the problem.

Topping's static electricity hypothesis make sense to me, as both my Macbook Pro and the unit use 2-prong adaptors and have a light vibrating feeling when I touch the metal surface. Though I didn't feel shocked when the device stopped playing.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom