• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D90 4499DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
And do you think D70 has an advantage because of the dual chip implemention over the single construction of D90?
I think dual chip is highly overstated. RME ADI-2 has one chip and it's one of the best DACs out there.

So no, I don't believe there's much of an advantage. A tiny increase in DR perhaps. Everything else is marketing fluff...

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Europe price is US$700+taxes ~ 70% of Okto research dac (and it's only ~€300 more to get Okto)
Topping sure is stepping on big toes with that price and will face harsh competition.
Decisions... :eek:
This was exactly my dilemma, but here is what pushed me to the D90:
1. RCA optical inputs and RCA analog output option
2. Paying extra for additional DAC channels that I know I won't be using

I definitely would consider the Okto Stereo8 (streamer/DAC all-in-one like the Element X) when it comes out!

Tks

Major Contributor
This was exactly my dilemma, but here is what pushed me to the D90:
1. RCA optical inputs and RCA analog output option
2. Paying extra for additional DAC channels that I know I won't be using

I definitely would consider the Okto Stereo8 (streamer/DAC all-in-one like the Element X) when it comes out!

You got an end-game DAC honestly, it's really odd to think people may feel buyers regret or something to that effect with such a great device.

Also one thing makers need to start doing is hurry up with that Bluetooth input. 2019 people been slacking, but come 2020, I'm not sure of any DAC not sporting such an input makes much sense. Topping DX3 Pro came out in 2018 if I recall. Lets go folks, chop chop, I don't feel like turning on my computer to play music or getting my idiotic apple doggle to connect my phone as a source.

Alex-D

You got an end-game DAC honestly, it's really odd to think people may feel buyers regret or something to that effect with such a great device.

Also one thing makers need to start doing is hurry up with that Bluetooth input. 2019 people been slacking, but come 2020, I'm not sure of any DAC not sporting such an input makes much sense. Topping DX3 Pro came out in 2018 if I recall. Lets go folks, chop chop, I don't feel like turning on my computer to play music or getting my idiotic apple doggle to connect my phone as a source.

Bluetooth 5.0 receiver with optical out costs 20$ so if you already have a great DAC with optical in you can easily bolt it on.

Alabaster

Bluetooth 5.0 receiver with optical out costs 20$ so if you already have a great DAC with optical in you can easily bolt it on.

yeah, but then you have +1 device +1 IC cable +1 power supply/power supply cord... I think many people would pay extra price to avoid that. :)

Reactions: Tks

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bluetooth requires added real estate and complicates layout for these flagship devices, because the antenna has to be kept sufficiently far away from the analog stage if they want to preserve their astonishingly good low-level performance.

There's also the issue that Bluetooth still doesn't support lossless and it's all-too-easy to get SBC fallback with a lot of consumer devices, so I can see manufacturers not wanting people listening via Bluetooth and complaining about sound quality. Plus it just seems incongruous to buy an astonishingly high performance device and intend to listen via Bluetooth. Might as well save money and get a lower end DAC.

richpjr

Bluetooth requires added real estate and complicates layout for these flagship devices, because the antenna has to be kept sufficiently far away from the analog stage if they want to preserve their astonishingly good low-level performance.

There's also the issue that Bluetooth still doesn't support lossless and it's all-too-easy to get SBC fallback with a lot of consumer devices, so I can see manufacturers not wanting people listening via Bluetooth and complaining about sound quality. Plus it just seems incongruous to buy an astonishingly high performance device and intend to listen via Bluetooth. Might as well save money and get a lower end DAC.

These are very valid points, but there are times when I am sitting at my desk doing critical listening with wired headphones and times I'd like to be moving around the room using Bluetooth headphones for less critical listening or working out and having a single device is more convenient than 2 devices.

Alabaster

Owning an astonishingly high performance DAC doesen't mean that you have to forget BT. You just have the choice to listen to top quality music via cable or use BT when you just make some silent background music and need the flexibility of it etc... IMO BT is a nice option to have.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Owning an astonishingly high performance DAC doesen't mean that you have to forget BT. You just have the choice to listen to top quality music via cable or use BT when you just make some silent background music and need the flexibility of it etc... IMO BT is a nice option to have.
This is a desktop DAC with astonishing low levels of noise and interference. The Topping D90 isn't made to be used in a car over BT ...

Reactions: pos

richpjr

This is a desktop DAC with astonishing low levels of noise and interference. The Topping D90 isn't made to be used in a car over BT ...

I think people understand it is a desktop DAC. Since it does include Bluetooth, that is great for those of us who want the flexibility of wireless and great sound when wired.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agreed, more curiosity than anything (damn you gear acquisition syndrome!). I'm actually more curious about odd ball products like the Musical Paradise tube DACs, where clearly it's an attempt for "musical" distortion to change things up a bit.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, but then you have +1 device +1 IC cable +1 power supply/power supply cord... I think many people would pay extra price to avoid that. :)
As long as the cables are all high purity micro-braided silver strands with NASA insulation and the power supply is battery operated dual-mono in a separate 4 mm thick aluminum casing, people would look for an excuse to order this $1,000 add-on.

Roger285

Am I the only one who wishes it had a rotary volume control? Poking at buttons to make adjustments is kinda awkward. Not that it's an issue for me - just received my dx7 pro!
Bob

jcadduono

Am I the only one who wishes it had a rotary volume control? Poking at buttons to make adjustments is kinda awkward. Not that it's an issue for me - just received my dx7 pro!
Bob
maybe, I would certainly prefer it NOT to have a rotary control. When I'm reaching over to my stack in the dark or without looking, I want to only feel my headphone amp knob and not my DAC one to adjust the volume. If you have it plugged into a speaker amp without volume control then I'd assume it was further away and in that case you'd use the remote anyway. Speaking of the remote, how well does the volume control react on it? Is it 1 step per button press at a time, or does it allow holding the button with acceleration in steps?

I'm actually a little disappointed they moved away from the D50 style controls. I really like the 5 way joystick on it, but I suppose it's a little risky if you were to travel a lot with your stack and accidentally dropped it on its face. (lol) I guess people's concern of the joystick breaking was why they went back to basic buttons. :(

bequietjk

I would have liked to see Topping come out with a more unique design.

typericey

I would have liked to see Topping come out with a more unique design.

I actually like Topping's minimalist design language (across all its products), compared to their Chi-fi peers.

@Roger285 agree with you. They should've just put the DX7 Pro rotary on the D90.

As usual, I'll be lurking on this thread for real world usage reports of the early adopters. Fingers crossed, no bugs or issues. And if Topping is lurking here, please, no clicks or pops when switching sources.

Last edited:
Top Bottom