• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D90 4499DAC

Tks

Major Contributor
Help me on understanding the advantage of a D90 vs. a D7X Pro. Apparently they are at a close price point. Is the D90 really that much better than the DAC section of the DX7 Pro? Considering that the DX& Pro is a combo DAC/Amp, is it not the better value?

If you care about it from an audibility perspective, then no. If you care about using something like low impedance IEM's, the DX7 Pro may not be the best choice if you're going to use it as an amp due to it's output impedance.

Though truth be told, this new chip is a monumental shift in architecture from the basic diagrams published by AKM. But regardless, I think implementations of it are due to slowly trickle into other products from existing companies, so there may be better implementations (I personally think this chip will be the one to truly require AP to push their analyzer designs, and once RME, or Matrix Audio get their hands on and decide to build their next DAC's around this chip, we're going to probably be seeing some very staggering results). Though for the foreseeable future, the D90 seems to be a far better value than I imagined it would be based on the prices most of these other DACs using the 4499 will cost based on my guesses.

If you have a 887, Geshelli, JDS El Amp, or Atom, or even the new Magni Heresey, I'd probably go for the DAC just to satisfy "proper pairing" with having as low of a bottleneck ratio of difference possible. If you have no amps, or don't want to have seperates, the DX7 Pro is end-game worthy as long as you're not thinking about using very low impedance IEM's or headphones.

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks @WolfX-700 for the review. The ceramic wolves on top of the product is not original, but I approve. ;)

Some personal thoughts:
- I don't care about AES, and though the Coax jitter looks worse, one can't really complain if the dirt is below 130dB
- I use a DAC for loudspeakers exclusively, so this type of product is for me. I don't consider DAC-amps with similar performance and price as alternatives
- $700 is a bit much. I was hoping I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a DAC. But then again, this might be endgame for me (and for most people).
- Unlikely I'll be an early adopter, as I need to know if there's any usability bugs (i.e. clicks and pops) or high defect rate

I like the usage of DAC to loudspeakers as I plan to connect it to my monitors. So, does the DAC has volume control for the xlr outputs?

Yviena

The sales person from topping just told me they are now changing components for first-batch products to solve the jitter problem. and the first batch will be shipped out next week.
Did they mention anything about fixing the linearity?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That looks to exist in the Gustard DAC-A22 as well, so perhaps an AKM4499 thing?

I know from other developers that AKM has relatively less support for developers. Documentation, internal materials, and recommendations are almost non-existent.

This is why 4499-based product development takes so long.

However, at least Topping focused on this issue after my measurement.

But the solution may need to be based on the fundamental design.

meleeli

Can you switch between the XLR and RCA out or are they both on all the time? Is there some relay click when you switch?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is also the problem I encountered. When I use the default settings --- I actually prefer this---it will conflict with the DAC manufacturer's statement.
And if A weighting is used, from my current AES17-1998, it does not meet the description in section 9.3.

The question you mentioned about the AES17 label was something I hadn't considered before. From my point of view the whole thing is really confusing-it has been tangling me for some time.

Like I said, I respect standards. But I still think it is necessary to check the latest AES17 standard. I will finish this soon.
Why not just measuring A-weighted and unweighted?

someusername

Available on order at
audiophonics fr
699,00 €tax incl.
582,50 € tax excl.

Specs are present there :)
But there is no specs on the homepage of D90: only news section w/o them.

typericey

I like the usage of DAC to loudspeakers as I plan to connect it to my monitors. So, does the DAC has volume control for the xlr outputs?

Most likely yes. It looks like the usability features are same with D70 i.e. it has volume buttons and most likely a remote. Apologies I cannot say for certain. Maybe @WolfX-700 can confirm.

bys13

Most likely yes. It looks like the usability features are same with D70 i.e. it has volume buttons and most likely a remote. Apologies I cannot say for certain. Maybe @WolfX-700 can confirm.

yes it has. the up and down buttons on the remote are volume up and down.

O1CN013V5MPN1TX7ZTjPfSK_!!56742391.jpg

Yviena

Someone think it's not perfect below -115
It probably doesn't matter much if linearity is around 18-19 bits I doubt it's audible when stuff like ygdrassil (which has worse linearity) still gets praised everywhere on the net.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ten ads on AliExpress all for $699.99.

I have some items for sale on eBay; once they sell I’m replacing my DX7s with a D90 and a Monoprice THX AAA 887. Then I’m swearing off ASR. ;)

Martin

VeerK

Ten ads on AliExpress all for $699.99.

I have some items for sale on eBay; once they sell I’m replacing my DX7s with a D90 and a Monoprice THX AAA 887. Then I’m swearing off ASR. ;)

Martin

Lol, I’m 100% in the same boat as you brother, except I already have the 887. I just need to get the D90 and I’m hiding from ASR

Top Bottom