• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D90 4499DAC

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In this thread,discuss the upcoming D90 DAC from Topping.

I reply: I will measure this unit.

After communicating with Topping, I decided to wait for their "retail version".

Then, I got this "retail" today.

This machine was borrowed from Topping. They provided the machine and shipped it to me. I will be responsible for the cost of shipping back after taking the measurements here.

Stop talking nonsense, look at the equipment first!

Photo.jpg

This is a compact unit. The overall size and weight are very friendly (especially considering it has so many input and output interfaces).

Of course, from the "Hifi" point of view, the compact size and densely arranged interfaces will bring some troubles --- those "Hifi cable fans" like to use a variety of egg-like size wire and connectors ...

_DSC9054-2.jpg

The surface feel is average and lacks high-level feel. But considering that it is likely to be cheaper. This is not a problem.

None of the above is actually my main concern. The key is: What about performance? How about performance?

Here are the measurement results:

Dashboard 48K:

Dashboard48.jpg

Some friends advised me: a fast measurement result of 44.1K sampling rate should be provided at the same time:
Dashboard441.jpg

It's great! They basically do what they claim! (The 122dbSINAD previously released was A-weighted, and I also got similar results after adding A-weighted)

Of course, after the event of the SMSL M500, I may need to find an opportunity to re-measure the samples on the market sometime in the future. But anyway, this unit I have is great!

Here are some other routine measurements:
Dynamic-Range---AES17.jpg
Linearity-(-20.jpg
THD+N-FREQ.jpg
SMPTE-Ratio.jpg
Multitone.jpg

All of the above looks perfect and seems to deserve a high recommendation.

but! There may be some bugs ... I'm trying to contact the manufacturer, but there is no result yet.

Anyway, weird measurement results for the device at hand must be posted:

J-Test-AES-48.jpg

J-Test-AES-441.jpg

J-Test-Coax-48.jpg

J-Test-Coax-441.jpg

J-Test-USB-48.jpg

Update:

They fixed the problem of AES interface J-Test! !! !!

J-Test AES48.jpg

J-Test AES441.jpg

Last edited:

Feyire

If they fix the jitter issues and stabilise the linearity more before release, it will be exceptional :eek:

Power supply noise leakage most probably.

Last edited:

Feyire

@WolfX-700 , if you have the time/patience, would you mind doing a SINAD over time and also a IMD over time measurement?

In similar fashion to the SMSL M500 situation, starting from room temperature.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 , if you have the time/patience, would you mind doing a SINAD over time and also a IMD over time measurement?

In similar fashion to the SMSL M500 situation, starting from room temperature.

After having experience with the M500, I was the first to do this measurement (SINAD over time)

The data of all the above dashboards is the result after an hour of Warm up

I guarantee it in the SINAD Over Time measurement about 50 minutes. The value fluctuates within 1db(similar to Topping D50s))

Unfortunately, during my meal (I was going to do a 2-hour SINAD over time measurement) Windows 10 damn update ...

Now this unit is cooling outdoors. I will take a measurement later.

Last edited:
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
I think it's been cool outside (below 45 ° F) in the past two hours.

This is the preliminary measurement result (incredibly stable). This is also the performance of a good device we want to see.

time1.jpg

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Pretty incredible stuff coming out from China manufacturers of late.

One of those " buy it and be happy forever " kind of devices as @amirm mentioned with the THX 789.

I still want to remind: there are still some bugs in this unit. And the source of the unit is not from the third party but directly from the manufacturer.

This is my first measurement of a product from Topping. My trust in this manufacturer is still not established.

But the good news is that my feedback on the J-Test results has received a positive response, and Topping said that this issue will be checked tomorrow.

Have a good communication and a positive attitude towards problems. This is a good thing. Isn't it?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Here's an hour's stability test ... still "incredibly stable"

I decided to terminate this test-it was just a waste of time.

I want to shout loudly: this is what a qualified device should look like!!!!!!!
Time1H.jpg

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's an hour's stability test ... still "incredibly stable"

I decided to terminate this test-it was just a waste of time.

I want to shout loudly: this is what a qualified device should look like!!!!!!!
View attachment 41776

Yes, that looks great, but will it still look like that if you put in an oven at 400F degrees for an hour? ;)

Top Bottom