• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D90 4499DAC

bequietjk

@JohnYang1997 @typericey

Personally, I feel that the look is comparable to that of their direct competitor (SMSL). Slap an SMSL badge on the D90 and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm not taking away from the minimalistic design, I think it looks sleek and looks great. But, for them to be able to have a fantastically measuring device, with the new flagship dac chip from AKM, at $700, AND STILL THEY CANNOT LABEL THE INPUTS AND OUTPUTS ON THE BACK? Alas, neither can SMSL. Now that I see what Topping is capable of, I think they can truly seperate themself from others in their physical and aesthetic looks with more focus in something that says 'Yup, this is a Topping unit' or 'Yes, this is definitely SMSL'. In Google images, search 'SMSL dac' and 'Topping dac' and you can mix and match those badges for just about every single unit, EXCEPT for the SMSL VMV D1. The VMV stands apart.

Last edited:

bequietjk

For me, I am directly comparing the D90 to the SONCOZ which imo has great physical design and measures exceedingly well. Topping can step up their device's physical character's and so can SMSL. Just my opinion and personal taste.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 @typericey

Personally, I feel that the look is comparable to that of their direct competitor (SMSL). Slap an SMSL badge on the D90 and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm not taking away from the minimalistic design, I think it looks sleek and looks great. But, for them to be able to have a fantastically measuring device, with the new flagship dac chip from AKM, at $700, THEY STILL CANNOT LABEL THE INPUTS AND OUTPUTS ON THE BACK. Alas, neither can SMSL. Now that I see what Topping is capable of, I think they can truly seperate themself from others in their physical and aesthetic looks with more focus in something that says 'Yup, this is a Topping unit' or 'Yes, this is definitely SMSL'.
Well. If you ignore the fact these two are the most well known Chinese DAC companies, you realize that most devices with metal machining look alike. Same with okto, rme etc. And they look considerably better than those with roots of DIY. It's only when you see them in real world, you can see how gorgeous dx7pro and d90 are. Even the cheap dx3pro. They feel absolutely amazing. In defense of SMSL they have M300 M500 and Sanskrit which look very different from most devices on the market. How different can you make them? Glass on the front? Wait for topping e30. Maybe that's what you want. Like SONCOZ SGD1? Maybe. Like EL DAC? You can't have control if you stack devices onto each other.

bequietjk

@JohnYang1997 I would just like to see them take it to the next level.

Let's take a look at Benchmark's DAC3. This unit probably takes some serious CNC machining, yeah? Thick metal. This will ramp up the cost most definitely and I realize this is bad for consumers that want great measuring pieces at affordable prices. But when I look at even Massdrop's THX 789 amp, even it has creative design considered with the drilled holes on the top. And you KNOW it's a Massdrop piece. Drilling those holes takes some amount of time but surely it isn't as intricate as the DAC3. You can even tell an Audio-GD piece from others.

Perhaps this is just me nitpicking, but I would like to be clear on the matter. With all of these companies coming out with more insane measurements, all within the inaudible range.... It's apparent that the next step for these companies is to distinguish themselves from the others and invest in their brand. Their character. Hopefully, this cannot come at a cost more than a few employees sharing their ideas for their products physical traits.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Let's take a look at Benchmark's DAC3. This unit probably takes some serious CNC machining, yeah? Thick metal. This will ramp up the cost most definitely and I realize this is bad for consumers that want great measuring pieces at affordable prices. But when I look at even Massdrop's THX 789 amp, even it has creative design considered with the drilled holes on the top. And you KNOW it's a Massdrop piece. Drilling those holes takes some amount of time but surely it isn't as intricate as the DAC3. You can even tell an Audio-GD piece from others.

Perhaps this is just me nitpicking, but I would like to be clear on the matter. With all of these companies coming out with more insane measurements, all within the inaudible range.... It's apparent that the next step is for these companies is to distinguish themselves from the company and invest in their brand. Their character. Hopefully this cannot come at a cost more than a few employees sharing their ideas for their products physical traits.

Nitpicking here ... those cover plates are laser cut holes, at best die -punched holes, not CNC machined. A whole lot less work ( and a whole lot cheaper) comparatively.

jcadduono

Nitpicking here ... those cover plates are laser cut holes, at best die -punched holes, not CNC machined. A whole lot less work ( and a whole lot cheaper) comparatively.
On top of that they're completely unnecessary (the 789 puts out very minimal heat) and will eventually result in internal dust build up. I like what Topping is doing.

bequietjk

Right. Benchmark has a robust looking design but looks to be milled and would ramp cost, whereas the THX 789 has a cost effective way of making their product look to be their own.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Am I the only one who wishes it had a rotary volume control?
If I was to use it with my PC, I would love - no - demand, a rotary volume control (that's how I use my DX3 Pro). But my intended use of a unit so potentially well-spec'd and versatile would be with a front-end music system; in this case my bedroom setup -- so Jcadduono's point is well-taken. However, the D90 seems competent enough to serve as the DAC in one's main music stack as well.

PS. Not a big fan of the D50's "joystick" (but has improved graphics in the D50s). But, I do like the D70's three buttons being all there in one place as opposed to the "Select" button on the D90 being the same as the "Power" button and separated from the other two. Though I have to admit the look of the D90's front panel is much cleaner and classier than the D70's.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Give me a break. You call the holes on thx 789 special design? That's honestly the ugliest part of that amp. Also such design is extremely difficult to keep for complete line of products. You generally want to keep a series with a certain look. And you also may want to consider a few products that can stack on each other to look similar with similar size. Other than that it would be so hilarious to have all products same look.
Surely having some elements that are kinda unique is great. But you rarely see that (even the benchmark you mentioned). Making good performing good looking affordable products is good enough.

Last edited:

bequietjk

John, here
imageService.jpeg

For real tho, John. Gustard has their thing going on. Maybe not every unit, but i know its a Gustard thing.
Gustard DAC-X26 Audio DAC Review.jpg

It just may be that Topping is shooting for the kings and queens of minimalistic design. Again, my taste of opinion is my own but I'm sticking to it lol

Jusr getting bored of these cookie cutter looks with state of the art measurements. Would like to see the titans of audio, ESPECIALLY in audio in this day, where the hobby is still growing, to see these technically superior Titan companies put out original and unique designs that bring more flavor to the industry. And still cost gobs less than companies that fork out units that measure far worse, but maintain beautiful designs.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have liked to see Topping come out with a more unique design.
It's all about compromises when pricing at this very competitive segment. Re-purposing existing designs where possible keeps this product from having to be priced higher to recoup retooling costs from a re-design.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
John, here
View attachment 42898

For real tho, John. Gustard has their thing going on. Maybe not every unit, but i know its a Gustard thing.
View attachment 42899

It just may be that Topping is shooting for the kings and queens of minimalistic design. Again, my taste of opinion is my own but I'm sticking to it lol

Jusr getting bored of these cookie cutter looks with state of the art measurements. Would like to see the titans of audio, ESPECIALLY in audio in this day, where the hobby is still growing, to see these technically superior Titan companies put out original and unique designs that bring more flavor to the industry. And still cost gobs less than companies that fork out units that measure far worse, but maintain beautiful designs.
Matrix products are noted for their polish and design, but you're paying triple for the pleasure - there's really no free lunch.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Gustard has their thing going on.
Yes . . . Gustard has very nice designs. Simple, yet classy, and immediately recognizable. Well-designed, well-built, and well-performing products on the "cusp" of High-End, but actually affordable, and far-better performing than most "High-End" stuff. However, I don't think Topping is too shabby either. Before the Topping D90 came out, the Gustard DAC X-26 was at the top of my next DAC list. Need to see a little more about real world performance of the D90, but it is definitely an anticipated front-runner now.

Celty

I must be a Philistine. I really like the D90 appearance, particularly in black. With the rounding or beveling, it appeals as simple, functional, and to me - elegant.

jcadduono

I just received a $50 credit from Apos because they cannot ship it until December 27th. So $649 total price.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I was waiting until the 27th to make my order because I wouldn't be at the shipping destination until the 30th.
I see they still have the "will arrive before Christmas" on the express shipping option in the checkout.
I am so coming for that $50 credit LOL

VeerK

The D90 is still on my list vs the Soncoz SGD1, I’m going back and forth because I like how the D90 looks, but not $200 more lol

slingshot

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I was waiting until the 27th to make my order because I wouldn't be at the shipping destination until the 30th.
I see they still have the "will arrive before Christmas" on the express shipping option in the checkout.
I am so coming for that $50 credit LOL

They were supposed to ship it today because I preordered it and that is the reason for the $50 credit.

This is reason they gave:

To make sure TOPPING D90 is worthy of the new flagship tier of DAC, the company has employed a particularly uncompromising and rigorous quality assurance testing process. As a result of this testing process, the production ramp-up has been considerably slower than we originally anticipated. Unfortunately, it also means the original fulfillment schedule for your order will be slightly delayed.
Based on the latest update from TOPPING, we will be receiving the next batch of D90 by 12/27. Your order is currently scheduled to go out on the same day, as soon as the wholesale shipment of the D90 is received into our warehouse.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps this is just me nitpicking, but I would like to be clear on the matter. With all of these companies coming out with more insane measurements, all within the inaudible range.... It's apparent that the next step for these companies is to distinguish themselves from the others and invest in their brand. Their character. Hopefully, this cannot come at a cost more than a few employees sharing their ideas for their products physical traits.
Part of Benchmark's premium price is that it's made in the U.S.A. - if it was fully made in China or Vietnam, easily 30% off.

Top Bottom