• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

mt196

Why dont you also try to remove anything that is connected to a USB port besides the D50 ?Try different ports as well and check from the device manager (view devices by connection) that in that usb port you only have the D50,sometimes MB internal usb hubs share devices, Also your PSU might be faulty i doubt it though.Your MB is a good one unless something faulty is there .I never has such an issue even with very cheap usb stick sound cards that i once bought just for fun!

It is coming to my mind that it could be the led hub from aquacomputer that is connected through an internal usb to the mobo

Kiko1974

Hello,
Finally, is the D50 a good pick? Is the ESS hump noticeable?
I need a DAC to pair to my valve amplifier, I have no need for bluetooth or remote.
The price gap between the 2 models is 40 euros.
The sumarise, is the D50S really better than the D50?

Thanks
I wouldn't mix a Blutooth device and a tube amp or preamp, or put one near the other.

neilmc

I’ve been happy so far with my D50, but just recently I’ve started acquiring higher-resolution audio files. My problem is, the D50, through the USB connection, will only play them at 44.1/16. The wav files are 176/24. The user’s manual provides no instruction, and fiddling with the toggle switch does nothing. I sent an e-mail to Topping in China, but as I wait for their response, I was wondering if some kind soul here might have solved this riddle and could clue me in. Thanks!

exaudio

Forum Donor
@neilmc , If you're using Windows you should check the sample rate and bit depth that it's set to use when running in shared mode. It's probably set to 16 bit, 44100Hz. Go to Windows 'Settings' and choose 'Sound' and then under 'Output Device' choose Topping USB DAC. Click on 'Device properties' and then 'Additional device properties'. Click on the advanced tab and set your desired sample rate and bit depth windows should use in shared mode. Windows will re-sample everything to whatever is set there whenever your music player is using shared mode. Shared mode is the normal mode of operation. In order for the system sounds, your music, and any other source of sound to be able to play at the same time, they all have to get re-sampled to the same sample rate and bit depth, mixed together and sent to your DAC.

If you don't want Windows to re-sample your music before sending it to your DAC then steps you need to take will depend on your music player. Music players like Foobar2000, JRiver and Roon can all be configured to take exclusive control of your audio device. When your music player has exclusive control of your DAC it can bypass the Windows mixer and send your music to your DAC at it's original sample rate.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I’ve been happy so far with my D50, but just recently I’ve started acquiring higher-resolution audio files. My problem is, the D50, through the USB connection, will only play them at 44.1/16. The wav files are 176/24. The user’s manual provides no instruction, and fiddling with the toggle switch does nothing. I sent an e-mail to Topping in China, but as I wait for their response, I was wondering if some kind soul here might have solved this riddle and could clue me in. Thanks!
What are you using to play the .wav files..? Like @exaudio says, you really need to check your system settings.

neilmc

@neilmc , If you're using Windows you should check the sample rate and bit depth that it's set to use when running in shared mode. It's probably set to 16 bit, 44100Hz. Go to Windows 'Settings' and choose 'Sound' and then under 'Output Device' choose Topping USB DAC. Click on 'Device properties' and then 'Additional device properties'. Click on the advanced tab and set your desired sample rate and bit depth windows should use in shared mode. Windows will re-sample everything to whatever is set there whenever your music player is using shared mode. Shared mode is the normal mode of operation. In order for the system sounds, your music, and any other source of sound to be able to play at the same time, they all have to get re-sampled to the same sample rate and bit depth, mixed together and sent to your DAC.

If you don't want Windows to re-sample your music before sending it to your DAC then steps you need to take will depend on your music player. Music players like Foobar2000, JRiver and Roon can all be configured to take exclusive control of your audio device. When your music player has exclusive control of your DAC it can bypass the Windows mixer and send your music to your DAC at it's original sample rate.

Thanks for your input. I was able to select the 192/24 sampling/bit depth, which is then accepted by the D50. (I also found something called "Windows Sonic for Headphones," which I have yet to fully explore.) Strangely, the DAC does seem to occasionally change randomly to 48 KHz for some reason, but while I am playing a song, it stays at 192. As you and Veri below noted, the media player plays a part. I use VLC media player, and in Audio in the toolbar I can select the Topping D50 DAC, but it doesn't appear to "take control" of the DAC as far as sampling rate and bit depth. Once I select the 192/24 in Windows Settings, the DAC reads 192 no matter what source file I am playing, so the media player is not interacting with the DAC. Either I need to 1) explore configuring the VLC player settings, or 2) switch to one of the players you reference above. Anyway, thanks to you and Veri for successfully lowering my frustration level.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for your input. I was able to select the 192/24 sampling/bit depth, which is then accepted by the D50. (I also found something called "Windows Sonic for Headphones," which I have yet to fully explore.) Strangely, the DAC does seem to occasionally change randomly to 48 KHz for some reason, but while I am playing a song, it stays at 192. As you and Veri below noted, the media player plays a part. I use VLC media player, and in Audio in the toolbar I can select the Topping D50 DAC, but it doesn't appear to "take control" of the DAC as far as sampling rate and bit depth. Once I select the 192/24 in Windows Settings, the DAC reads 192 no matter what source file I am playing, so the media player is not interacting with the DAC. Either I need to 1) explore configuring the VLC player settings, or 2) switch to one of the players you reference above. Anyway, thanks to you and Veri for successfully lowering my frustration level.
Yep you will need a player like foobar, jriver, mpc-hc ... that allows you to select 'exclusive mode' which takes control of the DAC.

neilmc

Yep you will need a player like foobar, jriver, mpc-hc ... that allows you to select 'exclusive mode' which takes control of the DAC.

Still having problems. I installed Foobar2000 and made sure the WASAPI output support component was added. Then I made sure that "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "give exclusive mode applications priority" were both checked. But then when I play a hi-res audio file on Foobar2000, in order for it to play above 48000 Hz, I have to select the Default Format 24 bit, 192000 Hz setting. The D50 then reads 192 kHz, even if the file is recorded at 176 kHz. Is there some way I need to tell Foobar2000 that it needs to be boss and select the currently playing sampling rate? I'm confused.

Veri

Master Contributor
Still having problems. I installed Foobar2000 and made sure the WASAPI output support component was added. Then I made sure that "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "give exclusive mode applications priority" were both checked. But then when I play a hi-res audio file on Foobar2000, in order for it to play above 48000 Hz, I have to select the Default Format 24 bit, 192000 Hz setting. The D50 then reads 192 kHz, even if the file is recorded at 176 kHz. Is there some way I need to tell Foobar2000 that it needs to be boss and select the currently playing sampling rate? I'm confused.
Have you selected WASAPI as the output mode? Installing the component is not enough :) you need to choose WASAPI push (or event) to your device.

neilmc

Have you selected WASAPI as the output mode? Installing the component is not enough :) you need to choose WASAPI push (or event) to your device.

Select WASAPI where? There is an output selection for Sound in Settings, but only for Speakers - TOPPING USB DAC. There is no Output selection option in the Foobar2000 tool bar. Then whenever I close Foobar and reopen it, it recognizes the correct sampling rate/bit depth, but the D50 reverts to a default setting of 48000 Hz/24 bit.

Last edited:

exaudio

Forum Donor
Select WASAPI where? There is an output selection for Sound in Settings, but only for Speakers - TOPPING USB DAC. There is no Output selection option in the Foobar2000 tool bar. Then whenever I close Foobar and reopen it, it recognizes the correct sampling rate/bit depth, but the D50 reverts to a default setting of 48000 Hz/24 bit.

@neilmc , in Foobar2000 you can find it under preferences > playback > output. I'm not sure what the difference between a WASAPI 'push' and a WASAPI 'event' is. Both seem to put the DAC in exclusive mode and stream my music at its original bit rate. Here's a screenshot:

foobar2000.png

There's a similar setting in VLC that will let you choose WASAPI, but I don't know if VLC will take exclusive control and send your music "bit perfect" to your DAC. Here's a screenshot from VLC:

2019-11-19_3-58-17.png

MWC

WASAPI was developed for DACs that have no ASIO driver provided by the manufacturer. Topping provide good ASIO drivers so WASAPI is not required. IMHO, although WASAPI may work and do the job OK, one would be better off with the ASIO driver provided by Topping, especially if one wants to play DSD. Download it here http://www.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=80.html
For Foobar you may well need to install ASIO-Proxy_install first. Then the Topping D50 ASIO driver.

Having said this, I am interested in solutions for VLC as I have some Video/BD with 24bit/96kHz audio and would like to be sure it is playing OK with VLC and the D50. I have now installed WASAPI, as VLC does not seem to be able to see the topping ASIO driver, but then I don't know my way around VLC very well as I don't use it much. Following exaudio's advice and later screenshot (above) I'm currently using Windows to set a default sample rate, but this does not give me the correct different sample rates according to the source file sample rate. I can't see the point of upsampling everything to 24/96 in VLC.

Last edited:

neilmc

I followed exaudio's suggestion and selected WASAPI (push) : Speakers (Topping USB DAC). My Device detail didn't look like his, and in fact, had no ASIO items at all,

Foobar2000 Preferences Output.GIF

but WASAPI (push) did the trick. The D50 correctly receives and processes the correct sampling/bit rate. Hooray! I selected 32-bit, even though I don't currently have any music at that bit depth. Oh, hidden under the pull-down of Device Options is Buffer length, default-set at 1000ms. Is there any reason to ever have to mess with this number?

Thanks to all for the clarifying input.

And I did like VLC for several years, but decided to delete it from my computer. Foobar2000 advertises the capability of continuous play of sequential tracks, very useful in some albums that have one track transitioning smoothly into the next. Coming to an abrupt stop in your listening, then having to click Play to go on to the next track is annoying. I never could figure out if VLC had that option.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I followed exaudio's suggestion and selected WASAPI (push) : Speakers (Topping USB DAC). My Device detail didn't look like his, and in fact, had no ASIO items at all,

View attachment 39395

but WASAPI (push) did the trick. The D50 correctly receives and processes the correct sampling/bit rate. Hooray! I selected 32-bit, even though I don't currently have any music at that bit depth. Oh, hidden under the pull-down of Device Options is Buffer length, default-set at 1000ms. Is there any reason to ever have to mess with this number?

Thanks to all for the clarifying input.

And I did like VLC for several years, but decided to delete it from my computer. Foobar2000 advertises the capability of continuous play of sequential tracks, very useful in some albums that have one track transitioning smoothly into the next. Coming to an abrupt stop in your listening, then having to click Play to go on to the next track is annoying. I never could figure out if VLC had that option.
You have to install the ASIO component for Foobar if you want to use it.
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
It will then appear in that same list.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, the question is, do I want to use it? Foobar2000 _seems_ to function without ASIO, so what am I missing out on?

Some time ago I posted here (gotta find the thread again) a comparison of distortion levels between ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive, Kernel Streaming and Direct Sound.
Direct Sound had a bit more distortion (nothing THAT bad though) and the three others did the same.

With my Foscusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, WASAPI glitches if I can't increase buffer up to 2000ms. Foobar allows it, so I can use either ASIO or WASAPI (or Kernel Streaming).

But In JRiver, WASAPI has a max buffer setting of 500ms and it is not sufficient. So ASIO is better for me with JRiver because it allows be to put 2000ms as well.

I use JRiver for album listening and foobar to listen to the incoming music.

Foobar is good enough. No sound difference between Foobar & JRiver. But I paid for JRiver licence before finding this place so I keep on using it. It is pretty, also. And has a bunch of nice features.

MWC

@neilmc, IMHO, depending on what you are playing to some extent, WASAPI with Foobar2000 is good enough. I have found through years of personal experience that ASIO supplied by the DAC maker tends to be a bit better than catch all WASAPI. It may only become relevant if one wants to play higher rate DSD, DXD or Multichannel music. Your buffer at 1000ms should be fine no need to mess with it. BTW 32 bit is the default shown on the DAC's screen no matter what bit rate the music actually is, although I have seen it show 00 bit when using it with the TV.

Top Bottom