• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

starkiller

Really? Cool! Looking forward to hearing how it sounds compared to the W4S DAC I had and all the others that have passed through this system of mine :)

Thanks!

TopCat

Need some set up advice and such on the D50...only going to use it for my CD transport...nothing else...probably will use a digi cable though I do have a couple of optical ones as well, just don't quite understand the front panel and such...I be old and not too bright in knowing about today's tech stuff (computers included), and just want to plug and go, probably will be awhile before I try the different filters out also...anyone have some quick start stuff for me? Read the included manual but it was not as helpful as i would have liked....thanks!
I just use mine for cd also, I use a digital coax double shielded cable and it sounds great. I saw some reviews that said they thought it sounded a little better with coax instead of optical but YMMV. I use a 5v 2 amp wall wart and it works perfect with the 50. I get good clean sound with no noise that I can hear even with no music playing and volume at max. If you give a quick push on the power button it turns the unit on and a quick double tap on the button will show you the menu. Just choose your input using the toggle and I would keep the auto on off in the auto position which is set like that at the factory and the unit will turn on and off automatically. Hope this helped....Enjoy. Tom.

escalibur

Not worth upgrading if you already own the D50. IMHO.
I don't and that's the thing. :) Currently I'm using Khadas Tone Board.

Kane1972

The D50s is tempting but I think after import duty and VAT it will probably end up at the Amazon UK price of £230. If I were in the States would be a great price. The SMSL M300 is £212 in UK. Really want to know if it's better than the D50s. It uses the same chip as the D70 and also has balanced output but USB power only i believe, so the D50s could have the edge there?

Veri

Master Contributor
The D50s is tempting but I think after import duty and VAT it will probably end up at the Amazon UK price of £230. If I were in the States would be a great price. The SMSL M300 is £212 in UK. Really want to know if it's better than the D50s. It uses the same chip as the D70 and also has balanced output but USB power only i believe, so the D50s could have the edge there?
Well, do you need balanced?

Kane1972

Yes and no. Right now no, because I use only headphones with an Atom headphone amp, but I use this for mixing my own music and at some point I will get a better room with better monitors (currently have KRK Rokit 5 mk1) and the balanced connection will then be required. But, I could get a new DAC then of course or just use my TC interface.

Btw, anyone seen this? Be great for Amir to test this thing. https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/recovery

Kiko1974

Can I ask why I read a lot of users saying filter 3 and 5 are better than 1? It seems that they also include something over 22khz, isn't it bad?
Pleople use to think filters 3 and 5 sound better because they have less effect on the audio band. I'm currently using filter 4, it seems to have a softer sound which I like and looking at the frequency graph for each filter, 2 and 4 have an earlier roll off at high frequencies right before 20 Khz.
All in all, sound differences between filters are SUBTLE.

Veri

Master Contributor
All in all, sound differences between filters are SUBTLE.

Considering these filters have effects near or above 18Khz range, or in pre-ringing/post-ringing, pretty much no one can reliably discern between the 'differences'. From archimago's listening tests he has had a few who nailed the tests but the vast majority does not hear a difference, at all.

Kiko1974

I don't know what effects these filters have on over 44.1/48 Khz sample rate material. I use my D50 to play Hi Res files mostly either PCM or DSD (I have all my SACD's ripped and their tracks extracted with ISO2DSD) and also CD's ripped to FLAC that I upsample to 176.4/24 with Weiss Saracon (which is no slouch) that makes my CD rips sound smoother and more pleasing to listen.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I upsample to 176.4/24 with Weiss Saracon (which is no slouch) that makes my CD rips sound smoother and more pleasing to listen.

I assume that is purely based on sighted, uncontrolled listening?

Top Bottom