• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

MechEngVic

Hello all, First post on this forum but a rabid audiophile since the early 90's. So long in fact, that my subjectivity has almost petrified into objectivity! Just ordered the D50 on Amazon, same day delivery... So I need some answers fast!

First, will this work as a preamp to my Dynaco st-70 series II, which "requires an input load impedance of less than 2,000 ohms and an input sensitivity of 1.3 volts for max power output"? I only have my laptop (usb) and my Chromcast Audio (toslink) to hook up, so maybe I get away with just the DAC; Or will I have to order a new pre to replace my aging Adcom? ("But huni, the science guys said I need it...")

Second, is there enough space between the RCA outputs for a fattish pair of connectors?

Thanks for all the info so far!

Veri

Master Contributor
First, will this work as a preamp to my Dynaco st-70 series II, which "requires an input load impedance of less than 2,000 ohms and an input sensitivity of 1.3 volts for max power output"? I only have my laptop (usb) and my Chromcast Audio (toslink) to hook up, so maybe I get away with just the DAC; Or will I have to order a new pre to replace my aging Adcom? ("But huni, the science guys said I need it...")

At 0.00db it will output 2.0 volts. You can use the gain setting to play with (lower) the volume, which is built around high quality OPA1612 opamps. It could be sufficient, you will have to try it :)

Second, is there enough space between the RCA outputs for a fattish pair of connectors?

This for sure you will have to test! I personally think there is sufficient space so I would think it'll work.

Snafu

^^ these are regular good rca's (Nordost RedDawns... yeah Nordost :rolleyes: ), don't know how thick plugs you mean....
topping d50 back.jpg

MechEngVic

20190410_135552.jpg

I have a pair of homemade 99.9% pure solid silver wire RCA cables with locking silver plated connectors. I think they might just squeeze in.
20190410_133137.jpg

Kiko1974

This may be of interest for some of you and on page 5 they discuss the effects of Sabre digital filters. On page 4 one thing they talk about is why Hi Res makes sense as a sampling frequency of 192 Khz needs a simpler filter that has no pre-ringing and totally supresses aliasing, and let's not forget, and this is my own opinion, that the further the filter is from the audio band the better. In fact, most people think that Hi Res music makes no sense as we don't need to digitize signal that are beyond our hearing and from this point of view they're right but moving the filter far away the audio band gets the audible audio band sound better to our ears.
https://www.audiostream.com/content...ied-todays-audio-dacs-resonessence-labs-techn
Re-read my posts again. They clearly indicate that I consider ESS Technology to be the а MANUFACTURER, and messages related to ES9038Q2M. If we operate with technical data from the manufacturer, and not speculations from the owners of the golden cables and ears, we will see the following:
View attachment 26293
View attachment 26294
This proves that the filters are applied to the PCM with ANY valid Frame Clock Rate (audio data sample rate) and the filters (Linear Phase Fast Roll Off, for example) provides the stated values for any fs.
I haven't said the opposite, any PCM system at any sampling rate needs for a digital filter, what I said is that we don't know how they behave with Hi Res PCM and that while playing Hi Res PCM files like albums at 192 Khz/24 bit (as the Star Wars soundtracks) choosing between the different digital filters is not noticiable.
Also, Topping doesn't state how these filters behave with Hi Res material as the graphic chart with the behaviour of the different filters is obviously limited to red book resolution. I think this is because as I said earlier with 96/24 and 192/24 the filters chosen makes no difference but I think this is normal as they are operating far beyond the audio band where we are unable to hear their efects.
I just stick to FACTS, the graphic chart of the filters provided by the manufacturer, the use of Hi Res material of different resolutions and genres to see/hear differences between the filters.
You answer and behave in a harsh and intense way, it seems that you like to be always right. If you want to be right, then be it, you're right. I'm out of this "discussion".

MechEngVic

OK, follow up and first impressions:
My two questions: Will it work as a pre with a dynaco st70 II? YES. More than enough juice when paired with the chromecast audio or my laptop.
Can I fit fat RCA connectors on the outs? JUST BARELY, but they do go on and I can crank them down tight.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: With the chromecast audio by itself running through my adcom GTP-450, I was having to make significant treble corrections. S's, P's, T's, SH's were washing together in a shrill sounding distortion. It wasn't all bad because I do like me a crunchy midrange, that's why I love the EL-34 driven Dynaco. I even got Amperex-Mullard 6GH8A's in the gain stage for even more crunch. Running the chromecast straight thru the amp produced similar shrillness.
The D50 has eliminated the need for any treble adjustments, AND, I actually hear more top end. But it's not distorted, the S's are essing and the P's are peeing... figuratively.
I'm also noticing a more defined instrument and vocal placement in the listening space. When I close my eyes, I feel like some instruments are sitting a bit more forward or back in the room. It's a great sensation when your speakers are making you think sound is coming from behind them! That means the DAC is accurately imaging echo. Cymbal sounds are loud, long and my ears are accepting them.
The best part is I didn't loose any midrange crunch! It's all still there. A little Van Morrison was all it took to hear it.
I just listened to the Smith's "This night has opened my eyes (2011 remastered)", and I am picking up cymbal wash that I've never heard before. That's a good sign!
2019-05-17 20.59.12.jpg

Kiko1974

OK, follow up and first impressions:
My two questions: Will it work as a pre with a dynaco st70 II? YES. More than enough juice when paired with the chromecast audio or my laptop.
Can I fit fat RCA connectors on the outs? JUST BARELY, but they do go on and I can crank them down tight.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: With the chromecast audio by itself running through my adcom GTP-450, I was having to make significant treble corrections. S's, P's, T's, SH's were washing together in a shrill sounding distortion. It wasn't all bad because I do like me a crunchy midrange, that's why I love the EL-34 driven Dynaco. I even got Amperex-Mullard 6GH8A's in the gain stage for even more crunch. Running the chromecast straight thru the amp produced similar shrillness.
The D50 has eliminated the need for any treble adjustments, AND, I actually hear more top end. But it's not distorted, the S's are essing and the P's are peeing... figuratively.
I'm also noticing a more defined instrument and vocal placement in the listening space. When I close my eyes, I feel like some instruments are sitting a bit more forward or back in the room. It's a great sensation when your speakers are making you think sound is coming from behind them! That means the DAC is accurately imaging echo. Cymbal sounds are loud, long and my ears are accepting them.
The best part is I didn't loose any midrange crunch! It's all still there. A little Van Morrison was all it took to hear it.
I just listened to the Smith's "This night has opened my eyes (2011 remastered)", and I am picking up cymbal wash that I've never heard before. That's a good sign!
View attachment 26394
I'm glad that you like the Topping D50, I personally love it. Regardless of money it's the best digital sound improvement since I got my first SACD player back in 2002. And at least for me the best of all it's that it makes DSD files (ripped from my SACD's and put into a DoP container) shine like I've never heard them before. Sometimes when I play my DSD files or the 2015 Van Halen Chris Bellman remasters @192/24 or the Star Wars soundtracks @ 192/24 it's hard to believe that I'm listenning to a 200 Euro digital to analogue converter.
What kind of power supply are you using with your D50? I'm powering it with an EC Technology 22400 mAh powerbank. Using a USB tester that checks voltage, power consumption,Amperes, mAh and Watts its readings are rock solid. Doing the same tests on several mobile phone chargers with the same USB tester gives very different readings, most of all continuous voltage fluctuations.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Doing the same tests on several mobile phone chargers with the same USB tester gives very different readings, most of all continuous voltage fluctuations.
Have you tried with one of the Apple chargers? It seems to measure/test well elsewhere.

MechEngVic

I'm glad that you like the Topping D50, I personally love it. Regardless of money it's the best digital sound improvement since I got my first SACD player back in 2002. And at least for me the best of all it's that it makes DSD files (ripped from my SACD's and put into a DoP container) shine like I've never heard them before. Sometimes when I play my DSD files or the 2015 Van Halen Chris Bellman remasters @192/24 or the Star Wars soundtracks @ 192/24 it's hard to believe that I'm listenning to a 200 Euro digital to analogue converter.
What kind of power supply are you using with your D50? I'm powering it with an EC Technology 22400 mAh powerbank. Using a USB tester that checks voltage, power consumption,Amperes, mAh and Watts its readings are rock solid. Doing the same tests on several mobile phone chargers with the same USB tester gives very different readings, most of all continuous voltage fluctuations.
For power supply: I bought a $7 switching power supply from Amazon just to get it running. I got no hum, buzzes, or clicks at any point in my listening. So far I'm liking filter #5. I haven't even begun messing with the pc side of it yet, just the amazon music app on Android through the chromecast. I'll upgrade the power supply when I am able.

Papa Pewlew

Hi guys, would the d50 pair well with the Sennheiser HD660S, and JDS labs atom? Is the d50 too analytical for these two if i am aiming for a neutral setup? Thank you very much

Fernando

Forum Donor
Hi guys, would the d50 pair well with the Sennheiser HD660S, and JDS labs atom?
Yes!!!

Is the d50 too analytical for these two if i am aiming for a neutral setup? Thank you very much
Is not analytical, is pure!!

How much money do you have to spend to overcome this combination??? €€$$$€€

18333906-E72D-4AAE-BE6C-5870FAEE7971.jpeg

Fernando

Forum Donor
I have not noticed it especially hot.

Kiko1974

Wow, looks cool when in all black. Does the d50 feel hot after a long use? Currently using nano BL as DAC lol.

That combination would be an endgame for me.
It gets warm but that is normal, and warm device works (aka: sound) better than a cold one. One good thing about the D50 is that its aluminium chasis helps disipate heat.
I don't think the Topping D50 is not analitical, it's accurate.

Maunad83

Is it preferable to use upsample with the Topping D50? I use a Raspberry Pi3b with Volumio as transport, source is Qobuz Studio via UPNP (mconnect). Can you raccomend the best settings for resampling for Volumio and Moode with the D50?

Thanks

Kiko1974

Wow, looks cool when in all black. Does the d50 feel hot after a long use? Currently using nano BL as DAC lol.

That combination would be an endgame for me.
It gets warm but that is normal, and warm device works (aka: sound) better than a cold one. One good thing about the D50 is that its aluminium chasis helps disipate heat.
I don't think the Topping D50 is not analitical, it's accurate.
Is it preferable to use upsample with the Topping D50? I use a Raspberry Pi3b with Volumio as transport, source is Qobuz Studio via UPNP (mconnect). Can you raccomend the best settings for resampling for Volumio and Moode with the D50?

Thanks
I use my D50 for playing both Hi Res files (Hi Res PCM and DSD) and ripped CD's, I seldom play an original CD, you know, open the jewel case, get the disc out, put it on the player's tray and press play. I have most of my CD's ripped and as soon as I rip them I use Weiss Saracon to upsample the ripped CD to 176.4 Khz/24 bit, but beware, Saracon is expensive. The Sony X-800 UHD BD (and also SACD and DVD-Audio) player can upsample CD's to 88.2 Khz/24 bit and does a good job at it but Saracon is better.
By the way, playing Hi Res PCM files or upsampled CD's either at 88.2 Khz or 176.4 Khz makes the different filters sound exactely the same.

Top Bottom