• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Kiko1974

I just sprung for the D50 it's been playing PCM and DSD of various resolutions for several hours in a long loop. It sounds good with no clicks at format or resolution changes. Have not tested with higher DXD as I have only 358 DXD rather than 384 DXD files. I'm using Topping ASIO driver in Foobar, after I had trouble getting it set-up with WASAPI. Laptop plugged into mains and accessing files on NAS and PC over Ethernet, line out into Denon receiver.

My question: I want to connect this D50 (elsewhere) to a pair of AdamA7X powered monitors, set about 3 metres apart, any recommendations for rca cables to do this.
Amazon Basics cables are inexpensive and are well made.

Reactions: MWC

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For what it's worth I've been using an Apple USB adapter (the one that comes with the iPhone 6S Plus) for the longest time to power my D50 without any hiccups.
I picked up a barely-used D50 from a local guy today, not realizing it lacked a wall wart. I read the specs, and it needs a 5V, 1A wart. I tried an Apple wall wart for an ipad, and that worked fine, but I need that thing for my iPad! So I had an old Nikon camera charger rated at 5V, 1A -- works like a charm with the Topping D50.

The next thing was, I was getting dropouts from the optical out port on my Apple Airport Express. In the airport utility software, I noticed that the firmware needed updating. Did that, and that cured the data stream hiccuping. Now, I've replaced an analog Parasound Z-Pre and Sony XDR-F1HD tuner with a tiny DAC I can control wirelessly via iPad using Roon software to capture audio and web radio. The little Airport Express sits on top of the little Topping D50, answering the question: how small and minimalist can you go?

jonmichael

I have worked through all -- all -- 94 pages today (it is raining here, can't do yard work, drat!) and I have decided that I would like to upgrade from the DAC built into my XMC-1 to a D50. The XMC-1 works OK, but I hear too much digital glare and hope the D50 helps with that.

Question: while much discussion here centers around the DAC and various pieces of kit, I read nothing as to how it works with a Roon Nucleus. The Nucleus is Linux powered with my audio files on a 4TB external drive. I assume in this config the D50 is plug-and-play, requiring no drivers, etc., to be installed. Is that correct?

Any impressions on how the D50 handles the Nucleus' output will be appreciated.

Thanks!

MWC

@Mike Rife,
I also recently "...worked through all -- all -- 94 pages... "

I think, if you want to play DSD, you will need the Topping ASIO driver for best results, but I'm not sure there is one for a Linux system.

Not being a 'Roonerite' I would say it is very likely the D50 will simply be plug and play. The Nucleus is a server, right? Then I imagine it will play just as nicely with the D50 as my Windows LAN does. Better check with someone with a Nucleus, but I can't imagine why there would be an issue.

jonmichael

DSD
@Mike Rife,
I also recently "...worked through all -- all -- 94 pages... "

I think, if you want to play DSD, you will need the Topping ASIO driver for best results, but I'm not sure there is one for a Linux system.

Not being a 'Roonerite' I would say it is very likely the D50 will simply be plug and play. The Nucleus is a server, right? Then I imagine it will play just as nicely with the D50 as my Windows LAN does. Better check with someone with a Nucleus, but I can't imagine why there would be an issue.

DSD isn’t a priority; better playback of pcm is the goal. Thanks!

holsen

Just got one and I love it! It replaced an Arcam RDAC which I used to feed my TV AND a Sonos Connect to my B&O system in my living room. The rDAC completely elevated the output of the connect and made the TV sound incredible. This little d50 blows the Arcam awayn the bass is deeper, more defined, without being boomy. The overall presentation is wider, more spacious, with a lot more clarity a d the treble is more present. Cymbals just float in the Soundstage. I read a lot of reviews and they seemed to be split where half found it to be analytical and dry and harsh and others found it either warm and round to perfect. Many factors of course will affect the sound from amplification to speakers or headphones. For me when I first plugged it in I did find it a bit bright. I had the volume set to 0db for line out into my Amp. I dialed it down 2 notches to - 2db and it completely took the edge off. My wife came into the room and asked what did you do to the stereo, it sounds incredible. And that to me was the proof that what I was hearing wasn't anecdotal or placebo... Get one

Snafu

My question: I want to connect this D50 (elsewhere) to a pair of AdamA7X powered monitors, set about 3 metres apart, any recommendations for rca cables to do this.

I have used (usually) chinese ebay cables. here are free postage, 3m rca cables from ebay. just roll down until you find decent looking cables :D
i prefer plugs that can be opened to check insides, also it's good idea to measure them (ohms) before use to check cables plugs/wires are alright :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_FS=1&_sop=3&LH_ItemCondition=3&_nkw=3m rca cables&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=5&_udhi=25

edit: oh yeah almost forgot, when buying: compare plugs and cable thickness, pictures can be misleading

MWC

Thanks for the suggestion for RCA cables. I'm not sure if they make much of a difference, but I'm inclined to believe better made ones probably make some difference over cheap and shoddy made ones. Does anyone have any scientific measurements of how cables affect sound quality?

I did not use the Chinese sites as I need these cables to go with me on Tuesday on a flight to my other house where I'll use them: delivery from China would be too late. In the end I bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fisual-Install-Series-Phono-Cable-3-5m-Gold-Plated-Contacts-/381669819483

I am still very happy with my D50 purchase, it is such a cute little dac too. However before the year is over I will probably get a DX7s or a SMSL SU-8 and take advantage of XLRs. The D50 can then be happily re-purposed elsewhere.

Last edited:

chosen_too

Anyone else tried to replace Texas Instruments SN74LVC2G04DBVR CMOS 6-Pin SOT-23 to fix spdif input?

chosen_too

If you run at saming rate of multiples of 44.1khz there is no issue with spdif nor usb input. Very low jitter is observed. And sound is really good.

There is an issue - spdif input not working properly, no matter what device is used Allo Digione, CD player, digital streamer, when I barely touch device it's losing sync. USB work fine at same time.

chosen_too

Good day, ladies and gentlemen. Information for those who do not work coaxil input! It's epidemic. The cause of failure found: defective Dual Inverter Gate. In DAC, it is denoted as C04F. I replaced it with Texas Instruments SN74LVC2G04DBVR CMOS 6-Pin SOT-23. The unit earned.

Here it is. There are more complains on coaxial input too.

Topping's support is awful, no help from them.

MWC

@redford42, I have a D50: it does not come with an adapter, it has only a cable for power supply. It is a usb cable so as far as I know that always means it is 5v NOT 15V! Maybe JohnYang made a typo? The power supply you linked to looks suitable for your D50, if you are on 115V as the pictures show nothing for 240v.. I can't comment on speculation of it introducing any hum.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh guys sorry. I thought it was d30. My bad. All posts related are deleted.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi guys, this is my maiden post here, glad to be part of this forum. I've got a topping d50 dac on the way. I'm going to connect it to the LG V20 and I was wondering if you guys could let me know if this PSU was okay for it as I have no wallwart:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/25V...output-DC-5V-3-5A-upgrade-to/32866873223.html
You don't need to spend almost half as much as the DAC for a psu, here is the one I use for my D50, works perfectly, and is about $15: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-POWE...241633?hash=item1a1f6ac8e1:g:fs4AAOSwal5YH3LI

Top Bottom