• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Roberto

Apologies if this has already been answered, but it’s a long thread.
I’m streaming Tidal lossless with a Chromecast Audio into the optical input of a Topping D50. The display indicates PCM 44.1kHz 24Bit.
When I stream from Spotify in the same way the display indicates exactly the same. Is this correct? I was expecting something different.

gorg

Rephrasing my problem: When playing PCM sources, my DAC shows the sample rate but *not* the bit rate. Doe anyone has a similar problem? My serial number is 1811XXXXXX

It's not 'bit rate' but 'bit depth'. What's your f/w version?
My D50 shows:
- DSD(64 for example) mode:
DSD64 2.82MHz 1Bit

- PCM 44100 (or higher) 24 bit / 32 bit (I'm unable to set to 16bit @USB connection):
PCM 44.1kHz (or higher) 24Bit (or 32Bit)

-PCM Redbook via optical:
PCM 44.1 00Bit

f/w 1.03

Last edited:

Technopiper

It's not 'bit rate' but 'bit depth'. What's your f/w version?
My D50 shows:
- DSD(64 for example) mode:
DSD64 2.82MHz 1Bit

- PCM 44100 (or higher) 24 bit / 32 bit (I'm unable to set to 16bit @USB connection):
PCM 44.1kHz (or higher) 24Bit (or 32Bit)

-PCM Redbook via optical:
PCM 44.1 00Bit

f/w 1.03
Thank you for the correction. You learn something new everyday.
Firmware version 1.03. I have tried on Win8.1, Win10, even my android tablet. All left a blank at bit depth. Sample rates display correctly otherwise. DSD streams display bit depth as "1Bit", which is correct.

bboris77

Where are you guys downloading the 1.03 firmware from? It would be interesting to know what changed in this version. The latest version on their website is 1.02.

Technopiper

I'm using USB and I can set bit depth to 16, 24, or 32bit at windows. At foobar I can set to 8/16/24/32.
I wonder if Topping add/remove features in different batches? My serial is 1811xxxxxx.

Vosya

It would be interesting to know what changed in this version.
"[...] It improve very little in compatibility with some portable lossless media player. For the improvement is limit, we did not send to the public.

TOPPING service "

gorg

I'm using USB and I can set bit depth to 16, 24, or 32bit at windows. At foobar I can set to 8/16/24/32.
I wonder if Topping add/remove features in different batches? My serial is 1811xxxxxx.

I can set 16 bit in Windows/Foobar too, BUT it still shows bit depth set in Topping Device Control Panel, there are only 2 choices: 24/32 bit.

Technopiper

Mystery solved! I phoned Topping customer service just now, and the person told me that bit depth display has been removed from the latest models of the D50. It used to display bit depth as whatever you set at the player (24 or 32) and not the actual bit depth of the streamed audio. Bit depth display has been removed to avoid confusion. Now I can finally relax and enjoy the music. :)

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 455

bboris77

Whatever is causing the "blink" is out of my reach, yeah. No BIOS settings or power plan seems to affect it. The Gigabyte (home) laptop just does it wrong, while the Razer (work) laptop does it right.
I had the same issue on my PC which has a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard. I fixed it by disabling ErP support in BIOS. Ironically, disabling this option means that USB ports will be powered even if your PC is shut off. Nevertheless, once I did this, my D50 correctly recognized that there was no signal being sent and turned itself off after a minute.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just ordered mine. I currently have the JDS Atom amp and a KhadasTB on top of it. The KTB ia a bit bulky and I miss a screen with info about the incoming signal, so lets try this thing!

Technopiper

Topping claims that the D50 is able to decode audio signals up to 768kHz/32-bit. I played a piece of music ripped from LP source to test that out. Okay I was bored and had to ease my audiophilic insecurities.:p It plays well and sounds good. But does it sound *better*? I have no idea.;)

Attachments

• D50.jpg
    D50.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 380

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered mine. I currently have the JDS Atom amp and a KhadasTB on top of it. The KTB ia a bit bulky and I miss a screen with info about the incoming signal, so lets try this thing!

Please report when you receive it and try it. I'm also interested to know it if's nice with a JDS Lab Atom.

PorchSong

Please report when you receive it and try it. I'm also interested to know it if's nice with a JDS Lab Atom.

I have the D50 and the Atom. Sounds amazing--and looks good paired up. I also use the D50 with my Aune X7s amp (class A and also amazing!). I use my HifiMan HE-4XX and the Senns HD 6xx with the D50/Atom rig and they both cans have more than enough power and sound beautiful.

I am waiting for Khadas to come out with their balanced in/out tone board as I want to hear that AKM chip 'velvet' sound. Once that board comes out--and if it performs like their current tone board--I might be finished acquiring new with headphone amps & dacs in general, unless I end up going for the THX AAA-789 (the struggle is real).

Attachments

• D50 - Atom.png
    D50 - Atom.png
    892.1 KB · Views: 296

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the D50 and the Atom. Sounds amazing--and looks good paired up. I also use the D50 with my Aune X7s amp (class A and also amazing!). I use my HifiMan HE-4XX and the Senns HD 6xx with the D50/Atom rig and they both cans have more than enough power and sound beautiful.

I am waiting for Khadas to come out with their balanced in/out tone board as I want to hear that AKM chip 'velvet' sound. Once that board comes out--and if it performs like their current tone board--I might be finished acquiring new with headphone amps & dacs in general, unless I end up going for the THX AAA-789 (the struggle is real).

Thank you, you ASR fanboy ;-)

PorchSong

Is Khadas switching to an AKM chip in their next Tone Board offering?

You could try Geshelli ENOG2 which seems to measure well - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-geshelli-enog2-pro-dac.6051/

I could be wrong on the AKM on new Khadas board, but I thought I read it somewhere. Anyway, I love my D50 but want to tryout a AKM. Thanks for the link. I could also see myself getting the Topping DX3 Pro, but it appears Topping hasn't fixed the standby issue peeps are having.

Top Bottom