• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

D

Deleted member 65

Could some of you D50 owners out there send Pink Noise using REW's Generator to L & R channels as per my prev posts and note what's happening.

Would be very interesting to see if this behaviour is unique to my D50.

Last edited by a moderator:

gorg

Could some of you D50 owners out there send Pink Noise using REW's Generator to L & R channels as per my prev posts and note what's happening.

Would be very interesting to see if this behaviour is unique to my D50.
I just tried pink noise "test". Right channel fails every time after 2...4 seconds. It occurs @every buffer settings. If I set output to L+R, right channel works fine....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

I just checked pink noise generated in Audacity: L is ok, L+R is ok, R only - fails after 5...6 seconds... wtf...

Great having problem replicated.

If you have a decent DIMM try to measure output from L and R channels, see if you get the fluctuations I got in the right channel (1.4 - 1.5 V).

And I got exactly same as you with L+R Ok and L Ok.

gorg

Audacity, sine 1kHz, amplitude 0 (?0dBFS), L: 1,918-1,919V, R: 1,941-1,942V, steady.
Is it REW's generator on your screenshots? If so - what version?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

Audacity, sine 1kHz, amplitude 0 (?0dBFS), L: 1,918-1,919V, R: 1,941-1,942V, steady.
Is it REW's generator on your screenshots? If so - what version?

Latest Beta 2 version of REW, 0dBFS, L steady 1.5, R 1.4-1.5V, iFi iDAC2 both channels steady at 1.5V.

D

Deleted member 65

Done some more testing of the D50 today.

Setup: Connected to D50's Coax port using iFi iDAC2 as DDC, see picture below.

Tested using both Windows standard test of a sound device as well as REW's Generator.

Result: Not a single beep comes out thru the D50 using Coax input. D50 turns off automatically after a minute or so displaying message "See You".

Verified that the iDAC2 works okey.

Conclusion: There's two issues with the Topping D50:

1. Implementation of the Right channel DAC/Port.

2. Implementation of the Coax Port.

Could be Firmware or Hardware problem. Anyone got access to previous D50 Firmware?

Edit: Sent in report #2 to Topping.

1545567124107.png

vafan13

I used to use Aiso driver, but recently I decided to clean my computer off unecessary stuff and thus using Wasapi now. However while Wasapi push mode works fine, event mode is broken with very distorted sounds. Is there any difference between them, and how can I fix it?

Did you ever figure this out? I just got my D50 and at first thought it was DOA due to said distortion, then realized it wasn't playing well with WASPI event.

zephyros

Did you ever figure this out? I just got my D50 and at first thought it was DOA due to said distortion, then realized it wasn't playing well with WASPI event.
I didn't managed to fixed it, but I did noticed that it only works normally with 44.1Khz music and not with 96Khz, so st is going on there. I'm using Aiso4All atm.
Update: Aiso4All also suffer from the same problem. Installing Topping driver and everything works fine. Unfortunately I don't want extra installation on the computer so I'm sticking with Wasapi push now (the sample rate does reflect on the screen so I think there's no resampling here). On linux Alsa output seems to works fine without driver.
Update 2: When I change buffer size of Aiso4All to 2048 samples it works normal again, so probably that. Also DSD file suffer from the same problem unless I changes the buffer offset to 20ms. The Topping screen display the sample rate correctly in both cases.
Update 3: Scrath that. I changes the buffer offset to 0ms the buffer size to 64 samples and all play correctly. If I increase the buffer size to 2048 with buffer offset 0ms it start distorting again. So I'm keeping that setting for now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

@TP-Wong , more testing of the D50 today using slightly different hardware.

Setup: Connected to D50's Coax port using Singxer SU-1 as DDC, see picture below. Both USB & Coax cables are different from prev test.

Tested using both Windows standard test of a sound device as well as REW's Generator.

Result: With this setup beep comes out thru the D50 using Coax input and Windows std test of sound devices.

Using REW's Generator sending Pink Noise to D50's Right channel turns it off after ~ 3-5 secs. Left channel works fine.

Conclusion: There's two issues with the Topping D50:

1. Implementation of the Right channel DAC/Port.

2. Implementation of the Coax Port. Seems to be shaky, does not work with iFi iDAC2 as DDC but works with Singxer SU-1 except the Pink Noise which does not work for the Right channel in any configuration.

Edit: Third report sent in to Topping, still no response!

1545822551573.png

toppology

i tested the topping d50 with linux and also with an old sony cdp-911 optical connected. sounds very good but!!!

my cheaper modified sony cdp-411 sounds better than boths with crappies jrc4558 opamps.
Would suggest you re-evaluate what to be considered as "crappy"
;)
Audio perception for sure is way more than just about specs.

Veri

Master Contributor
Audio perception for sure is way more than just about specs.
You're right! There's also your mood, your surroundings, how comfortable you are clothed and what beverage you're consuming!

sorry couldn't resist ;)

toppology

As much as I adore the grounders effort in bringing some cloudlessness into audio topics by vastly relating on AP measurements, this nevertheless covers just a facet of what our ear brain system matured ages over ages is picking up when trained.

No hard feelings.

Reactions: MWC

yeaster

I'm revamping my room and looking to downsize. Just sold off my trusty old belcanto c5i and wharfedale diamond 220 bookshelves.

After much reading and going back and forth, I've just purchased this dac. Would appreciate if you all could give some recommendations to my 3 burning questions

1) Anyone pairs them up with a hybrid haedphone tube amp? Preferably something running on 6922/6dj8 tubes. I read up on massdrop CTH but sadly it does not work as a preamp. Used to own an original Lyr (lasted 2 mths), littledot mkIV (lasted 2 years) and a garage1217 ember (lasted 2 years).

2) Likely will be buying a nuprime STA-6 because of its small form factor and some nice reviews online. Are there any other choices that I should consider?

3) Lastly but the most difficult, speakers... Looking some small bookshelves and cannot really decide which should I go for. Right now have shortlisted 4 speakers, Q acoustics 3010 (non-i), Dali Zensor Pico, Monitor Audio Raduis 90 and wharfedale d320. As much as KEF LS50 looks nice and with many rave reviews, it is too expensive for me and size wise would be too much. (Height preferably below 260mm)

toppology

Ok
Are there already pictures form inside the D50?

toppology

Thanks
I would have hoped for some more detailled ones, to better see what parts are on and where to possibly tap in for modifications

Reason is the specs are certainly stellar, but auditioning feedback isn't.
SQ seems to be ok, vastly provided by happy new owners, but on the long run I see a lot of people selling the D50 as the initial hype obviously does not make it very long.

For me it would be solely a starting point with solid specs but not expecting to really satisfy me in its stock form.

Having read through this thread I also was hoping that a full set of USB measurements would come up.
Did I miss them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom